Console emulation

Emulation for XBone?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Console emulation

#1  Postby electricwhiteboy » Oct 28, 2015 10:12 am

Anyone got experience running console emulation on PC? Oddly I do find myself being slightly disappointed in not being able to play Halo 5, but nowhere near enough to consider buying an XBone. Tempted to download and run an emulator, are there any considerations I should be aware of? I’m assuming that multiplayer will be a nonstarter, but what about patches?

Are there any considerations about the monitor, I assume an emulator wont bolt on any graphical options so playing through a HD TV or equivalent resolution monitor would be a necessity.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Console emulation

#2  Postby mattthomas » Oct 28, 2015 10:48 am

Console emulation is really difficult these days, as a general rule of thumb the thing doing the emulation needs to be 10x more powerful than the thing it's emulating. Even now Playstation 2 emulators are just becoming okay, PS3, PS4, Xbox360, XBox Ones... forget it.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#3  Postby electricwhiteboy » Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am

Sorry, disregard. All the alleged emulators for the Xbone smell of free virus.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#4  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 28, 2015 10:53 am

Yeah you aren't going to get a Xbone emulator any time soon. Even older emulators are still a bit iffy, we have the power but not the skill to code them right. N64 emulators still have issues with some games, PS1 games with disc changing and sound at times. PS2 actually seems a bit better at times oddly enough.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby scott1328 » Oct 28, 2015 10:55 am

FWIW, Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 emulation is nearly perfect.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mattthomas » Oct 28, 2015 10:58 am

Nintento NES, SNES, DS emulation are par excellence. As are Sega Mega Drive and Master System :)
mattthomas

Print view this post

#7  Postby Mazille » Oct 28, 2015 11:03 am

The old stuff works fine, mostly, as do emulators the handhelds up to and including the DS and early PSP's. It starts to get wonky around the generation of the first Playstations, Gamecube, etc. There is one for the Wii and Gamecube, but it's really not a very stable experience. Everything after that is just a scam to get you to give your computer internet AIDS.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby mattthomas » Oct 28, 2015 11:05 am

Funny this should pop up today, as last night I had an overwhelming urge to play lemmings :)
mattthomas

Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Oct 28, 2015 11:08 am

Oh! I'm telling.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby scott1328 » Oct 28, 2015 11:09 am

mattthomas wrote:Funny this should pop up today, as last night I had an overwhelming urge to play lemmings :)

DOSBox emulator works great for DOS based games from the 90's. I just played lemmings last night.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 28, 2015 11:56 am

Or Scummvm. Dosbox can take a bit of fiddling and memory of the old commands to get games running. Scummvm started as an emulator for the LucasArts Scumm engine but it does a lot more now, no where near as much as Dosbox though.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby viocjit » Nov 13, 2015 9:37 am

You can forget this idea because hardware available nowadays in civil trade (I use the therm civil trade because I think that if you have billions of US dollar , Euro or British Pound etc... it is maybe possible to buy a supercomputer like those used by Governmental institutions and pay a dozens of programmers to obtain an emulator without forget to rent / buy or construct a room to store it.) can't run rightly games from console of seventh (PS3 , Xbox , 360 , Wii) and eight generation (PS4 , Xbox One , Wii U).

In my knowledge no emulators are available. Also processors of these console are more complex that those from the sixth Generation (Gamecube , PS2 , Xbox) , fifth generation (N64, PS1 , Sega Saturn) etc...
viocjit

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2015 9:49 am

Got a great GBA emulator on my phone, but the emulator for the PS2 tends to be iffy, and emulators for the XBone generation seem to be pretty much non-existent.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby purplerat » Nov 13, 2015 6:30 pm

I remember trying to run a PSX (because it made no sense to call it PS1 before PS2) emulator way back when and it was actually funny how hard it tried but just getting the initial screen for the game I tried took like 20 minutes. I imagine that's pretty much exactly what an XBone Emulator would be like today.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games