Day Z - ArmA II zombie mod

It's not the zombies you need to worry about

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Day Z - ArmA II zombie mod

#21  Postby Mazille » Jun 27, 2012 4:39 pm

I just murdered a dude. :shock:

It was my first kill and left me quite shaken, I must say. I was in one of the apartment blocks in Cherno, near a hospital, and when I came into the uppermost floor I thought "Sweet, more stuff I don't need and not a single fucking pistol."
I then heard steps and snapped around to see a dude with his back turned towards me. Obliviously he rummaged through some loot and when he was done and stood up I kinda snapped and pulled the trigger on my M1something shotgun. (He had a dinner bell.) What I forgot was that I only had one round left in the weapon, so I reloaded while I was wiggling around the room and he shot three or for rounds, but missed. Finally managed to put him out of his misery then.

I don't know why I shot. I guess I was too well decked out (apart from a hatchet I need and a pistol I want) and was on my way up north to live off the land and leave those dreadful deathtraps around Cherno and Elektro behind me. I just didn't want to lose my progress.
Anyway, I had to log out after this and have a smoke. Couldn't handle the adrenaline rush. Haven't played a game this intense in ages.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Sityl » Jun 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Mazille wrote:I just murdered a dude. :shock:

It was my first kill and left me quite shaken, I must say. I was in one of the apartment blocks in Cherno, near a hospital, and when I came into the uppermost floor I thought "Sweet, more stuff I don't need and not a single fucking pistol."
I then heard steps and snapped around to see a dude with his back turned towards me. Obliviously he rummaged through some loot and when he was done and stood up I kinda snapped and pulled the trigger on my M1something shotgun. (He had a dinner bell.) What I forgot was that I only had one round left in the weapon, so I reloaded while I was wiggling around the room and he shot three or for rounds, but missed. Finally managed to put him out of his misery then.

I don't know why I shot. I guess I was too well decked out (apart from a hatchet I need and a pistol I want) and was on my way up north to live off the land and leave those dreadful deathtraps around Cherno and Elektro behind me. I just didn't want to lose my progress.
Anyway, I had to log out after this and have a smoke. Couldn't handle the adrenaline rush. Haven't played a game this intense in ages.

:jawdrop:

Did someone say this game is alpha? Is it free?
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Mazille » Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm

The mod itself is free and an alpha, yes.

You need either ArmA II Combined Operations (about 30$) or the free ArmAII version + the expansion called "Operation Arrowhead" (about 15$, but no HD graphics, I think.) to play it, though. Haven't properly tried ArmA II itself yet. Only the tutorial, in which I royally sucked. From what I read it's a rather good mil-sim, if you're into that sort of stuff.

It's also quite demanding on the hardware, especially the hard-drive. I can run it on my 5-year-old Toshiba Satellite p200, but with pretty much everything set to normal or low. Still looks nicer than you'd expect, though.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Sityl » Jun 27, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm confused, what kind of game is it without the mod?
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Nostalgia » Jun 27, 2012 7:50 pm

It's a "military simulator". Basically a war game. I haven't played it but it's the unofficial sequel to Operation Flashpoint, one of my favourite games of all time.

I would love to get this, it's pretty much my ideal game. But I can't play online games. :cry:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Mazille » Jun 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Sityl wrote:I'm confused, what kind of game is it without the mod?

ArmA II (Armed Assault II) with the expansion "Operation Arrowhead". You can buy them in a bundle called ArmA II: Combined Operations. There exists another expansion, but I don't know it's name and it's not relevant for the mod.

DayZ is a mod for that game.

MacIver wrote:It's a "military simulator". Basically a war game. I haven't played it but it's the unofficial sequel to Operation Flashpoint, one of my favourite games of all time.

I would love to get this, it's pretty much my ideal game. But I can't play online games. :cry:

I don't think it shares anything with OF, except the genre. Was the same studio involved or something? I played OF for a while back in the day, but I don't remember it being that... hard.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Nostalgia » Jun 27, 2012 7:59 pm

The way I remember it is that shed loads of the original staff left the studio because they were unhappy with the way OP2 was going and went to work on the first ArmA game. Thus why it's the "spiritual" sequel.

Just did a quick Google, here we go...

ARMA is the spiritual successor to Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and features an overhauled game engine, with improved graphics, physics, multiplayer functionality, scripting capabilities, and new units and vehicles. An expansion pack titled ArmA: Queen's Gambit was released in 2007.

Because of legal issues between BI and Codemasters (the original publishers of Operation Flashpoint), Codemasters owns the intellectual property to the name Operation Flashpoint. Since BI severed its connection with Codemasters and no longer has the legal right to use the Operation Flashpoint name, Armed Assault is considered to be the direct descendant of Operation Flashpoint.

Linky.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Mazille » Jun 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Well, I stand corrected.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Bribase » Jun 27, 2012 9:56 pm

The guys at PC Gamer are huge fans of the mod. They have a great walkthough for installation here. Also the forum has great tips for beginners here. If you want to get a feel for the game (or at least what it's like when you have an awesome squad and have the best weapons on the map) check out Sacriel's youtube channel:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Amazing Gameplay!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcKgtMUs2M[/youtube]

His great beginner's guide vid is here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hRQ3vFkh_c[/youtube]

I'm off to find a UK server with my new mic. Maybe see you there (same handle as my Ratskep).
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 28, 2012 12:05 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfo5UvaPABc[/youtube]
i used this to help with installation
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Bribase » Jun 28, 2012 2:18 am

I had such a good run! I started in Cap Golova and made my way to the barns at Prigorodky. Grabbed a hatchet, binocs and a canteen. Made my way to Electro to raid the western firestation (downstairs was filled with razor wire but I managed to upgrade my revolver to an M9SD (silenced pistol!). Grabbed food in the supermarket, blew the hospital open and grabbed blood packs and morphine hypos. Then headed east to Kamyshovo to raid the deer stand, there was nothing there to make for a decent primary weapon so I headed to the castle north of there. Getting to the castle was a bit of a nightmare since I hadn't found a compass yet. I chased down a rabbit and cooked it on the roof of the castle, then I headed north.

Feeling pleased with my pistol but in need of something with a little range and power and a bit dejected to have made it through Electro without finding something suitable I made a bee-line for the second deer stand North of Rog por castle. The place was swarming with zombies, I mean there were about 30, way too many for a single deer stand and a small industrial loot point.

Then I found out why. Slap bang in the middle of the field the deer stand faces was a downed helicopter! I silently took out the 2 Zs closest to me and flung a smoke grenade as far as I could across the bulk of the zombie horde, this served to ward them away from the precious cargo. At first I thought the heli had been looted but I found an L85A2 AWS, the most versatile weapon in the game! I thought for a second that this model had an untoggleable night vision scope (I heard it mentioned in one of Sacriel's videos) but when I aimed and pressed night vision toggle the sight changed to Infra-red. That's right, A FUCKING INFRA-RED SCOPE! I was in love with this rifle about as much as the game.

I desperately wanted to try my new toy out on the thirty odd zombies that had now grown tired of the smoke grenade but I decided to push on, that's when my luck changed. I headed to the small town of Msta, taking the high ground and surveying with my glorious infra red vision. I wanted to get to the centre of town to replenish my canteen. I had been scoffing down can after can of beans and pasta and drinking my fill of cola but I was running short on fluids. I equipped my silenced pistol and headed into the centre of town, taking care to stay undetected.

Thats when disaster struck. I threw a flare a little too close to me to try and shift some Zs out of my path to the well and alerted a hopper, I tried not to panic and deigned to kill him with my pistol. Until I realised that I still had my flares equipped! wasting precious time in my throwing animation I decided to sprint for it, the hopper broke my leg and I fumbled to equip my L85A2. Now was as good a time as any to try it out! Even on full auto while I was lying prone the rifle was amazingly accurate and easy to wield, I shot down 7-10 Zs, hoping for a break between fresh kills and newly alerted undead to jab myself with morphine. I had lost lots of blood but wasn't bleeding. The break in the zombie horde never came and myself and my beautiful new weapon were lost forever.

The lesson of this run: You begin lootless and don't care much about having to respawn so you're not as stealthy as you should be. As you begin to build a decent amount of kit you become more precious and care more about your survival. Unfortunately, I mistook an amazing new weapon for invincibility and an avoidble trip to a little town for supplies I didn't really need became a fight to the death. Lesson learned, loot lost.

Oh, and I got my new mic but didn't see or hear from another soul throughout the run, even in Electro. I wanted to see how players treat you when you aren't forced to be reticent. I've got to admit that with the L85A2 I felt like any player would happily betray me to get their hands on one.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 28, 2012 2:27 am

i never use smoke grenades or flares, its pretty easy to just evade the zombles by crouching/crouchwalking

if one sees you, just run like hell, going through a few buildings/barns is a quick way to get rid of them, or go down a steep hill and the zombies will fall to their death
or just shoot them all if you have the ammo

i found that the Crossbow is probably the best relatively common weapon early in the game, the bolts are easy to find, and if you aggro a zombie you can just kill it without any others hearing you, and obviously you can get the bolt back from the zombie you just killed (usually, sometimes you cant cause the zombie is laying on it or has fallen into a wall or something)
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#33  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 29, 2012 1:26 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWf8aZSzQlQ[/youtube]

:rofl:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Bribase » Jun 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I've had a whole load of bad runs. One of them including me wandering around Cherno on 3000 blood. I made it to the army aid station and loaded up on bloodpacks as my vision blurred and I began to pass out. I wandered all around the best loot points in the city trying to find someone to give me a transfusion but to no avail.

My last play began as a simple raid of kamenka and the surrounding deer stands. I picked up an Mp5a5 which had the stopping power of a light breeze. I was desperate until I found a bicycle North West of Komarovo!

It's amazing how something as simple as a bike solves so many problems. I spent my time zipping from small town to small town around the northwest. Staying far away from the PvP areas, I figured that those that make it up there know how precious a bike is and would shoot me as soon as I dismounted to explore something. I'm becoming very cocky with my stealthing, I've still only got an M1911 and a CZ550 but with my bike strategically placed to be close enough to me to find again in a hurry and pointing toward my escape route. Any Zs I can't take out can be easily outrun!

The problem is now that I have a mode of transport I'm petrified of urban areas and other players. I would love a better primary weapon and the deer stands aren't providing me with what I need but I'm not going to the northwest airstrip for love or money. I'm going to keep travelling until I find another downed heli I think. Keeping moving and holing up in remote areas is the name of the game. I'm staying overnight in Devil's castle for now, I doubt the trip up the long winding path to a collection of minor residential drops will be worth anyone's time.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 29, 2012 11:27 pm

i just went to NW Airfield to practice my sniping, did not go well at all, spent like 5 minutes looking at 2 dudes and estimating the distance (about 500 meters) and after a few failures to hit i retreated :shifty:

it was weird, i had no trouble hitting zombies at similar distances but the shots went all over the place, one of the shots i took hit a zombie that ran right infront of one of the guys i was shooting :coffee:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby SPMaximus » Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm

oh shit, i was on my way to Stary Sobor to hopefully snipe some players, while i was running way around it in hopes of finding a decent vantage point, i saw a bicycle in the distance, and i slowly approached it, BOOM it is fully repaired! i jumped on it and got the hell out of there, drove (im 99% sure it has some weird car sounds like exploding exhaust sound or something, i keep thinking someone is trying to shoot me) into the woods on the left side of the map

still dont have a bloody compass, so navigating is annoying

DE 74 is now where i will play, at least until i lose the bicycle :popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Bribase » Jul 02, 2012 2:18 am

Bicycles spawn fully operational and tend to be hard to destroy unless you crash into a lot of stuff.

My bike got nicked from Devil's castle! I knew it wasn't a glitch because there was a crossbow bolt embedded in the wall right by it. I spent the rest of my playthrough searching for common bicycle spawn points from the radio tower at Olsha by the NE airfield to the remote little shack between Starry Sobor and Guglovo but to no avail.

the server was half full but I saw few other players. The one's I did see were very sheepish and uncommunicative. One guy I ran into in the supermarket in Krasnostav sped away in his jeep before we had a chance to exchange pleasantaries. I finally came a cropper in the NW airfiled by Vybor. I made it into the heavily zombified barracks there with careful use of flares for distraction. I headed over the the radio tower and realised that I had to take a zombie out in the control room but my AKS-74 Kobra would attract hundreds of Zs. I flung a flare as far as I could to move the Zs away from hearing my gunshot but one missplaced round into the zombie in the control room caused me to panic and spray wildly as he broke my leg. The horde was on it's way and I had enough ammo from the barracks to fend them off (about 5 clips for my Kobra) but without morphine I was truly fucked. The doorway to the radio tower was blocked by debris and the only way down was the ladder I used to get up there. Unfortunately, the ladder wasn't working for me (did they patch it so it can't be used with broken limbs?) so I had to flop off the side. I got knocked out for a while but after necking some painkillers and half a cow I had enough strength to continue but was hampered by the shock. My hearing muffled and my vision blurry I tried to make it the firestation on the off chance I could find a medical drop. I didn't hear the zombie police officer creep up on me, I took a knee and waited to be surrounded. Knowing that this was my last stand.

Zombie kills: 113
Headshots: 67
Murders: 0 (The few players I saw were passive but uncommunicative, there were few razor wire exploits, no bandits to be seen, a server I would like to come back to: Vpope)

Lesson learned: Always hide your vehicle well. being in an infrequently visited area is not enough; hide it in the woods were nobody can find it. Never head North without 2 morphine hypos. You can neck soda and eat whole livestock as you go but a broken leg means a long crawl back to Cherno or Berezino and the people there are just as uncommunicative but exchange a lot more bullets.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby SPMaximus » Jul 08, 2012 1:44 pm

i still have my DMR/AKM character, not played much this past week, i havent found a compass yet, must have found about 50 maps and 200 watches but no compass

the other day when i was looting the supermarket in Zelenogorsk i found an M1911 and right as i was about to pick it up all the loot in the town despawned :what:
i checked some other buildings and they were completely empty too, so that kinda sucked
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Bribase » Jul 22, 2012 1:43 am

I had an awesome time playing today. I resumed my character on a private hive server (search for hoping to find it, veteran server, no 3rd person, no crosshairs and no waypoints). I messed around in the NWAF, fixing up a white SUV I found there. I got it working only to lose it in a server reset or a theft before I logged back in (not sure which). None the less, I continued on foot feeling naked without TOYOTA armour protecting me. I went through Stary Sobor and North to the less travelled areas of Old field and Altar where I promptly got hopelessly lost. Spying a downed heli in the distance and losing my bearings. I continued East in the hope of eventually finding Dubrovka and the main road up to Krasnostav and the NEAF.

That's when I caught eyes on it, a green hatchback that had run off the side of the road near Dubrovka. In perfect condition but with about a 10th of a tank of fuel left in it. I jumped, in and made my way to Krasnostav, desperate to find a jerry can at one of the fuelling stations.

The little hatchback made terrible progress on the dirt tracks but really opened up when it hit the main road. Still, my fuel guage was flashing and I was worried it wouldn't make it and I would have to ditch it before I reached civilisation, well, what passes for it in the zombie apocalypse.

My tank went dry literally as I pulled on to the road leading to the fuel pump just East of Krasnostav. I sprinted the extra 40m up to the large warehouse doors, knowing my M1911 would make short work of the zeds that followed me in. To my surprise a player had parked his white SUV in the warehouse and was busily munching on some beans behind it, oblivious to my arrival.

I prioritised the player as the few zeds that followed me approached. I got behind him as he munched away on his provisions, I aimed my pistol at his head and asked him to respond. No answer. I took out the two approaching zeds and repeated my request "Speak to me or I will fire". A third zed approached through the doorway, I took it out and repeated my ultimatum. Would I shoot him and take what save for a server glitch or player theft should be rightfully mine? He wasn't a bandit but he seemes like a theif. But who knows how many times that SUV had changed hands or respawned. Would I shoot a player that was no threat for the sake of a well fuelled upgrade to my lowly hatchback?

He turned his head to me and spoke, being sure to not point his AK-74 at me, his name was Vladimir, he was thankful that I didn't shoot while he occupied himself with first aid and vittles. I told him my predicament and told him he could peer down the road to check that my story about the car was legitimate, it was no more than 40m away. We both laughed that I had managed to make it just far enough. He had a full jerry can and said he was happy to refill my car as long as I covered him while I did it. He ran back up to the warehouse to fetch his SUV, a far superior vehicle. He asked if I wanted to ditch the hatchback and ride shotgun with him, I told him I would rather hold on to it. "Okay then", he replied "follow me!".

We set off south, his well maintained SUV made short work of the dirt tracks ahead while my pityful little clunker tried desperately to keep up. I flipped on my compass and tried to follow on the map but all I could do was keep following the cloud of dust that was the vehicle in front of me. We finally slowed down in some tiny village in the middle of nowhere to see a beaten up police car slow down and stop next to us. Four players appeared, each with various M16 and M4 rifles. Vladimir's friends!

They helped me set up my connection to the local teamspeak server so we could communicate while we drove, then we set off to the East of Electro by way of Solichiny to refuel and pick up a newly spawned player named Elmo. As we drove the FPS lag grew, the server trying to adequately track the movement of our three car, six man convoy. The server restarted and we logged on again to find the map bathed in darkness. 9:30pm on a server that was teaming with PvP players, chatter on teamspeak mentioned a notorious player in Electro with an AS50. We decided to switch off our headlights just beyond Kamyshovo and let Elmo try to make it to us. Another player (an absolute beginner) named Michael also found us and joined the convoy. We made our way up the long coastal road to Berezino using our headlamps sparingly. I sat in the passenger seat while another English player tried to follow the tail of the police car and SUV. We pulled up to the cafe, South of Berezino and a small team made their way up to loot the hospital there, lit from behind with flashlights so they had their hands free to defend themselves while they made their approach. We slipped back onto the coastal road and began the long drive North and up through Khelm. Planning on a cookout and drag race if we could make it to the NEAF.

As we drove through the winding roads through Khelm we were forced to use our headlamps to avoid the debris that the SUV could plow through but had to be navigated by the police car and hatchback. Then, disaster struck as a four man team with anti-materiel rifles made short work of our tires before focusing on the windows and our heads. Clearly they had superior equipment; either NV or thermal optics. Each of our eight man convoy were dead in seconds in a mixture of laughter and panic.

It was a real mixture of an adventure. Two outright murders; One very early on in Balota where I wasn't taking chances in a PvP area, one in the NWAF where it's truly kill or be killed, one bandit killed as he hacked a guy he was speaking to, to death. A lonely and brutal first half of a game, fending for myself and avoiding players when I could. But a split decision to wait for a fellow survivor to respond resulted in a fantastic adventure that lasted just long enough to make me forget how cheap the lives of other players can be in this game.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby Tursas » Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Some Czechs took a trip to the area Chernarus is modelled after. Pretty cool.

http://imgur.com/a/qEkrm

Google Street view also has a lot of recognisable shots: http://imgur.com/a/tkH9L

And http://imgur.com/a/mo8fF
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games