Did Einstein discover E = mc2?

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Did Einstein discover E = mc2?

#1  Postby zaybu » Aug 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Until this article, I had no idea of the controversy.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/46941
zaybu

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Did Einstein discover E = mc2?

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 24, 2011 1:31 pm

If you can find a theory without any precedent, or prior inkling, I'd be very surprised. Effectively, Einstein was answering a question that was being asked for a good century and a half prior to his response.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Grace » Aug 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Nice response Spearthrower.

What would be the purpose of coming forward with new 'evidence' ? Is someone attempting to re-write history, or is someone trying to get a book published?
Grace

Print view this post

#4  Postby cavarka9 » Aug 24, 2011 3:37 pm

I dont think that an absolutely original idea could ever exist in science or maths, even if it did, it wont be for long before someone else stumbles onto it.
The real problem is with media which has got space only for one.In any case, that guy got it to be (3/4)mc^2. So not entirely right.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HughMcB » Aug 24, 2011 3:46 pm

cavarka9 wrote:I dont think that an absolutely original idea could ever exist in science or maths, even if it did, it wont be for long before someone else stumbles onto it.

Quantum Mechanics?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby cavarka9 » Aug 24, 2011 3:56 pm

HughMcB wrote:
cavarka9 wrote:I dont think that an absolutely original idea could ever exist in science or maths, even if it did, it wont be for long before someone else stumbles onto it.

Quantum Mechanics?

boltzmann brought the atom, max planck brought the quantum idea, then came einstein, bohr, max born, heisenberg,schroedinger,de broglie. With or without max planck, people would have discovered it. They knew what the graph had to look like from experimental data, weins law and rayleigh-jeans law were approximations. Max planck worked it out by modifying weins law.

Calculating the blackbody curve was a major challenge in theoretical physics during the late nineteenth century. The problem was solved in 1901 by Max Planck in the formalism now known as Planck's law of blackbody radiation.[6] By making changes to Wien's radiation law (not to be confused with Wien's displacement law) consistent with thermodynamics and electromagnetism, he found a mathematical expression fitting the experimental data satisfactorily. Planck had to assume that the energy of the oscillators in the cavity was quantized, i.e., it existed in integer multiples of some quantity. Einstein built on this idea and proposed the quantization of electromagnetic radiation itself in 1905 to explain the photoelectric effect. These theoretical advances eventually resulted in the superseding of classical electromagnetism by quantum electrodynamics. These quanta were called photons and the blackbody cavity was thought of as containing a gas of photons. In addition, it led to the development of quantum probability distributions, called Fermi–Dirac statistics and Bose–Einstein statistics, each applicable to a different class of particles, fermions and bosons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Berthold » Aug 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Nitpick: Wien's law

Just be careful when you write schiessen. :mrgreen:
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby HughMcB » Aug 24, 2011 5:16 pm

cavarka9 wrote:....

Ya I'm not explaining myself very well, but isn't there a certain part of it (a formula) that was discovered quite accidentally and had huge implications? My brains not working well right now. :scratch:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby cavarka9 » Aug 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Berthold wrote:Nitpick: Wien's law

Just be careful when you write schiessen. :mrgreen:

no, that is displacement law, it is distribution law which is where quantum mechanics starts.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#10  Postby cavarka9 » Aug 24, 2011 5:54 pm

HughMcB wrote:
cavarka9 wrote:....

Ya I'm not explaining myself very well, but isn't there a certain part of it (a formula) that was discovered quite accidentally and had huge implications? My brains not working well right now. :scratch:

planck modifying weins law and trying to find the interpretation of it.?
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Berthold » Aug 25, 2011 11:46 am

cavarka9 wrote:no, that is displacement law, it is distribution law which is where quantum mechanics starts.

Doesn't change the fact that Wein's law is a typo. ;)
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Return to Physics