What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#24401  Postby Hermit » Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Macdoc wrote:Image

There are a very few that are just exceptionally talented at what they choose to do.....Peter Brock is one of them.
Well done film. :cheers:

Peter Brock was a big fish in a small pond. His prodigious number of wins were limited to touring car races, and only in Australia. Unlike other Australians, like three time formula one world champion (1959, 1960, 1966) Jack Brabham, one time formula one world champion (1980) Alan Jones, nine time formula one Grand Prix winner Mark Webber, who took third place in the 2010, 2011 and 2013 world championship series, and six time formula one Grand Prix winner Daniel Ricciardo, who took third place in the 2014 and 2016 world championship series, he never made much of an impression overseas, let alone driving open wheelers at the top level - or any level for that matter.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#24402  Postby Hermit » Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Mike_L wrote:

You missed the best scene.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#24403  Postby Mike_L » Sep 18, 2020 6:36 pm

:lol: Best gif ever.

As for OwlKitty...

Nearly 700 000 Instagram followers in less than eighteen months... :smile:

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#24404  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Never a movie keft me in that much complicated feelings, pity, revenge, anger, joy its ending was priceless.

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#24405  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 26, 2020 8:42 am

That was good "Alone" 2020

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#24406  Postby Mike_L » Sep 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Dismal.
It's a monster mash-up that's reasonably true to its Japanese source material, but it never rises to any great heights.
Story and characters are secondary to the FX, and that's fine for this sort of movie. Just a pity that those FX are so darn weak!
The live-action human characters never interact convincingly with the CG monsters, backgrounds and hardware. They're on a separate layer unaffected by waves, fire and flying debris. :roll:
And every major sequence takes place at night or in a big murky cloud. Perhaps this was a sort of homage to the low-budget 1950s movies, in which smoke effects and low-light filming were used to conceal on-set wires and braces. I dunno. Anyway, it all looks very cheap and crappy.
Waste of time.
2/10
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#24407  Postby arugula2 » Sep 26, 2020 4:42 pm

I seem to remember liking the effects/monsters generally. I saw it on an imax screen I think? Idr it being dark/murky, but if it was, maybe it was to accommodate the 3D version (if there was one).

The humans & “plot” ruin the movie, sadly.

Added: just noticed Gareth Edwards (directed the previous Godzilla - but more importantly, wrote & directed the under-appreciated Monsters) is developing an original scifi project set in the near future. Intrigued.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Bolivia (bo)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Boys State (2020): so-so

#24408  Postby arugula2 » Sep 30, 2020 2:11 am

Image Boys State (2020)

(Apple.) It has its moments. It's about an American Legion tradition in which ~20,000 adolescent boys and girls attend a summer camp that immerses them in "parliamentary procedure". The group of boys in this docu spend a few weeks on the grounds of the Texas state capitol, pretending to build & run the platform of one of two imaginary parties - the Nationalists and the Federalists. I suppose the names hark back to when Texans wore their feelings of self-determination closer to the surface, but the idea (of either party's platform reflecting this historical secessionist struggle) is barely detectable here. You get what you get: a bunch of 16- to 19-year-olds playing at politics. It's embarrassing, but it's sometimes surprising. The reality is, actual American politics aren't any more developed than this, or any less adolescent.

The movie knows what's worth watching - it focuses on 4 boys in particular, two of them running for "governor" and two of them chairing their respective parties. All 4 are somewhat more fascinating than you suspect. The entire project is nauseating, but at least these 4 render it watchable.
Last edited by arugula2 on Sep 30, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arugula

arugula2

Bolivia (bo)
Print view this post

Knives Out (2019): Eh

#24409  Postby arugula2 » Sep 30, 2020 2:36 am

Image Knives Out (2019)

(Prime.) Maybe if I hadn't immediately decided the morphine wasn't morphine (making me not buy anything that happened afterwards) I might've been more entertained by the entanglements? But not really. The writing sucks, and the direction is obvious. It doesn't take itself seriously, and the cast is ok, salvaging some of the fun. But... eh.

The best thing in it is Frank Oz as the lawyer, and in retrospect his exit (he's told he's no longer useful, and says "Thank you." with visible relief) is prescient.
arugula

arugula2

Bolivia (bo)
Print view this post

#24410  Postby arugula2 » Sep 30, 2020 3:00 am

Huh... watching Gemini Man... :ask: ...I don't get what the fuss is so far ...30 mins in, not horrible.
arugula

arugula2

Bolivia (bo)
Print view this post

#24411  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 30, 2020 4:42 am

Some horror I've watched recently.

Host (2020) A group of women friends hold a little seance type thing over Zoom and seem to summon something. Horror ensues. Not a whole lot that hasn't been done before, but staging it in iso times does give it its own flavour. Pretty enjoyable for the most part and mostly effective. You do feel like you're in the chat.

The Rental (2020) Two complicated couples rent a house by the sea for a holiday, but find out they're being watched. There's horror especially towards the end. But most of the film is observing people unravel. Worth a watch. Pretty crisp look to the film. Has Alison Brie, too.

The Beach House (2020) A young couple stay at a beach house, meet an older couple, and encounter an environmental monstrosity of some kind. Interesting if not fully developed. A bit more character depth would've helped. There's still a very salty sea feeling running through it and the horror takes that on.

The Wretched
(2019) A young family is slowly taken over by something that lives in the woods and a young guy living next door tries to intervene. Patriarchal premise aside, pretty solid look and film. But could've really tapped into its horror potential better for some full on tragic stuff. Overall, entertaining enough.

1BR (2020) A young woman moves into a new place with a very friendly community around her but strange occurrences quickly escalate and she finds it's not quite the community she thought it was. Interesting turn, not what it looked like from the trailer, has shades of The Invitation in the end. More of a psychological horror film. Didn't like the lead initially, but she grew on me as the film got into its groove (on purpose).

Followed (2018) Finally, some found footage! A youtuber and his crew visit a hotel with a history of disappearances and death and try their hand at debunking an urban legend around one of those who went missing. It's one of those found footage films that's a little too crisp and choreographed to really feel like found footage - more of a "here's an excuse to only show certain things" deal. And there are a lot of jump scares. But there's some creeps in there too. Not perfect, but as found footage goes it's definitely more entertaining than usual.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24412  Postby Mike_L » Sep 30, 2020 9:20 am

arugula2 wrote:Huh... watching Gemini Man... :ask: ...I don't get what the fuss is so far ...30 mins in, not horrible.

From what I've seen, most of the complaints center on the high frame rate version... the cinema release at 120 fps (frames per second).
It's 2012 redux... a repeat of the criticisms leveled at The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which was screened (in some cinemas) at 48 fps. Some viewers complained that the frame rate (double the usual 24 fps) robbed the movie of a cinematic look and made it look more like video.
At quintuple the usual cinematic frame rate, Gemini Man was even further removed from the classic 'movie look'. Some YouTube critics claim to have seen both a 24 fps version and a 120 fps version, with the lower frame rate strongly favored. The special visual FX which look good at 24 fps look too 'sharp' (less motion blur) at 120 fps. At the higher frame rate, they lean more toward the 'video game look'. The scenes that fare especially poorly are those in which digital stand-ins are used (much of the motorbike sequence, for example).
I saw it on TV at 24 fps. In terms of both story and FX, it was okay, IMO. Good enough, but not memorable. I give it 6/10.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#24413  Postby aliihsanasl » Oct 03, 2020 10:02 am

"Stay" 2005

I didnt understand anything

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Gemini Man (2019): Ok

#24414  Postby arugula2 » Oct 03, 2020 6:46 pm

Image Gemini Man (2019)

(Prime.) Silly and full of holes. Some fun action sequences, but mostly deserted set pieces. Dumb villain, dumb motivation, dumb "story". The leads are enjoyable, and the dialogue between them isn't garbage. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is more interesting than the material she's given. But kudos to the script for not requiring her character to fuck someone. Doesn't take itself seriously - I laughed out loud 2-3 times at its self-jabs.

I thought the movie was being broadly panned, but I may have been going off this review by the Tested people from a year ago, which in retrospect mainly complained about the frame rate; and the critic blurbs, most of which mention it. The younger clone does look terrible in the early (poorly lit) scenes, even in normal fps.
arugula

arugula2

Bolivia (bo)
Print view this post

Texas: America Supersized (2004): Interesting

#24415  Postby arugula2 » Oct 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Texas: America Supersized (2004)

(Youtube.) I saw this a few weeks ago. A very abbreviated look at Texans, but a decent overview. Two things I like about Hitchens are here: he finds interesting representations for the point he's making, and he makes interesting points. He was also a very good writer, and that's on display here. Worth a watch, as a kind of aperitif to the bloated beef carcass that is the "lone star" state.

"Texas: America Supersized" (TheHitchensArchive)
arugula

arugula2

Bolivia (bo)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#24416  Postby Animavore » Oct 08, 2020 4:03 pm

MV5BODNlNWVjOTMtZjVjYy00MzRjLTg2MmQtNTM3MWVmZjFjYzgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_UY1200_CR114,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
MV5BODNlNWVjOTMtZjVjYy00MzRjLTg2MmQtNTM3MWVmZjFjYzgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_UY1200_CR114,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg (69.29 KiB) Viewed 88 times

Usually when a movie tries to deliberately be so bad it's good you either end up seeing through the ruse (Planet Terror), or it's just an excuse for a hack job (Sharknado).

I can only surmise they set out to make this so bad it's good on purpose but then failed at that and this is meta so bad it's good.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24417  Postby Animavore » Oct 09, 2020 7:58 pm

MV5BNGMxZTY0MGMtOTQzZS00YjdmLTk3NWEtYTgxYzgwNzc5MTM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzMDM0NTU@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNGMxZTY0MGMtOTQzZS00YjdmLTk3NWEtYTgxYzgwNzc5MTM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzMDM0NTU@._V1_.jpg (141.55 KiB) Viewed 71 times

Back to basics. Simple. Brutal. Entertaining.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24418  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 12, 2020 8:12 am

Fukushima 50
Drama and suspense film about the disaster at Fukushima.

Liked it. 7.5/10.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24419  Postby Animavore » Oct 17, 2020 10:05 pm

This was pretty great.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24420  Postby arugula2 » Oct 17, 2020 10:07 pm

That's the Sorkin one? Yeesh... Well, I'm curious. :)
arugula

arugula2

Bolivia (bo)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV