"A bloody business" 4 Corners

Halal torture of Australian cattle

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

"A bloody business" 4 Corners

#1  Postby dreamweaver » May 31, 2011 4:43 am

This shocking program aired on 4 Corners here yesterday. The appalling treatment of these animals is all apparently due to religious mandate. A pure illustration of the depths people will go to when they believe their own particular sky fairy decrees it.

The footage speaks for itself. I now feel nauseated and am trembling like these poor cattle. Ffs, what is wrong with humanity.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20110530/cattle/
Until creationists come up with theory which contains more substance than “my favourite magic man did it” they will continue to bleat their flaccid protests like an antelope with a lion attached to its throat.
dreamweaver

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: "A bloody business" 4 Corners

#2  Postby Gallstones » May 31, 2011 5:40 am

Humans are animals.
Ever see dogs bring down prey? They eat it to death.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#3  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » May 31, 2011 5:45 am

We could be working towards much more efficient and painless systematic slaughter if we are going to do it in the first place though.

It is probably inconsistent to support the meat industry and disprove of halal slaughter, but really, i think we should aim for higher standards and tell the indo's to at least use stun guns if they want to continue killing the cattle over there.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Tollens » May 31, 2011 6:06 am

read the transcript, but there's no way I can watch the video. I wish Halal could be outlawed.

On a bit of a tangent, thought it was interesting that Dr. Temple Grandin was interviewed. She teaches at my university.
I had to go to confession one time, because I skipped mass to get tacos and joked about Cheesus.
Tollens

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby dreamweaver » May 31, 2011 6:27 am

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:We could be working towards much more efficient and painless systematic slaughter if we are going to do it in the first place though.

It is probably inconsistent to support the meat industry and disprove of halal slaughter, but really, i think we should aim for higher standards and tell the indo's to at least use stun guns if they want to continue killing the cattle over there.

We will never be able to bring the standards up while cattle are being killed Halal, which won't allow stun guns. In some cases it is taking them up to 10 minutes to bleed to death, all the while struggling and bellowing.

I agree with Temple Grandin, if we need to eat cattle and we bring them into the world for that very purpose, then they deserve a life and a death with dignity. As she says, they deserve our respect. She has been working her whole life to develop facilities that provide a peaceful, dignified end. Her systems are used all over the world and her cattle die with no fear.They will never be adopted in Islamic countries.

I think Halal killing is simply justification to be able to swim in blood and inflict misery. It is barbaric and the united community should outlaw it.

And yes Tollens, having cattle of my own, it is gut wrenchingly difficult to watch.
Until creationists come up with theory which contains more substance than “my favourite magic man did it” they will continue to bleat their flaccid protests like an antelope with a lion attached to its throat.
dreamweaver

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Bolero » May 31, 2011 6:32 am

All the meat served at my work functions is halal, as we have many muslim students. I feel a strongly-worded letter to the university coming on....
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2011 6:36 am

dreamweaver wrote:We will never be able to bring the standards up while cattle are being killed Halal, which won't allow stun guns.

They already do in a lot of places.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby dreamweaver » May 31, 2011 6:55 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
dreamweaver wrote:We will never be able to bring the standards up while cattle are being killed Halal, which won't allow stun guns.

Yes, they mentioned three out of over a hundred abbatoirs and that the others were reluctant to adopt due to religious dogma. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the meat from stunned cattle didn't sell for as much, although that wasn't mentioned. Negotiations continue while in the meantime cattle continue to be tortured...
dreamweaver

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Lion IRC » May 31, 2011 7:07 am

dreamweaver wrote:This shocking program aired on 4 Corners here yesterday. The appalling treatment of these animals is all apparently due to religious mandate. A pure illustration of the depths people will go to when they believe their own particular sky fairy decrees it.

The footage speaks for itself. I now feel nauseated and am trembling like these poor cattle. Ffs, what is wrong with humanity.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20110530/cattle/

Thank you for putting this ABC Four Corners story up on the board.

Its an absolute disgrace.

perverted religion.

disgusting love of money.

filthy politics.

psychopathic, intentional, gratuitous cruelty to animals by people who clearly love their job.

Woe to you Asia.
Last edited by Lion IRC on May 31, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#10  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2011 7:11 am

dreamweaver wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

Yes, they mentioned three out of over a hundred abbatoirs and that the others were reluctant to adopt due to religious dogma. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the meat from stunned cattle didn't sell for as much, although that wasn't mentioned. Negotiations continue while in the meantime cattle continue to be tortured...

In other countries, I mean.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby z8000783 » May 31, 2011 7:48 am

They are working towards stunning? Under Islam? Naive or what.

The Jews have been doing this for nearly 3000 years and have no intention of stopping. I can't see the religion of peace doing any better.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby chairman bill » May 31, 2011 8:34 am

Meat should be produced to the highest humane standards conducive to still producing the stuff. If that offends your religious sensibilities, eat a fucking vege-burger instead!
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby talkietoaster » May 31, 2011 9:48 am

I saw a sacrifice on my muslim friends video camera like it was a family BBQ. It was a terrible experience, seeing a cow moan, piss itself from fear as the sharp blade slit its throat and was left to bleed to death as it was twitching and convulsing in pain. People chatting and laughing like it was a lovely social gathering.

My first question was '' So you don't try to reduce the pain of the animal at all?''
''Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.'' - Smart Person at some time.
talkietoaster

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Oeditor » May 31, 2011 10:24 am

Tollens wrote:I wish Halal could be outlawed.
Well, killing without stunning is illegal in the UK. Since an exception is made for use as food by Muslims, suddenly we have supermarkets and caterers selling nothing but halal meat. It must be illegal but nobody will do anything about it. Hell, the government even refuses to make them label it when it's unstunned. The EU parliament voted to have it labelled but the bureaucrats running the EU refused as well. The parliament is having another go - please contact your MEP, any European citizens out there.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby z8000783 » May 31, 2011 10:41 am

talkietoaster wrote:I saw a sacrifice on my muslim friends video camera like it was a family BBQ. It was a terrible experience, seeing a cow moan, piss itself from fear as the sharp blade slit its throat and was left to bleed to death as it was twitching and convulsing in pain. People chatting and laughing like it was a lovely social gathering.

A bit like bullfighting in Spain by the sound of it. A nice family day out.

Oeditor wrote:
Tollens wrote:I wish Halal could be outlawed.
Well, killing without stunning is illegal in the UK. Since an exception is made for use as food by Muslims, suddenly we have supermarkets and caterers selling nothing but halal meat. It must be illegal but nobody will do anything about it. Hell, the government even refuses to make them label it when it's unstunned. The EU parliament voted to have it labelled but the bureaucrats running the EU refused as well. The parliament is having another go - please contact your MEP, any European citizens out there.

What about Kosher meat?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Oeditor » May 31, 2011 11:14 am

z8000783 wrote:What about Kosher meat?
John
Same applies, but it's numerically insignificant in the UK. It seems that people have been eating kosher meat for ages though, because the rear 60% of the animal is sold onto the Gentile market. Which is why it seems to have been Jewish pressure on the government which has stopped halal labelling. Unholy alliance, eh?
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby dreamweaver » May 31, 2011 12:12 pm

talkietoaster wrote:I saw a sacrifice on my muslim friends video camera like it was a family BBQ. It was a terrible experience, seeing a cow moan, piss itself from fear as the sharp blade slit its throat and was left to bleed to death as it was twitching and convulsing in pain. People chatting and laughing like it was a lovely social gathering.

My first question was '' So you don't try to reduce the pain of the animal at all?''

It doesn't seem like it occurs to them the animal could be in any distress whatsoever, let alone feel pain. It defys credulity.

How does one just commit these acts and not feel one iota of sympathy for the animal? Why do they think the animal is struggling to escape, rolling it's eyes, panting and screaming? It is the same thing any living creature would do when in terrible fear and agony, us included. The workers themselves included. Your Muslim friends included.

Religion lifts mankind above the beasts of the earth. What an ironic joke.

On a brighter note, news today that the Aust. govt. has put an immediate hold on cattle to the questionable abbatoirs (or so they say...).
dreamweaver

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » May 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Is anyone else creeped out about how all of the stories are constantly referring to "Australian cattle"? Who the fuck cares where the cattle came from? It's not like you knew them or anything. The origin of the cows are hardly the main issue at hand.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby z8000783 » May 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Yes, but I think the programme wanted to hit home to the people who are responsible for selling them rather than dilute the message.

Notice also that Islam was hardly mentioned. If you missed the references you might end up thinking this was just a lack of awareness rather than a deliberate act.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Lion IRC » Jun 01, 2011 3:41 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Is anyone else creeped out about how all of the stories are constantly referring to "Australian cattle"? Who the fuck cares where the cattle came from? It's not like you knew them or anything. The origin of the cows are hardly the main issue at hand.

The people who supplied the cattle are partly responsible and to the extent they know what is happening, they are moral agents themselves. There may have been animal welfare standards included in sale contracts up to this point but there is no excuse now for any country to be an accomplice in this practice.

In Australian meatworks under Australian standards, Halal and Kosher slaughter methods render the animal unconscious by stunning prior to slaughter. I have seen this practice first hand and meat products from these huge abattoirs are distributed to Halal-specific clients throughout the world.

"THE brutal methods used at 11 Indonesian abattoirs now banned from importing live cattle from Australia are wrong according to Islamic law, a senior Indonesian cleric declared yesterday.

Sholahudin al-Ayubi, secretary of the Indonesian Ulema Council, the national clerical organisation, said the practices that had been exposed - the gouging of cattle's eyes, slashing with blunt knives and the breaking of limbs - were unacceptable under sharia."

From The Australian Newspaper online
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

Next

Return to Islam