Brian Cox's new book

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Brian Cox's new book

#21  Postby klazmon » Jan 03, 2012 1:48 am

The Plc wrote:Brian Cox is a physicist?

Professor at University of Manchester. School of Physics & Astronomy PPARC Advanced Fellow.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby THWOTH » Jan 03, 2012 2:03 am

Animavore wrote:

Yeah. He just does movies on the side. That's why you don't see him in many.
I preferred his more subtle Hannbal Lector, too.

He was great in the X-men too.

The other one, the ex-pop star, has just had a series on the BBC about how wonderful and marvellous the universe it. Some say he is the Carl Sagan of the present age. No they do, really.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby hackenslash » Jan 03, 2012 5:46 am

Just finished it. All in all, pretty good, and I picked up a few things I didn't know. It was a little boggy in places, but nothing I couldn't wade through, even the sections in which the equations were coming pretty thick.

I would say it's aimed at a higher lever than Why Does E=mc2, but not a great deal higher.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 03, 2012 6:43 am

I find it easier to reference by breaking complex layers of information
down to their simplest components : so for example one can understand
the concept of spacetime by the mass of a planet distorting gravity like a
metal ball on a sheet that is stretched where it will naturally gravitate to the
middle, where the greater the mass, the greater the force exerted will also be

But when he gave the Royal Christmas Lecture I had difficulty in understanding how
no two electrons in the entire Universe can be in an identical state at the same time
I know it is true but I cannot understand it or at least not yet anyway. Maybe eventually

Cox is a great ambassador for Science. He is young and telegenic and easygoing and unlike
Dawkins does not really rail against religion - he does have an occasional swipe at astrologers
and new agers but only in passing. Has a dry sense of humour, which helps and looks too young
way too young to be a Professor of Physics but that is fine. We neeed more who can take Science
to the masses. There are some excellent presenters usually to be found on BBC 4 at various times :
Jim Al Khalili, Marcus Du Sautoy and Alice Roberts to name but three. We need these people because
we are probably not that scientifically educated as a nation. In 2009, on the one hundredth and fiftieth
anniversary of the publication of The Origin Of Species poll commissioned referenced only half the nation
accepting Evolution as scientific fact and that is no laughing matter. Once got 14 per cent in a Physics exam
so if I can have a passion for things scientific then so can anyone else. Ignorance not something to be proud of
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#25  Postby hackenslash » Jan 03, 2012 7:02 am

The only real criticism I have of the book is the sheer number of topics that were touched upon but then deemed beyond the scope of the book, some of which were quite disappointing, especially as many of them were being used as exemplary.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 03, 2012 8:06 am

hackenslash wrote:
The only real criticism I have of the book is the sheer number of topics that were touched upon but then deemed beyond the scope of the book some of which were quite disappointing especially as many of them were being used as exemplary

Wonder if commercial factors influenced this. Because at the end
of the day, companies want to make a profit on their investment and
quantum mechanics does not sell all that well to the masses. So there may
have been some attempt at moderation here. Now I may be completely wrong
on this but I doubt if Brian Cox had complete editorial control over content since a
decision like that would have some influence from the publishers. Stephen Hawking was
told when he was writing A Brief History Of Space And Time that every equation put in would
half the readership. He therefore ended up writing the book that he had to rather than wanted to
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#27  Postby Animavore » Jan 03, 2012 11:46 am

THWOTH wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Yeah. He just does movies on the side. That's why you don't see him in many.
I preferred his more subtle Hannbal Lector, too.

He was great in the X-men too.

The other one, the ex-pop star, has just had a series on the BBC about how wonderful and marvellous the universe it. Some say he is the Carl Sagan of the present age. No they do, really.

D:Ream are making a new album and yes, Cox is back on keyboards :dance:

:ask: Oh wait! D:Ream were shite.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby THWOTH » Jan 03, 2012 12:04 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
The only real criticism I have of the book is the sheer number of topics that were touched upon but then deemed beyond the scope of the book some of which were quite disappointing especially as many of them were being used as exemplary

on this but I doubt if Brian Cox had complete editorial control over content since a
decision like that would have some influence from the publishers. Stephen Hawking was
told when he was writing A Brief History Of Space And Time that every equation put in would
half the readership. He therefore ended up writing the book that he had to rather than wanted to

You know surreptitious57, every time you make a line break my screen reader says "line break." It's fucking annoying. Read your text out loud and say "line break" at every line-break to see how fucking annoying this is, and also how it renders much of what you say gibberish - which is neither fair to you nor to me.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Came across this video of an interview with Brian Cox with Jonathan Ross. It is very interesting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T649N87zhUk[/youtube]
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby hackenslash » Jan 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Ah, the buttplug interview. :lol:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby trubble76 » Jan 03, 2012 4:19 pm

THWOTH wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

You know surreptitious57, every time you make a line break my screen reader says "line break." It's fucking annoying. Read your text out loud and say "line break" at every line-break to see how fucking annoying this is, and also how it renders much of what you say gibberish - which is neither fair to you nor to me.

I do not enjoy reading text arranged like that, so I don't.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby mraltair » Jan 03, 2012 7:33 pm

:this:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Animavore » Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Don't read it then. That's what I do. Just scroll past :dunno:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#34  Postby mraltair » Jan 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Sticking to struggling to read...I have to admit Cox's book is giving me a hard time, I've slowed down to a 'page a day' pace. I also find I'm just reading rather than understanding it. It's just all those clocks spreading out and turning, I've only had this problem at the end of Feynman's QED (which I couldn't finish). I'm going to have to give them both a second read I think. I loved E=MC2, relativity is more my cup of tea.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby twistor59 » Jan 03, 2012 8:23 pm

mraltair wrote:Sticking to struggling to read...I have to admit Cox's book is giving me a hard time, I've slowed down to a 'page a day' pace. I also find I'm just reading rather than understanding it. It's just all those clocks spreading out and turning, I've only had this problem at the end of Feynman's QED (which I couldn't finish). I'm going to have to give them both a second read I think. I loved E=MC2, relativity is more my cup of tea.

Wasn't over keen on the clocks myself. My youngest lad requested and got a traditional alarm clock (oops nearly wrote "cock") for christmas one year - it's clockwork and got a fucking great bell on top. This just kept popping into my mind when they were on about clocks all over the place.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby THWOTH » Jan 04, 2012 4:32 am

THWOTH wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

surreptitious57

I'm very sorry I let my frustration bubble over onto the public forum like this. Please disregard the previous post, I shall do my uppermost to chill out about this from now on.

;)
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 04, 2012 4:51 am

THWOTH wrote:
THWOTH wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:

You know surreptitious57, every time you make a line break my screen reader says line break. Its fucking annoying. Read your text out loud and say line break at every line-break to see how fucking annoying this is, and also how it renders much of what you say gibberish - which is neither fair to you nor to me

surreptitious57

Im very sorry I let my frustration bubble over onto the public forum like this. Please disregard the previous post I shall do my uppermost to chill out about this from now on

No need to apologise THWOTH as your
frustration was perfectly legitimate in the
circumstances. Any time you feel like letting rip
do so. I will not hold it against you. But thanks anyway
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#38  Postby Animavore » Jan 05, 2012 6:18 pm

The library just text me to say this book is in for me :yay:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Animavore » Jan 07, 2012 11:49 am

Just collected the book but my library borrower's info says I cant renew my loan in three weeks as it's reserved for another member. Looks like I'm going to have to read a book under duress for once instead of procrastinating and renewing my loan up to three times 'til I finally get around to reading it.

I also picked up this book while I was here.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#40  Postby twistor59 » Jan 07, 2012 1:26 pm

AniBook.gif
AniBook.gif (68.57 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
Corrected a small error
A soul in tension that's learning to fly