Hinduism, Contemporary India and its religious problems

a lot to say and learn.

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Hinduism, Contemporary India and its religious problems

#1  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 11, 2011 8:37 am

I would say that to really be able to learn about religion one needs to look at various species and its modes of survival. Hinduism here offers a perspective which at times is oldest and tribal and at times young and modern .
Firstly, as we all know that religions are man-made, we can perhaps put ourselves in a better position by describing how religions have evolved in recent times as an added evidence for our position. This becomes irrefutable and hence a better body of knowledge on which we can stand on.
I wouldn't try to describe until a better time but for now, I will post websites from the people who do pretty well.

Ashish Nandy- Psychologist(atheist with a christian background), takes a position somewhat similar to scott atran. He shows or tries to show,that in India, secularism is perhaps not the best way to go. (Easily, one of the most important public intellectual in India).
Here, they are discussing about Partition(division of India primarily on the basis of religion) because Hindus and Muslims cannot live in peace in the same place, nothing much has changed even now and perhaps things might get ugly in future.- my words :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ikxgynt1rs[/youtube]
Last edited by cavarka9 on Mar 11, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hinduism, Contemporary India and its religious problems

#2  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 11, 2011 8:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhmmt7E3rac&feature=related[/youtube]
Having trouble posting :confused:
Any way, In the second part, he summarizes himself, something along these lines.
" All ideologues have an ambivalent attitude towards their subjects, feminists are radically prone to criticize women, marxists towards the proletariat, hindutva towards the hindus. Because all ideologies are built on thin ice and hence they are constantly threatening and reminding their subjects".
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matt_B » Mar 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Fixed it for you:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhmmt7E3rac[/youtube]

You need to get rid of the "&feature=related" bit of the URL.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shiv » Jul 20, 2011 8:47 am

Hey buddy Cavarka9!

I was just thinking of how to start our own discussion. Will it be okay if I want to discuss stuff here? Especially, when you've given such an apt title within which we can discuss caste, women's rights, untouchability and similar other stuff.

I am expecting a nice learning experience :)
Shiv

Name: Shivsankar
Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby cavarka9 » Jul 20, 2011 8:53 am

Shiv wrote:Hey buddy Cavarka9!

I was just thinking of how to start our own discussion. Will it be okay if I want to discuss stuff here? Especially, when you've given such an apt title within which we can discuss caste, women's rights, untouchability and similar other stuff.

I am expecting a nice learning experience :)

You are welcome
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Shiv » Jul 21, 2011 3:29 am

Let's start then. FYI, I'm trying to understand different perspectives of each issue - my aim is to find an amicable solution one day that is acceptable to at least many, if not all. I hope you would do justice to the discussion in light of my above view.

What is caste in your opinion? Why do you think it is bad?
Shiv

Name: Shivsankar
Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems