Classic PC Games You Really Enjoyed

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Classic PC Games You Really Enjoyed

#61  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Jan 24, 2012 8:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I'm pleased as punch to be the first to mention Under A Killing Moon. I'm not sure if it's technically a good game, but it was freakin' hilarious.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_CuTlYd2ng[/youtube]
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Matt H » Jan 27, 2012 1:04 am

I guess classic means anything before 2000? There's been so many great games made since then which I can't fit in here, so I'll stick to stuff made in the last millenium.

TIE Fighter: Collector's CD

First and so far best game I've played where you are the bad guy. The definitive version is the one which keeps the DOS client and iMUSE soundtrack, and adds in all the expansion packs and ups the resolution of all the graphics. Also has some damn fine voice acting. The missions are amazing, they might start with run-of-the-mill stuff where you have to inspect freight traffic in a clunky old TIE Fighter, but objectives change quite dramatically as you go. The story has plenty of twists and turns.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Felt like a proper new addition to the Star Wars saga, FMV cutscenes and diverse environments, and lightsaber combat! One of the best FPS.

Planescape Torment

Combat is horrible, but everything else is brilliant. Probably the best writing I've seen in an RPG (thanks to maestro Chris Avellone), and you can choose what type of character you want to be - noble, asshole, whatever you want, you basically wake up as a living corpse and have to piece everything together as you go. You can buy it from GOG.com, and there's a mod guide which will help you set it up in spiffy high-resolution.

I'm a Tex Murphy fan too, UAKM was very good but The Pandora Directive was my favourite. You can get those games from GOG.com as well.
"The most remarkable people, to me, were those who apparently approved of everything I said but nonetheless wouldn't dream of voting for the Liberal Party. It reminded me of Somalia: they wouldn't vote outside their clan."

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Matt H

Male

Falkland Islands (fk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby quixotecoyote » Jan 27, 2012 1:43 am

Matt H wrote:4

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Felt like a proper new addition to the Star Wars saga, FMV cutscenes and diverse environments, and lightsaber combat! One of the best FPS.

Planescape Torment

Combat is horrible, but everything else is brilliant. Probably the best writing I've seen in an RPG (thanks to maestro Chris Avellone), and you can choose what type of character you want to be - noble, asshole, whatever you want, you basically wake up as a living corpse and have to piece everything together as you go. You can buy it from GOG.com, and there's a mod guide which will help you set it up in spiffy high-resolution.

I'm a Tex Murphy fan too, UAKM was very good but The Pandora Directive was my favourite. You can get those games from GOG.com as well.

I'm with you on Jedi Knight, but I found Planescape to be a chore. It had great writing, and I could see the plot could be interesting, but it was just the wrong kind of game to be shoehorned into a D&D playstyle. It should have been an adventure game, or at least not have so many unnecessary rpg components, IMHO.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 27, 2012 4:33 am

Matt H wrote:

Never heard about The Pandora Directive. I was always curious about Martian Memorandum, since it's mentioned quite a bit in UAKM. Was just checking out GOG.com...makes me wish I still had a PC, I'd be dropping a chunk of change there!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Nostalgia » Jan 27, 2012 2:20 pm

You could do some amazing things in Jedi Kight 2 with your Force powers. Pull the guns from half a dozen stormtroopers' hands, make them fly into the air, jump up and chop one or two of them into two then run around finishing the others before they get back to their feet.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Tbickle » Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm

LIFE wrote:
King's Quest
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygAXaWCxPJ4[/youtube]

Oh yes, this!

It's crazy watching that again! I remember when I first played, how amazed I was at the graphics. I was obsessed when I first got that game.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Nostalgia » Jan 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Not sure if these have been posted yet.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ob73lgvE0M[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52UDQEfGxI[/youtube]
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Tbickle » Jan 27, 2012 9:17 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5azQdQR35E[/youtube]

How about Life and Death? It was a 50/50 split whether I tried really hard to complete a successful operation or tried to elicit the bloodcurling scream from the patient.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games