Ancient Hebrew Lexicon

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Ancient Hebrew Lexicon

#1  Postby Sovereign » Aug 05, 2011 2:08 pm

I was watching an interview with Joe Rogan and he mentioned that the ancient Hebrew lexicon hadn't been translated. I knew this was true up until they discovered the Ugaritic texts then they used some of those texts to translate the Hebrew but how much has been translated?
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ancient Hebrew Lexicon

#2  Postby Fortigurn » Aug 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Sovereign wrote:I was watching an interview with Joe Rogan and he mentioned that the ancient Hebrew lexicon hadn't been translated. I knew this was true up until they discovered the Ugaritic texts then they used some of those texts to translate the Hebrew but how much has been translated?

When you say 'the ancient Hebrew lexicon', what do you mean? I'm guessing you don't really mean 'ancient Hebrew lexicon', because there was never any such thing as an 'ancient Hebrew lexicon'. Do you mean 'ancient Hebrew lexical corpus'? That seems to be your meaning. If so, what do you mean by 'ancient Hebrew'? Do you mean proto-Hebrew, palaeo-Hebrew, archaic Hebrew, or Aramaic?
Fortigurn

Taiwan (tw)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sovereign » Aug 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Fortigurn wrote:
Sovereign wrote:I was watching an interview with Joe Rogan and he mentioned that the ancient Hebrew lexicon hadn't been translated. I knew this was true up until they discovered the Ugaritic texts then they used some of those texts to translate the Hebrew but how much has been translated?

When you say 'the ancient Hebrew lexicon', what do you mean? I'm guessing you don't really mean 'ancient Hebrew lexicon', because there was never any such thing as an 'ancient Hebrew lexicon'. Do you mean 'ancient Hebrew lexical corpus'? That seems to be your meaning. If so, what do you mean by 'ancient Hebrew'? Do you mean proto-Hebrew, palaeo-Hebrew, archaic Hebrew, or Aramaic?

Now you see how lacking my knowledge is on the subject. The Hebrew of the Pentateuch. I'm assuming there are several forms.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Fortigurn » Aug 06, 2011 12:27 am

Sovereign wrote:Now you see how lacking my knowledge is on the subject. The Hebrew of the Pentateuch. I'm assuming there are several forms.

It's a complex issue indeed, since the Pentateuch is a compilation of sources written at different times. The earliest form of writing used by the Hebrews (typically referred to as 'proto-Hebrew'), was in a Canaanite script; the oldest known example is the 12th century BCE ‘Izbet Sartah ostracon, which contains an abecedary (an inscription containing an alphabet, typically used as a student's practice text).

This was a brief transitional linguistic phase which resulted in palaeo-Hebrew in the 10th century, the earliest form of Hebrew as a distinctive dialect; the oldest known examples are the 10th century Zayit Stone (bearing an abecedary), and Gezer Calendar (an agricultural calendar). Palaeo-Hebrew was used up to the 5th century BCE, when Aramaic began to replace it.

During the 10th to the 6th century, the script used for Hebrew remained the same, though the language itself developed lexically, and is categorized into different eras (such as archaic Hebrew, standard Hebrew, and late Israelite Hebrew). Ugarit has (limited), relevance and usefulness to understanding palaeo-Hebrew and archaic Hebrew lexical roots, since it is a Semitic language predating palaeo-Hebrew but philologically related to it.
Fortigurn

Taiwan (tw)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sovereign » Aug 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Ok, so I see. Thanks.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Fortigurn » Aug 07, 2011 6:37 am

You're welcome. Feel free to ask anything else on the subject.
Fortigurn

Taiwan (tw)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan B » Aug 11, 2011 7:52 pm

If I may take you up on that offer?
In the Aramaic of Jesus' time are there different words for 'pray' and 'meditate'?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby magikrooster » Aug 12, 2011 6:44 am

Alan B wrote:If I may take you up on that offer?
In the Aramaic of Jesus' time are there different words for 'pray' and 'meditate'?

This might be a place to start, though it is debated as to just when the peshitta dates from and whether it is earl;y anough for your enquiry

http://www.atour.com/cgi-bin/dictionary ... TI-GROUP=0

magikrooster

Name: m
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Alan B » Aug 12, 2011 11:17 am

magikrooster wrote:
Alan B wrote:If I may take you up on that offer?

This might be a place to start, though it is debated as to just when the peshitta dates from and whether it is earl;y anough for your enquiry

Thanks. :cheers:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems