Buddhist Faith Schools?

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Buddhist Faith Schools?

#1  Postby Emo Bear » Jan 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Do they exist in the western world (especially in England)?

If they do exist, please tell me about them.

If they do not exist, then I think the Buddhists are missing out.
They should start cashing in on this like christians and muslims. :plan:

Emo Bear

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Buddhist Faith Schools?

#2  Postby Nebogipfel » Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm

If there have to be "faith schools", I would rather they where Buddhist than any other kind...
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 19, 2011 1:23 pm

They're not a proselytising religion, and they don't really have an epic world story, so they have less woo to inculcate and therefore don't need an entire school devoted to doing it.

It's more ritualistic than anything.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Taigu » Feb 20, 2011 10:48 am

To me the words "Buddhist" and "faith" are totally contradictory. Loosely speaking I'm Zen Buddhist and I view the word "faith" as a swear word. It implies accepting unproven statements and irrationality as truth. To me Buddhism means seeking the truth - whatever the truth happens to be, without any preconceptions. Science provides the hard facts and rigorous methodology for investigation. Zen provides a means of self enquiry to explore the psychological domain. I will however grant you that in many parts of the World where Buddhism is the endemic religion that it is treated by the general populace as a "faith". Anyone who prays to the Buddha might just as well pray to the flying spaghetti monster. ... If you ever see Buddha walking along the road, kill him. (to paraphrase the old Buddhist saying).
Taigu

Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 20, 2011 11:12 am

Taigu wrote:I will however grant you that in many parts of the World where Buddhism is the endemic religion that it is treated by the general populace as a "faith".

It's very much a faith here - it just has less baggage than the middle-eastern varieties.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems