Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#1  Postby zaybu » Jun 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Verlinde was awarded the prestigious Spinoza Prize with Є2.5 millions so he can spend his time researching his pet theory -- that gravity is not a fundamental force, but one that arises as an emergent force, like pressure or friction. Take that, String theorists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Verlinde
User avatar
zaybu
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 391
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#2  Postby Jakov » Jun 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Correct me if I'm incorrect but I thought this is how general relativity worked anyway?
Matter tells spacetime how to bend, spacetime tells matter how to move. What we feel as the force of gravity is just an emergent property from bodies moving in a straight line through curved spacetime.
User avatar
Jakov
 
Posts: 1949
Age: 28

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#3  Postby zaybu » Jun 14, 2011 1:46 am

Hmm, I believe Verlinde has a different idea about it. He believes that you just need energy, entropy, temperature, and oh yes, information, and out of that, you get gravity.

See his monumental paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785
User avatar
zaybu
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 391
Male

Print view this post

Re: Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#4  Postby palindnilap » Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am

zaybu wrote:Hmm, I believe Verlinde has a different idea about it. He believes that you just need energy, entropy, temperature, and oh yes, information, and out of that, you get gravity.

See his monumental paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785


That looks pretty cool and I'll add that a free version of the article can be found by querying "On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton" in Google Scholar. Thanks for the pointer ! I'll read it and try to post again if I manage to understand anything to it. :dopey:
palindnilap
RS Donator
 
Posts: 509
Age: 49
Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Re: Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#5  Postby twistor59 » Jun 23, 2011 11:50 am

palindnilap wrote:
zaybu wrote:Hmm, I believe Verlinde has a different idea about it. He believes that you just need energy, entropy, temperature, and oh yes, information, and out of that, you get gravity.

See his monumental paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785


That looks pretty cool and I'll add that a free version of the article can be found by querying "On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton" in Google Scholar. Thanks for the pointer ! I'll read it and try to post again if I manage to understand anything to it. :dopey:



Some interesting discussion of the original paper here and here.

In fact we even had some discussions here on ratskep a while ago:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post33196.html?hilit=verlinde#p33196 and
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post340608.html?hilit=verlinde#p340608
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
User avatar
twistor59
RS Donator
 
Posts: 4966
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#6  Postby palindnilap » Jun 23, 2011 2:15 pm

twistor59 wrote:
palindnilap wrote:
zaybu wrote:Hmm, I believe Verlinde has a different idea about it. He believes that you just need energy, entropy, temperature, and oh yes, information, and out of that, you get gravity.

See his monumental paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785


That looks pretty cool and I'll add that a free version of the article can be found by querying "On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton" in Google Scholar. Thanks for the pointer ! I'll read it and try to post again if I manage to understand anything to it. :dopey:



Some interesting discussion of the original paper here and here.

In fact we even had some discussions here on ratskep a while ago:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post33196.html?hilit=verlinde#p33196 and
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post340608.html?hilit=verlinde#p340608


Lol, looks like my memory for such things doesn't span over a whole year ! Let's give it a second read and see whether I am now a bit more familiar with theoretical physics. :grin:
palindnilap
RS Donator
 
Posts: 509
Age: 49
Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Re: Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#7  Postby twistor59 » Aug 24, 2011 3:16 pm

And in the bluuuuuuuue corner, arguing that gravity is not emergent:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.4161

Ahhh, bask in the glory of the scientific method and watch the competing viewpoints duke it out.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
User avatar
twistor59
RS Donator
 
Posts: 4966
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Gravity: an emergent property of spacetime

#8  Postby cavarka9 » Aug 24, 2011 3:39 pm

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/46848

Information paradox simplified, hints to gravity being emergent phenomenon
http://arxiv.org/find/all/1/all:+AND+Br ... /0/all/0/1
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
User avatar
cavarka9
 
Name: prajna
Posts: 3256

Country: 21.0000° N, 78.0000° E
India (in)
Print view this post


Return to Physics

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest