Alt-History Virtual Tabletop RPG invitation

Have you known too many Spaniards?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Alt-History Virtual Tabletop RPG invitation

#1  Postby quixotecoyote » May 25, 2012 12:58 am

I've got the backstory written and most of the first couple sessions prepped for a low-fantasy alternate history rpg set in the 1500's during the Spanish conquest. PCs start as cruise ship passengers who get yoinked back in time (along with the ship), mysteriously gain powers and figure out what's going on in a slightly warped version of history.

I'm using the 3rd edition BESM system since it's pleasantly multi-genre enough to allow for tech/magic/etc. I've got character builder aids and all necessary information for people who want to join. Maptool is a great, stable, virtual tabletop with more features than I need, but simple to use. I'm going to try Mumble for voicechat since it's the best quality most stable free one I found, but if it doesn't fly, then Ventrilo.

I'd like to run this with 5 players, and right now I have 2 slots open. More may come available later.

Schedule is to be determined based on your availability.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Alt-History Virtual Tabletop RPG invitation

#2  Postby quixotecoyote » May 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Alright. I've got six players. If anyone who hasn't said yes still wants to play. PM or post here and I'll let you know if a spot opens up.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby jerome » May 25, 2012 9:37 pm

What an excellent idea! Not played BESM in years! Last time I did was a Cowboy Bebop (I think that is right) style game, maybe seven years ago. I actually started a thread on tabletop rpg, and I guess I could also run a game. :) WHat software you using, skype or something else?

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby quixotecoyote » May 25, 2012 10:05 pm

<glances at the OP>

Maptool for the tabletop and Mumble (or possibly ventrilo) for chat.

:)
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jerome » May 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Sorry I'm being a moron. It has been really hot all day and I managed to get made stupid by the heat :) I have never seen either before, I'll go check them out. And if you run a future game I'll definitely be interestedthat sounds like an awesome premise. Have a great game!

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby jerome » May 25, 2012 10:24 pm

How good is the typed chat in MapTool? I installed the program and it actually looks possible to play without voice chat? Actually I can see why you are using a voice chat, a hundred times better, but typing is a possibility. My only experience with this sort of thing was running Call of Cthulhu on a java chat room, and one attempt at Heroquest 2 using Skype, but with six players Skype kept falling over :(

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby quixotecoyote » May 25, 2012 10:43 pm

You *can* use Maptool without voicechat, and it works reasonably well. However, you can't GM without voicechat unless a whole lot of your notes and descriptions are already typed out and ready to copy/paste, or the downtime gets oppressive.

I've had players go without a mic for a session due to technical difficulties or not waking a sick person and it's been fine, but I wouldn't try to run a session without voice.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby quixotecoyote » Jun 10, 2012 2:13 am

I have a slot that's opened up, if anyone would like to join. We haven't started yet, but we've fixed the time from 3-6 pm CST mondays starting June 18.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games