Why does E=mc^2? (The book by Brian Cox and co.)

Sorry Ani :P

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why does E=mc^2? (The book by Brian Cox and co.)

#1  Postby Joe09 » Sep 24, 2011 8:58 am

On reading the thread about Brian Cox, new book i saw that Ani was considered starting a thread on Brian's previous book so that he could ask questions.

Well it reminded me that I had a question so ive jumped the gun and started the thread myself, sorry Ani :lol:

Anyway, first question of the day is, where can i find the master equation? I clearly fail at internet searching because i cant find the master equation in a form as simplistic as the one stated in E=mc2.

Thankyou
Last edited by Joe09 on Sep 24, 2011 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why does E=mc^2?

#2  Postby Animavore » Sep 24, 2011 9:13 am

Sorry for not using a comma correctly knowing what a grammar Nazi I am? :nono:

(Sorry, Ani)
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby campermon » Sep 24, 2011 9:18 am

Joe09 wrote:On reading the thread about Brian Cox, new book i saw that Ani was considered starting a thread on Brian's previous book so that he could ask questions.

Well it reminded me taht I had a question so ive jumped the gun and started the thread myself, sorry Ani :lol:

Anyway, first question of the day is, where can i find the master equation? I clearly fail at internet searching because i cant find the master equation in a form as simplistic as the one stated in E=mc2

E=mc2 is the case where a particle has no momentum. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E2%80 ... D_mc.C2.B2
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Sep 24, 2011 9:18 am

Ek= 1/2 mv2 ?
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby Joe09 » Sep 24, 2011 9:22 am

Animavore wrote:Sorry for not using a comma correctly knowing what a grammar Nazi I am? :nono:

(Sorry, Ani)

English and grammer have never been something i cared about

Which is probably why the marks i lose in my 'research papers' are mostly grammatical and not due to factual or procedural error

:lol:
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Joe09 » Sep 24, 2011 9:25 am

campermon wrote:
Joe09 wrote:On reading the thread about Brian Cox, new book i saw that Ani was considered starting a thread on Brian's previous book so that he could ask questions.

Well it reminded me taht I had a question so ive jumped the gun and started the thread myself, sorry Ani :lol:

Anyway, first question of the day is, where can i find the master equation? I clearly fail at internet searching because i cant find the master equation in a form as simplistic as the one stated in E=mc2

E=mc2 is the case where a particle has no momentum. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass%E2%80 ... D_mc.C2.B2

Apologies, i should have been clearer. I am talking about the book not the question itself.
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Sep 24, 2011 9:51 am

tuco wrote:Ek= 1/2 mv2 ?

The classical KE drops out of the equations;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_en ... gid_bodies
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why does E=mc^2? (The book by Brian Cox and co.)

#8  Postby kennyc » Sep 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Looks fascinating as does his upcoming (follow-on) book:

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Universe- ... 396&sr=8-3

Link to the E=mc2 book on amazon for those interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-mc2-Shou ... 396&sr=8-4
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby hackenslash » Oct 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Well it reminded me that I had a question so ive jumped the gun and started the thread myself, sorry Ani :lol:

Anyway, first question of the day is, where can i find the master equation? I clearly fail at internet searching because i cant find the master equation in a form as simplistic as the one stated in E=mc2.

Thankyou

When Cox is talking about the master equation, he isn't talking about E=mc2, which is the simple form of the equation dealing with the relationship between energy and mass. He's talking about the master equation of the standard model.

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Sityl » Oct 02, 2011 5:01 pm

I loved that book! The explanation of spacetime, and momentum through spacetime, with the speed of light being 100% of momentum being directed into moving through space made a lot of sense.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Teuton » Oct 02, 2011 5:07 pm

THE EQUIVALENCE OF MASS AND ENERGY: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/equivME/
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Joe09 » Oct 04, 2011 12:57 pm

hackenslash wrote:

Thankyou

When Cox is talking about the master equation, he isn't talking about E=mc2, which is the simple form of the equation dealing with the relationship between energy and mass. He's talking about the master equation of the standard model.

Yes i know, i was asking someone to find the masterequation for me on the interwebs because i did a search and came up with squat.

I would liek to see what the terms expand into
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Physics