Malaysians ready to honor Hindu god of war, fertility

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Malaysians ready to honor Hindu god of war, fertility

#1  Postby DoctorE » Jan 13, 2011 8:51 am

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters Life!) – To give thanks to a powerful god for blessing him with a longed-for daughter, Sharma Muthu will skewer his tongue with a spear for Malaysia's largest Hindu festival.

The government official will be one of many thousands who will go into a trance and pierce their bodies with hooks and spears to honor Lord Murugan, the god of war and fertility, at his limestone cave temple in the Malaysian capital next Thursday.

"I have five sons and I always wanted a daughter. No medicine could have helped me in this so I turned to the god and put my faith in him. Now I must repay this miracle," Muthu said after he offered prayers at the Batu Caves shrine ahead of the festival.

Malaysians are increasingly seeking spiritual aid from an assortment of gods and faith healers to solve personal problems in this mostly-Muslim but multi-religious Southeast Asia nation.

The Thaipusam festival, which originated in the Southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu and was introduced to Malaysia in the 19th century by immigrant Indian estate workers, reflects a growing faith in the Hindu god's power to bless devotees with children and cure serious illnesses.

Continues: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110113/lf_ ... a_festival
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Malaysians ready to honor Hindu god of war, fertility

#2  Postby trubble76 » Jan 13, 2011 11:54 am

I prayed to my prawn salad for something fairly likely too, and praise be to the Prawny Salady One, a miracle occured. The phone didn't ring while I was sat on the porcelain throne. Hallellujia. I might just skip the mutilation part though, ktnxbai.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems