Do you believe in fate? if so should i follow mine

Question

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby Solar » May 13, 2011 9:25 pm

if yes, what if that person was everything you ever wanted you know, looks amazing makes your heart melt just by looking at you.. appreciates the little things that you do for him/her but obviously there is a down side to it! he or she has a different religion.. how would you feel? because as you know deep in your heart you would cross the world for that person would you be capable of doing that one thing for him? would you change your religion? would you have it in your guts to give up what you have been born to believe in and just live for today and forget about tomorrow? if no why? you say that you love him/her so why not? if yes why? cant you just wait for god to give you something less perfect and more realistic so what maybe mr.2 dosnt have the looks or money houses carer but he has god?

that leaves you with the question weeding at a church or mosque

What you think?
Last edited by Solar on May 13, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solar
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Re: Do you believe in faith? if so should i follow mine

#2  Postby Animavore » May 13, 2011 9:28 pm

What exactly are you asking here?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Solar » May 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Would you change your religion for someone you love. if you both believe in different religion?

EDIT: Sorry, the OP should say " fate" instead of faith.
Solar
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Re: Do you believe in fate? if so should i follow mine

#4  Postby Animavore » May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Ah. Ok. I was thrown off by it saying "faith" in the title.

As for the different religion thing, it depends how far apart the two views are in their worldview and morals.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Fallible » May 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Don't believe in fate, no. It's hard for me to think like a religious person, so I don't know whether I could give up a religion for someone. I guess I'd say sure, no problem, but then I don't have a religion to begin with.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby z8000783 » May 13, 2011 10:13 pm

How do you know when it's fate and when it's not?

Anyway the answer would still be No.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Solar » May 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Fallible wrote:Don't believe in fate, no. It's hard for me to think like a religious person, so I don't know whether I could give up a religion for someone. I guess I'd say sure, no problem, but then I don't have a religion to begin with.

No i don't believe *fate...I believe who ever comes in to my bed..lol seriously fate is good thing with one problem ..God gave us choice right? but we cant use that choice when it comes fate..so good one bad one its fate

if you are non-believer, the " god gave us choice" will not make sense to u
Solar
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#8  Postby Fallible » May 13, 2011 10:40 pm

You're right, it doesn't. But no, choice/free will and fate are not compatible concepts.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby jim » May 13, 2011 11:03 pm

I neither belive in fate not could i date a religious person.
She could be the most beautiful woman ever, lusted afted by thousands, as soon as she opens her mouth and woo comes out... Well why bother?
Obviously deeply incompatible at a very basic level, i mean, why the fuck would anyone put up with such idiocy for the remainder of their life for a nice set of tits or a pretty face?
Give me a thinking woman, someone who appreciates life for what it is, can share my enjoyment and wonder at the things our time in life has to offer, someone who can daily challenge and/or enhance the time we spend together.
Obviously a physical attraction is desirable, but surely one need not give up who they are and how they think to find someone both like-minded and desirable?
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Solar » May 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Fallible: good point

A friend of mine said We are muslim before anything, before our ethnic group, our race, our culture, and so on.

I lol'd what you think of that?
Solar
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#11  Postby my_wan » May 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Your question does not make sense. You ask if fate exist and if so should i follow mine. If you have a fate you have no choice but to follow it. It is only if you do not have a fate that you would get to choose whether to follow it or not, but then you cannot follow it because it does not exist. In which case do what you wish, which will also be your fate if it exist.
my_wan

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » May 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Solar wrote:Fallible: good point

A friend of mine said We are muslim before anything, before our ethnic group, our race, our culture, and so on.

If they mean Islam comes first in terms of importance, that may very well be the case for a lot of Muslims. I know that for many people of all faiths, their religion is the defining factor in their lives. I suppose that would then make it extremely difficult for someone to give up or change their religion for the love of someone of a different faith. Personally I can't get my head around being that wedded to something (pardon the pun).
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Grimstad » May 14, 2011 12:18 am

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I said to a woman, "Do you ever feel like all the events in your life were just to bring you to this one point in time?" 25 years later I can honestly say at most, 5 of them were really good years. Fate isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down. - Mal Reynolds

I'm on zero pills, and I miss them.
--Mindy Elise Grayson
Grimstad

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Onyx8 » May 14, 2011 4:09 am

Solar wrote:Would you change your religion for someone you love. if you both believe in different religion?

EDIT: Sorry, the OP should say " fate" instead of faith.

How can you change your religion for someone else? Isn't it that you believe in the religion you follow and the others are just silly, or can you alter your beliefs at will?

I would say that actually you don't have any beliefs, you just want to belong to some group. Apparently a group containing some attractive person.

Pretty shallow thinking here, sorry.

But good luck with it whatever you, your god, his/her god, or fate lets you have.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby my_wan » May 14, 2011 5:41 am

Onyx8 wrote:How can you change your religion for someone else? Isn't it that you believe in the religion you follow and the others are just silly, or can you alter your beliefs at will?

This reminds me of of what a friend said when she found out I was an atheist. She knew my mother and her religious sensibilities, so the first thing out of her was: "How could you disrespect your mother like that?" I laughed very loudly and said: "And what makes you think my mother would not feel very disrespected if I feigned a religious view for her sake?"

In fact my mother would have felt insulted and fully respected my position on the matter. Though the debates could be quiet intense and scary for some outsiders to witness, it was a lot of fun for us. We could even make some limited personal jabs at each other that would get you banned here, but was merely a great humorous relief from the intensity of the debate for us. The sensibilities as to what constituted an insult were very different from what most people perceive, and were far more contingent honesty than content.

So to this marriage issue, this would depend on how much you are expected to be disingenuous to yourself, and how much being honest would be respected by the partner. These things cannot be answered here. But find out before the any marriage and if it does not go so well do not blame the partner for what you already knew. Not blaming the partner does not mean you are guilty either, but do get it straight what choices and what degree of respect you are going to be able to get for your opinions.
my_wan

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » May 14, 2011 5:54 am

Here is your fate:

1) Make an unformed decision about which way to go with your life by worrying about what God has planned for you.

2) Simulate all the possibly situations from here, (ie: Stay, leave, convert, talk it over...) and decide which direction will work best for you and your life.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby fzit0 » May 14, 2011 6:00 am

If a woman doesn't accept you for who you are and wants you to change your religion, well. I don't think I have to say anything else...
fzit0

Name: Jose

Print view this post

#18  Postby z8000783 » May 14, 2011 8:02 am

Fallible wrote:
Solar wrote:Fallible: good point

If they mean Islam comes first in terms of importance, that may very well be the case for a lot of Muslims. I know that for many people of all faiths, their religion is the defining factor in their lives. I suppose that would then make it extremely difficult for someone to give up or change their religion for the love of someone of a different faith. Personally I can't get my head around being that wedded to something (pardon the pun).

No, it means you are born a Muslim which is why they call people who come to Islam later in life 'Reverts'.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » May 14, 2011 9:33 am

Well in that case it's bullshit.

John
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby z8000783 » May 14, 2011 9:36 am

:lol: