Did Jesus die for Klingons too?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Did Jesus die for Klingons too?

#1  Postby DoctorE » Oct 04, 2011 9:54 am

Finding aliens.. that would be nice, then maybe we can throw religion into the garbage dump of insane madness, where it belongs. :)

A Christian professor has told a U.S. Government-backed conference on space travel that the discovery of aliens would lead to significant problems for his own religion.
In a speech entitled 'Did Jesus die for Klingons too?', German academic Christian Weidemann outlined the possible ramifications that the ultimate space discovery would engender.
Speaking at the 100 Year Starship Symposium in Orlando Florida, Professor Weidemann also attempted to outline how the inevitable theological conflict might be resolved.

Weidemann, a professor at the Ruhr-University Bochum, said that the death of Christ, some 2,000 years ago, was designed to save all creation.
However, the whole of creation, as defined by scientists, includes 125billion galaxies with hundreds of billions of stars in each galaxy.
That means that if intelligent life exists on other planets, then Jesus or God would have to have visited them too, and sacrificed himself equally for Martian-kind as well as mankind.

Continues: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... l?ITO=1490

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Did Jesus die for Klingons too?

#2  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2011 9:56 am

Yes. I can see the problem :tehe:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby chairman bill » Oct 04, 2011 9:59 am

And if humankind was created in the image of God, does that mean aliens are too? Could it be that there are no tentacled aliens, no aliens with antennae or pointy ears, green skin & green blood? I think we should be told; Star Trek & Star Wars might need re-writes.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2011 10:08 am

This deserves a discussion of its own: would discovering aliens destroy religion?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby chairman bill » Oct 04, 2011 10:22 am

Or would religious aliens destroy us? "You infidel earthlings do not worship Zwerg, so must die!"

“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby trubble76 » Oct 04, 2011 10:26 am

Animavore wrote:This deserves a discussion of its own: would discovering aliens destroy religion?

Clearly it wouldn't. Religion is virtually immune to attacks by reality. Think of the sect (is it the 7th day adventists?) that still exist despite being born of failed predictions of the end of the world.
Given the choice between abandonning their religion or thinking up some way to crowbar in contradictory information, I suspect I know which route will be the most popular.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2011 10:30 am

trubble76 wrote:
Animavore wrote:This deserves a discussion of its own: would discovering aliens destroy religion?

Clearly it wouldn't. Religion is virtually immune to attacks by reality. Think of the sect (is it the 7th day adventists?) that still exist despite being born of failed predictions of the end of the world.
Given the choice between abandonning their religion or thinking up some way to crowbar in contradictory information, I suspect I know which route will be the most popular.

I don't agree. What if the aliens could rejuvenate us, eradicate disease and ailments, give us an indefinite and statically younger life and take us around the universe? Surely religion will start looking piss poor and petit?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chairman bill » Oct 04, 2011 10:32 am

Either way, I'm going to start worshipping Zwerg. Just in case. A galactic Pascal's Wager!
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Evolving » Oct 04, 2011 10:33 am

@ ani:

Science is already doing a fair bit of that.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#10  Postby rEvolutionist » Oct 04, 2011 10:33 am

Absolutely :this: . I don't see why it would pose any problem at all. Religious people already believe that God is omniscient and omnipotent, so why would it be any further stretch to believe that God created and then visited and then died for all beings in the universe? It's no more farcical that the belief in God in the first place.

edit: sorry, this was in reply to trubble76's last post.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby rEvolutionist » Oct 04, 2011 10:36 am

Animavore wrote:
trubble76 wrote:

I don't agree. What if the aliens could rejuvenate us, eradicate disease and ailments, give us an indefinite and statically younger life and take us around the universe? Surely religion will start looking piss poor and petit?

God gave them the power. They are his representatives in the universe.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby trubble76 » Oct 04, 2011 10:37 am

Animavore wrote:
trubble76 wrote:

Well, some would claim the aliens are angels or otherwise sent by god, some would argue that they were demons sent to tempt us, some would perhaps lose their faith, but I think the vast majority would slip deeper into their comfortable cognitive dissonance.
Remeber that religion is already ridiculous nonsense that most people in the world accept uncritically, I don't see anything that will chnage this.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2011 10:38 am

But if aliens took us around the universe things like Sunday would become meaningless, if they could give us indefinite lives death becomes meaningless, as too does suffering if they take away our ailments. Belief in God no longer makes sense. Nor does rapture or end times.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fenrir » Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am

It doesn't make sense now, yet here we are.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#15  Postby byofrcs » Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am

Catholicism - Vatican has already said Aliens are OK
Islam - Aliens won't be human so they are either edible or not according to whatever Fatwas are made up.
Anglicans - See Catholicism.
Protestants - We're OK and will make it up as we go along.
Scientology - Warned you so about Xenu.
Raelians - Told you So.
Jews - Jesus ?
Evangelicals - They have money ?
Baptists - The Reformed Baptist Church of the New Scripture of 2045 accepts them, the rest ignore them.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah but religious people aren't experiencing this. Experience has greater impact than reading about such stuff. I would imagine doors of opportunity opening and flooding us would destroy any perspectives we have on life.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby chairman bill » Oct 04, 2011 10:45 am

trubble76 wrote:... some would argue that they were demons ...

James Blish's book, A Case of Conscience - worth a read
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2011 10:49 am

Even if people are religious when they arrive what about when they live to be six-seven hundred years old (living in a world where that way of counting age is now meaningless)? When they've experienced so much, travelled half a galaxy? At some point religion has to become absurd.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby trubble76 » Oct 04, 2011 11:08 am

Animavore wrote:Even if people are religious when they arrive what about when they live to be six-seven hundred years old (living in a world where that way of counting age is now meaningless)? When they've experienced so much, travelled half a galaxy? At some point religion has to become absurd.

That point came and went a while ago if you ask me. :dunno:

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2011 11:12 am

trubble76 wrote:
Animavore wrote:Even if people are religious when they arrive what about when they live to be six-seven hundred years old (living in a world where that way of counting age is now meaningless)? When they've experienced so much, travelled half a galaxy? At some point religion has to become absurd.

That point came and went a while ago if you ask me. :dunno:

Well yes. It came with Darwin if you ask me. Despite the religious protestation that it's compatible. It's not. You're only fooling yourself.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity