muon neutrinos travel faster than c?

CERN to Gran Sasso, neutrino speed greater than lightspeed. wow!

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: muon neutrinos travel faster than c?

#241  Postby zaybu » Nov 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Pulsar wrote:

zaybu wrote:It would seem that this issue has been resolved.

No, it's just another proposal, among the countless others. It remains to be seen whether this holds any water.

But now you have two papers, the one by van Elburg, and this one by Satish Ramakrishna, that give the same explanation as to the causes of the "60ns" anomaly. It's true that the Opera team hasn't comment on them, but nevertheles, it would be hard to believe that these two different papers would be wrong.

EDIT: the Ramakrishna's paper gives a better account.
zaybu

Male

Print view this post

#242  Postby twistor59 » Feb 22, 2012 7:58 pm

This would be hilarious if true:

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012/02/faster-than-light-neutrino-result-apparently-a-mistake-due-to-loose-cable.ars

But now, ScienceInsider is reporting that there was a good reason the measurements and reality weren't lining up: a loose cable was causing one of the atomic clocks used to time the neutrinos' flight to produce spurious results. If the report is confirmed, then it provides a simple explanation for the fascinating-yet-difficult-to-accept results.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Pulsar » Feb 22, 2012 8:10 pm

You've got to be fucking kidding me. A loose cable? :lol:
If this gets confirmed, I can't wait to see the press conference. This is going to be awkward :whistle:
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#244  Postby THWOTH » Feb 22, 2012 8:18 pm

I bet they didn't even turn if off and turn it on again. :doh:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#246  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, we'll you're now reading from the guy who plugged an Austron crystal clock into the atomic clocks at radio station WWV in Fort Collins, Colorado, into a jack that was clearly labelled "one PPM", and zeroed all three atomic clocks, resulting in WWV transmitting dead carrier for about ten minutes.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#247  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Pulsar wrote:You've got to be fucking kidding me. A loose cable? :lol:
If this gets confirmed, I can't wait to see the press conference. This is going to be awkward :whistle:

I don't think it needs to be awkward. They have always said that there could be a systemic problem with their experiment. Science is a process.

Just like the early trajectory calculations of the asteroid a few years back that gave a high probability for an Earth impact, then someone found photographic records of the object from several months previous. They ran the calculations with the newly found data and came up with virtually 0% chance of impact. The headlines were "Astronomers goof" and "Scientists flunk at math" or some such bullshit.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#248  Postby twistor59 » Feb 22, 2012 8:37 pm

The physics geek in me wants this explanation to be wrong because SOL variation would stir up physics no end. But the comedian in me wants it to be true.... :lol:
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#249  Postby campermon » Feb 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Lots of Lols!!!

A loose cable eh? and there's me, a lowly physics teacher, berating kids for not checking their cable connections when their circuits won't work!

:cofee:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#250  Postby Pulsar » Feb 22, 2012 8:47 pm

twistor59 wrote:The physics geek in me wants this explanation to be wrong because SOL variation would stir up physics no end. But the comedian in me wants it to be true.... :lol:

Same here :grin:

CdesignProponentsist wrote:I don't think it needs to be awkward. They have always said that there could be a systemic problem with their experiment. Science is a process.

An instrumentation problem was always the most likely culprit, but I did expect a more sophisticated glitch ;)
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#251  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Pulsar wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:I don't think it needs to be awkward. They have always said that there could be a systemic problem with their experiment. Science is a process.

An instrumentation problem was always the most likely culprit, but I did expect a more sophisticated glitch ;)

Well, I'm sure it is probably more sophisticated than it sounds.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#252  Postby twistor59 » Feb 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Sean Carroll is urging caution (quite rightly):

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2012/02/22/neutrinos-and-cables/

I suppose it’s possible. But man, that would make the experimenters look really bad. And the sourcing in the article is just about as weak as it could be: “according to sources familiar with the experiment” is as far as it goes. (What is this, politics?)

So it’s my duty to pass it along, but I would tend to reserve judgment until a better-sourced account comes along. Not that there’s much chance that neutrinos are actually moving faster than light; that was always one of the less-likely explanations for the result. But this isn’t how we usually learn about experimental goofs.
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Pulsar » Feb 23, 2012 1:38 am

A more detailed update (it seems they've identified two possible problems):

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/02/faster-than-light-neutrino-measurement-has-two-possible-errors.html

But according to a statement OPERA began circulating today, two possible problems have now been found with its set-up. As many physicists had speculated might be the case, both are related to the experiment’s pioneering use of Global Positioning System (GPS) signals to synchronize atomic clocks at each end of its neutrino beam. First, the passage of time on the clocks between the arrival of the synchronizing signal has to be interpolated and OPERA now says this may not have been done correctly. Second, there was a possible faulty connection between the GPS signal and the OPERA master clock.

[...]

“The OPERA Collaboration, by continuing its campaign of verifications on the neutrino velocity measurement, has identified two issues that could significantly affect the reported result. The first one is linked to the oscillator used to produce the events time-stamps in between the GPS synchronizations. The second point is related to the connection of the optical fiber bringing the external GPS signal to the OPERA master clock.

These two issues can modify the neutrino time of flight in opposite directions. While continuing our investigations, in order to unambiguously quantify the effect on the observed result, the Collaboration is looking forward to performing a new measurement of the neutrino velocity as soon as a new bunched beam will be available in 2012. An extensive report on the above mentioned verifications and results will be shortly made available to the scientific committees and agencies.”
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#254  Postby iamthereforeithink » Feb 23, 2012 3:11 am

Gaaa...aah :shock:

And we're trusting these nincompoops to come up with the next big breakthroughs in the field of physics? I'm going to sue these guys on two counts -

1. Monetary loss on account of many hours wasted in the cafeteria discussing possible theoretical explanations. Time which, if spent productively, might have earned me upwards of $100k
2. Defamation, on account of looking like an idiot when I go to the cafeteria tomorrow.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#255  Postby twistor59 » Feb 23, 2012 7:18 am

iamthereforeithink wrote:Gaaa...aah :shock:

And we're trusting these nincompoops to come up with the next big breakthroughs in the field of physics? I'm going to sue these guys on two counts -

1. Monetary loss on account of many hours wasted in the cafeteria discussing possible theoretical explanations. Time which, if spent productively, might have earned me upwards of $100k
2. Defamation, on account of looking like an idiot when I go to the cafeteria tomorrow.

Yo' iam - haven't seen you in a while :cheers:
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#257  Postby twistor59 » Feb 23, 2012 9:24 am

Darkchilde wrote:It's official, just got the CERN Press Release here: http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR19.11E.html

In the quote
The second concerns the optical fibre connector that brings the external GPS signal to the OPERA master clock, which may not have been functioning correctly when the measurements were taken.

does the bold part mean "not screwed in correctly" ?
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#258  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 23, 2012 9:41 am

twistor59 wrote:does the bold part mean "not screwed in correctly" ?

Something like that, I'm sure. Ever since this "supra-luminal" neutrino result was published, I've been waiting for the real reason for the result to be discovered, and this poor contact in the electronics looks to be a likely culprit.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#260  Postby THWOTH » Feb 23, 2012 11:43 am

Sean Carroll wrote:.... “according to sources familiar with the experiment” is as far as it goes. (What is this, politics?)

Well said. :coffee:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics