Feathered Dinosaurs drive Creationists crazy.

A very good article.

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Feathered Dinosaurs drive Creationists crazy.

#1  Postby Darkchilde » Sep 19, 2012 11:40 am

This is a very interesting read:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/09/creationists_and_dinosaurs_answers_in_genesis_teams_with_dissident_scientists_to_deny_feathered_dino_fossil_record.html

The dinosaurs of our childhood aren’t around anymore. The sluggish, swamp-bound pea-brains that haunted museum halls and trundled through picture books have been eviscerated by agile, hot-blooded, and, often, feathery dinosaurs that more accurately reflect what Tyrannosaurus rex and kin were actually like. What’s more, thanks to a heap of lovely fossils, we now know that even the most fearsome of the tyrant dinosaurs were closely related to the avian dinosaurs—the birds—that flit around our backyards today.

Not everyone is pleased with the dramatic dinosaur makeover. In “How Science Ruined Everything,” io9’s Esther Inglis-Arkell said, “Dinosaurs used to be cool, feathers came in, and now it’s like, they’re going to ruffle their plumage when they come after me, and that is not scary.” It’s not surprising that the new imagery of enfluffed dinosaurs makes Velociraptor and company seem more like chickenosaurs than the monsters we grew up with. I used to hate fluffy dinosaurs, too. When feathery dinosaurs started to appear in museum shops and poorly-rendered fuzzballs strutted through basic-cable documentaries, I mourned the loss of the reptilian monsters I once knew. But when I dug into why dinosaur depictions have changed so radically, I came away with a new appreciation of dinosaur feathers.

Paleontologists have uncovered scores of fluffy, fuzzy, bristly, and otherwise spectacularly-adorned dinosaur species throughout the group’s family tree. Feathers weren’t meant for flight from the start; at first they were adaptations for insulation and display—for showing off. By comparing the microscopic features of dinosaur feathers with those of modern birds, paleontologists are answering one of the most perplexing dinosaur mysteries: What color were they? (Some were iridescent blue; some were black and white like a magpie; and some had rust-colored stripes along their tails.) We can finally start to explore the beauty of the dinosaur palette, something I was told as child would be totally impossible. I’ll trade evolutionary secrets for slightly silly dinosaurs any day.

Cont. : http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/09/creationists_and_dinosaurs_answers_in_genesis_teams_with_dissident_scientists_to_deny_feathered_dino_fossil_record.html
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Feathered Dinosaurs drive Creationists crazy.

#2  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am

Like Brian Switek. :)

Thanks for sharing.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 19, 2012 12:11 pm

What is the relationship between theropod size, climate and degree of featheriness? I only know of three functions for feathers on a dinosaur: thermo-regulation, camourflage and sexual attraction. The latter two functions can be performed by scales, so it is possible that some large dinosaurs would molt, except in a cold climate, perhaps because of the increased parasite load in a warm climate, although sexual attraction might also tend to suppress it, I suppose.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Paging @theropod...
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 20, 2012 12:51 pm

This book on the subject just out:

Feathers: The Evolution of a Natural Miracle by Thor Hanson

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/20/feathers-thor-hanson-review

Hanson's a conservation biologist, not a creationist, so it should be sensible.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod » Sep 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Sorry to be MIA, but my home based net service has died, terminally, and we are looking into a replacement. In the mean time one could search my posts for a thread specifically regarding this subject.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 21, 2012 11:05 pm

theropod wrote:Sorry to be MIA, but my home based net service has died, terminally, and we are looking into a replacement. In the mean time one could search my posts for a thread specifically regarding this subject.

RS

Physical line problem? If so, I know the feeling. :thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#8  Postby willhud9 » Sep 22, 2012 2:24 am

DavidMcC wrote:What is the relationship between theropod size, climate and degree of featheriness? I only know of three functions for feathers on a dinosaur: thermo-regulation, camourflage and sexual attraction. The latter two functions can be performed by scales, so it is possible that some large dinosaurs would molt, except in a cold climate, perhaps because of the increased parasite load in a warm climate, although sexual attraction might also tend to suppress it, I suppose.

Technically all a feather is is a modified scale. The evolution of the feather, would have been a benefit for the infant dinosaur as the feather would have increased insulation (much like how bird's newborns have a soft, thick feathery down) and as the dinosaur grew larger the feathers would have been molted. Some dinosaurs however would retain the feathers, for numerous of plausible reasons, including limited flight. But even T-Rex is now believed to have had proto-feathers instead of just scales.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Sep 22, 2012 2:54 am

God gave them feathers so Noah could keep all the other animals warm and cozy with raptor down comforters and pillows. Our God is a Loving God!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby willhud9 » Sep 22, 2012 3:11 am

:lol:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby theropod » Sep 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
theropod wrote:Sorry to be MIA, but my home based net service has died, terminally, and we are looking into a replacement. In the mean time one could search my posts for a thread specifically regarding this subject.

RS

Physical line problem? If so, I know the feeling. :thumbup:

No, our FORMER ISP was Wilblue/Excede satellite based system and apparently one part of the system has gone to the great electron dump. Repairing service isn't available as WB/Excede has moved on from our 5 year old system and no replacement parts are available. Of course NEW equipment with a NEW 2 year contract is and the cost has gone up. I'm not so sure the equipment isn't fine, and WB/Excede just shut us off to bait us into a new system and contract. That company, IMO, would not be above such underhanded shit as I've had issues with these bastards from day one.

ON TOPIC:

Feathers could also serve as abrasion protection for smaller dinosaurs scurrying through thick underbrush, as feathers form a slippery shield between thorns and skin.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism