White Temple Wat Rong Khun (Wat Rong Khun) Thailand

Way weirder than Hieronymus Bosch

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby crank » Sep 01, 2015 4:21 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it's so cool, I wanted to put it somewhere.

I want to see this, amazing. amazingly weird, incredibly beautiful. I don't think there are Gothic examples that achieve these levels of weird. Descriptions would fail, a few examples:

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: White Temple Wat Rong Khun (Wat Rong Khun) Thailand

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Just to note:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Rong_Khun

Wat Rong Khun (Thai: วัดร่องขุ่น), perhaps better known to foreigners as the White Temple, is a contemporary, unconventional, privately owned, art exhibit in the style of a Buddhist temple in Chiang Rai Province,

This one though, is an actual temple;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Phra_Dhammakaya

The UFO temple! Thailand's answer to scientology? :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby crank » Oct 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks for the input, I'm surprised I shoulda thought to check wiki myself. This is surprising, he only spent approximately US $1 million so far, and it's not set for completion until 2070! Wiki had some other pix .

By the end of the 20th century, the original Wat Rong Khun was in a bad state of repair. Funds were not available for renovation. Chalermchai Kositpipat, a local artist from Chiang Rai, decided to completely rebuild the temple and fund the project with his own money.[2]To date, Chalermchai has spent THB40 million [1.1 million US dollars] of his own money on the project.[3] The artist intends for the area adjacent to the temple to be a center of learning and meditation and for people to gain benefit from the Buddhist teachings. Kositpipat considers the temple to be an offering to Lord Buddha and believes the project will give him immortal life.[4] Today the works are ongoing, but are not expected to be completed until 2070.[4] Admission to the wat compound is free. Donations are accepted, but are not to exceed THB10,000 [$275], as Chalermchai refuses to be influenced by big donors.[3]

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 06, 2015 4:55 pm

It's pretty odd stuff! :)

Actually, the hydra type stuff - the spiky gargoyles - that's pretty common for Thai temples. But the hands, and horns, and screaming people - that might be from a Western influence, not sure but never seen anything like it here!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby crank » Oct 06, 2015 5:54 pm

While it's interesting what is and isn't authentic Buddhist, I'm pretty much blown away by how cool it all is. I'd love to tour the place while tripping. That one with all the people with their hands raised is a little disturbing, and I don't know what to make of the last one in my original post, it's just freaky, might be really weird to see it up close on LSD.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6  Postby NineBerry » Oct 07, 2015 8:25 am

Looks great
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male