"Cold Fusion"

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: "Cold Fusion"

#81  Postby Berthold » Jul 03, 2011 2:53 pm

You find it here.

I pass on the scolding that this guy gave to me. :mrgreen:
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby rainbow » Jul 04, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks, Bert.
:thumbup:
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Pyrion » Jul 20, 2011 8:43 am

I am following the Focardi/Rossi reactor quite a lot recently. My impression grew from mildly interested to almost excited over the last few months. October will show if they can deliver, everything else is just speculation.

I do have some answers to questions about the process, as far as it's available on the internet. About isotopes used: Rossi uses only Ni62 and Ni64, his Nickel is enriched for these two isotopes. He claims to produce Copper63 and Copper65.

Where are the gamma rays? The reactor has a lead shielding. The gamma rays are essential for the heat production. While absorbing the gamma rays, the lead gets heated providing a lot (if not all) of the reactor heat.

There is a secret catalyst that rossi uses, nobody (not even Focardi) knows what it is. This secret catalyst is supposed to be able to split hydrogen molecules down to atoms which are needed for the fusion to proceed.

My source for all that information is Rossi's own journal, where he answers comments by users frequently (every day). Recently (a few days ago) they claimed to have had talks with NASA officials, no details available though but it's known that NASA is doing its own cold fusion experiments and the NASA chief thinks that this could be a big thing http://pesn.com/2011/05/31/9501837_Cold-Fusion_Number-1_Claims_NASA_Chief/. If this is real, times will become very interesting.
Pyrion

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#84  Postby newolder » Jul 20, 2011 10:41 am

Pyrion wrote:I am following the Focardi/Rossi reactor quite a lot recently. My impression grew from mildly interested to almost excited over the last few months. October will show if they can deliver, everything else is just speculation.

I do have some answers to questions about the process, as far as it's available on the internet. About isotopes used: Rossi uses only Ni62 and Ni64, his Nickel is enriched for these two isotopes. He claims to produce Copper63 and Copper65.

Where are the gamma rays? The reactor has a lead shielding. The gamma rays are essential for the heat production. While absorbing the gamma rays, the lead gets heated providing a lot (if not all) of the reactor heat.

There is a secret catalyst that rossi uses, nobody (not even Focardi) knows what it is. This secret catalyst is supposed to be able to split hydrogen molecules down to atoms which are needed for the fusion to proceed. ...snip...

:confused: atoms don't fuse, protons and/or neutrons = atomic nuclei fuse in teh plasma states of elements. wiki is yer frend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#85  Postby Pyrion » Jul 20, 2011 12:29 pm

I didn't say they do. Just said that according to rossi the molecules need to be broken down to atoms in order for the fusion to proceed.

Plus: Cold fusion obviously does not take place in the plasma state (if it happens at all), so i don't really know where all the nitpicking comes from. :smoke:
Pyrion

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#86  Postby newolder » Jul 20, 2011 4:21 pm

hao else is fusion to proceed until teh electrons r moved out of teh way? :ask:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#87  Postby twistor59 » Jul 20, 2011 7:25 pm

newolder wrote:hao else is fusion to proceed until teh electrons r moved out of teh way? :ask:

He's got a secret catalyst which switches off yer Coulomb. Keep up newolder :roll:
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby tnjrp » Jul 21, 2011 5:42 am

Secret catalysts make my woo alert go off.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#89  Postby rainbow » Jul 21, 2011 9:52 am

newolder wrote:hao else is fusion to proceed until teh electrons r moved out of teh way? :ask:

What do the electrons have to do with it?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#90  Postby newolder » Jul 21, 2011 10:19 am

twistor59 wrote:

He's got a secret catalyst which switches off yer Coulomb. Keep up newolder :roll:

:doh: silly me! :lol:
Pyrion wrote:This secret catalyst is supposed to be able to split hydrogen molecules down to atoms

and atoms, here, means bare protons? :ask:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#91  Postby Pyrion » Jul 21, 2011 12:54 pm

I am not here to defend Rossi. I am sceptical myself. Just thought that you would like some information how it's supposed to work. So i don't know how the coulomb barrier is overcome (tunnelling maybe? I'm a layman). So, it may be hard to make fusion happen with atoms instead of bare protons, but i guess it's even harder with molecules. Cold fusion is not the same as hot fusion, that much is clear, so IF it is real (a big IF) some research will be needed to find out how it works. Rossi said that he will reveal his theory after the presentation of his generator in october.
Pyrion

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#92  Postby rainbow » Jul 21, 2011 2:45 pm

newolder wrote:
twistor59 wrote:

Pyrion wrote:This secret catalyst is supposed to be able to split hydrogen molecules down to atoms

Protons are ions not atoms. If he meant ions he should have said ions.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#93  Postby cavarka9 » Jul 21, 2011 3:08 pm

cold fusion is bullshit
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#94  Postby rainbow » Aug 05, 2011 6:26 am

Issue 37 of New Energy Times is available. It includes "Report #3: Scientific Analysis of Rossi, Focardi and Levi Claims."

This is the third in a series of reports about Andrea Rossi, creator of a device he calls the Energy Catalyzer, or E-Cat, Sergio Focardi, professor emeritus at the University of Bologna, and Giuseppe Levi, a professor in the university's Department of Physics and their claims of a low-energy nuclear reaction device that produces commercially useful levels of excess heat.

Does Rossi's device produce heat beyond that which is possible by chemistry? The device may produce some excess heat, but not nearly at the levels claimed by Rossi and his collaborators. In fact, the heat released from the experiment appears to be several orders of magnitude less than what they have claimed, at best.

Last year, Rossi and Focardi claimed an energy gain of 213 times. This year, Rossi downgraded that to six. Our analysis shows a possible energy gain of one to two times. In other words, Rossi's device probably produces Watts, not kilowatts, of power. It may, in fact, produce zero excess heat. We cannot know with confidence because of the poor data collection and reporting.

Report #3 reviews the scientific facts in detail.

http://www.zpenergy.com/modules.php?nam ... e&sid=3309
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#95  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am

rainbow wrote:
newolder wrote:
twistor59 wrote:

Protons are ions not atoms. If he meant ions he should have said ions.

No. Protons are protons. Ions are ions. Not the same.

I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby rainbow » Aug 05, 2011 6:56 am

The_Metatron wrote:No. Protons are protons. Ions are ions. Not the same.

Protons are ions.
They have a positive charge. All of them.
If a proton captures an electron, it becoms a hydrogen atom.

Clear?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Teague » Aug 05, 2011 11:13 am

This is getting me really excited but at the same time, increasingly skeptical. I can imagine the feeling I'd get if this is true, but also the massive let down if it isn't. People have been duped before. Do they have their patents? If so, why not let out their "secret"?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Teague » Aug 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Well I pretty much read all of this

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2011/ ... ort3.shtml

and the lack of proper testing and measuring is making this look highly suspect now. Also (lol)

Andrea Rossi's Reported Italian Criminal Activity

Appendix 36 to New Energy Times Report #3

by William Collis

[Ed: William Collis, the executive secretary of the International Society for Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, is a British citizen who lives in Italy and is fluent in Italian.

On July 15, 2011, Collis sent to the list a brief summary of what he found about Andrea Rossi's Italian criminal activity in Italian newspapers.

Collis was responding to an e-mail posted by physics Nobel laureate Brian Josephson in the Condensed Matter Nuclear Science e-mail list.

The archive search of La Corriere della Sera lists the articles Collis mentions as well as others about Rossi.]

Date:7/15/2011 7:59:28

To: cmns@googlegroups.com

Brian:

[Collis quotes Brian Josephson:] "My gloss on this, assuming it is not fraud (and as far as I am aware, Rossi has not been found guilty of this in the past), is that they were experimenting with different mechanisms of enhancement and found a combination that worked much better in terms of heat production."

I thought Rossi's past was common knowledge.

According to an article published by Italy's national newspaper, La Corriere della Sera, Page 37, April 12, 1992, Rossi was sentenced to four months in jail (suspended) and fined.

The same paper, Page 45, March 24, 1993, reports Rossi was sentenced to eight months confinement (conditionally suspended) and fined.

Again, Page 49, March 28, 1996, La Corriere della Sera, one-year sentence, later reduced to a fine.

Again, Page 51, May 23, 1997, La Corriere della Sera, sentence of two years eight months. The article specifically mentions tax fraud and quotes the public prosecutor as saying, "For all these operations, there is no trace of contracts or agreements." One of the transactions involved transfer of intangible assets (list of clients, and technology) to the value of 725 million lire.

These cases involve only his Petroldragon activities. But it doesn't stop there. See Page 11, March 29, 1995, and Page 49, April 6, 1995, La Corriere della Sera. He was also jailed as part of an "international conspiracy" in illegal gold trafficking.

I'm not an expert in Italian criminal legal terms or mafia slang, so if you want to check, I can supply fuller extracts (in Italian) if anyone is interested. There's quite a lot of gossipy innuendo to wade through, but the articles are not all written by one journalist who might have an axe to grind. La Corriere della Sera is a respected and serious newspaper and is considered reliable.

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2011/ ... ix36.shtml

I guess we'll have to see how the power plant is doing in October. If anyone is interested in buying the rights to be the sole manufacturer in their country, its only 44.4 million euro's!
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#99  Postby twistor59 » Aug 11, 2011 7:32 am

newolder wrote:
twistor59 wrote:

Actually, OK, I admit it, I was making it up, but then, this morning I discovered this. I used to think the expression "you couldn't make it up" was overused..... :lol:
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#100  Postby newolder » Aug 11, 2011 1:24 pm

feknora!
... When hydrogen atoms come in contact with the metal (Ni), they abandon their stationary state as they deposit their electrons in the conductivity band of the metal, and due to their greatly reduced volume, compared to that of their atom, the hydrogen nuclei (naked protons) readily diffuse into the defects of the nickel crystalline structure as well as in tetrahedral or octahedral void spaces of the crystal lattice. ...

Peer reviewed by at least 1 professor! (taht peer must've bin vry, vry drunk, i guess. :scratch:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Physics