Day Z - ArmA II zombie mod

It's not the zombies you need to worry about

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Day Z - ArmA II zombie mod

#1  Postby Rome Existed » Jun 03, 2012 1:54 am

Anyone play?

It's only in alpha at the moment. It's being made by an employee of BIS in his spare time.

He describes it as an anti game. It's not for entertainment but for emotions.

The goal, the only goal, in the game is survival. How you survive is up to you.

It's multiplayer. You play as a survivor of a zombie apocalypse.

However, zombies are secondary to the gameplay, unlike in most games.

You need water and food to survive. You'll also need bandages if wounded, more ammo, painkillers, etc. These can be obtained by going into towns and cities and searching buildings. As expected these places are overrun by zombies.

Another way to survive is to kill other players and steal what they are carrying. Death is not just a minor inconsideration in this game. If you die you start over.

http://www.dayzmod.com/
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Day Z - ArmA II zombie mod

#2  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 03, 2012 10:52 pm

im buying arma 2 combined operations in a couple weeks when i have the money

until then i will have a sad :coffee:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3  Postby JoeB » Jun 04, 2012 9:03 am

[Reveal] Spoiler: video with some rough language
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c638kVO-XPk[/youtube]

Here's a video with some fun commentary :P
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Bribase » Jun 04, 2012 9:13 am

I tried playing Arma 2 but between the horrible mouse acceleration/lag problems and the terrible optimisation for what is an old but still capable ATI 4870x2 it was just impossible to play. A shame because both Arma and Day Z look right up my street.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Rome Existed » Jun 05, 2012 1:53 am

Since you're spending most of the time sneaking around you don't need to be that great at aiming. If you can get around without firing a shot you're doing well.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 11, 2012 11:43 pm

http://www.twitch.tv/puddn

i like this guys stream, he streamed for 16 hours straight last night :shock:

he plays with friends and they find and repair a ton of vehicles and stuff

last night they had a tractor, 2 atv's and a couple bicycles (not all at once)

they just drove around in a dirt bike (2 of them on it) when a couple other guys opened fire on them right outside a village, they crashed the dirt bike into a tree, retreated to the other side of the village up to some hills and had a stand off with the other 2 guys
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mazille » Jun 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I am this close to getting ArmA II: CO and getting this thing started, but I'm not sure it will run on my now 5 year-old laptop. The free version of ArmA ran alright, but it was on rather low settings and I didn't see any major action. Got my butt kicked in the fucking tutorial. :sigh:

Anyway, been watching a couple of LP's and it looks really fun. I'd love to get going, but I'm not too fond of wasting money on games that might or might not run on my machine.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Rome Existed » Jun 13, 2012 10:36 am

God damn it gets dark.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 16, 2012 2:56 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79QSNkIEwsw[/youtube]

:rofl:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Bribase » Jun 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Bribase wrote:I tried playing Arma 2 but between the horrible mouse acceleration/lag problems and the terrible optimisation for what is an old but still capable ATI 4870x2 it was just impossible to play. A shame because both Arma and Day Z look right up my street.

I take it all back. I bit the bullet and realised that the poor optimisation and mouse lag were never fixed in the demo of Arma 2 so I assumed that they weren't fixed at all. I bit the bullet and have been having a whale of a time. Day Z is awesome.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Rome Existed » Jun 25, 2012 8:18 am

Sadly the newer alpha of Day Z doesn't want to run on my computer.

Can't wait for an update that does run.

My character has been alive for about a week or so at probably a couple of hours a day play time.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mazille » Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm

AAAAaaaaand, dead again. And it was the first time I had gun, a Lee Enfield (aka. Dinner Bell) and some other stuff too!

I was just looting Cherno, minding my own business, until I heard a distinct "Ffffzzt!"sound and dropped dead with a hole in my face. I only heard the shot almost a second later. He must have gotten me from a couple of hundred meters away, the sneaky sniper fuck.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#13  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 25, 2012 4:28 pm

sooo ive died since i had my ak-74 kobra and stuff, now i have a AKM with 8 magazines and a DMR, one of the best sniper rifles in the game, with 4 20 shot magazines

:smoke:

ive found like a million magazines for the AKM, i had 10 recently but dumped 2 to make room for other stuff, and i found like 2 more that i couldnt take, i will probably reduce the total number to 5 or 6 at some point :coffee:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mazille » Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Unfortunately my internet connection has decided to fuck with me, so I can't get anything to run stably. Once that is sorted out, though, I suggest we get together on a server and let loose the dogs of war. Bit of a RatSkep get-together. What say you fine people?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Ratskeppers playing together would be pretty cool

oh man, just found a player looting a deer stand, i was like 10 meters behind him by the time i saw him, then i quietly snuck away and hid, while keeping him in my sight with the sniper, then i followed him for like 10 minutes about 200-300 meters behind him, thinking if i should shoot him or not, and in the end i didnt, im such a wuss :shifty:

looked like he had an m4a1 or something with a grenade launcher, he also had an alice pack

Absman you lucky bastard :popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Bribase » Jun 26, 2012 12:10 pm

It took me about 20 deaths before I thought to myself "Oh... I guess I'm actually meant to shoot everyone on sight."
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Mazille » Jun 26, 2012 2:38 pm

I actually had two or three really nice encounters with friendlies. Very intense stuff. That said, I have gotten my face blown off way more often.

So, about that get-together. Who's up for it and when?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Bribase » Jun 26, 2012 6:28 pm

I just had a really nice run of it. I spawned in Electro and made my way to the power plant via the north of the city. I had to run for it up the tower of the fire station but managed to calm the Zs down, at this point I had nothing but tin cans. Thats when I heard a player screaming. Lo and behold a guy died right in the forecourt of the firestation with an ALICE pack and an AK74-Kobra with a reflex sight. Not to mention beans, blood packs and even a morphine hypo! I made my way into Electro to get some more food and ammo. I had to murder a player as he came out of the church. He was a rookie but he had just about everything for survival; a watch, compass, hunting knife. I felt bad but guessed he had been scouting electro for a while and was decent at it, plus it's kill or be killed in the cities. This was not the time for him to be praying and I'm pretty sure he only had one testicle.

I made my way to Topolka dam, planning on getting as far North as possible without too much hastle, avoiding bandits by taking the more remote route. curiosity got the worst of me and I decided to try and coax a Hopper out of a shed to see what was inside, I messed up badly and threw a smoke grenade instead of a tin can. I got badly injured and my vision began to blur. I made my way to the barn further north hoping to find some supplies but instead I found a cow to slaughter! Now I needed firewood at the barn but instead I found an axe. I hadn't cooked food or harvested wood before but managed to scoff down four steaks and was on my way again.

The route through the valleys was a good idea. There were small but manageable towns to loot, although I found more than I could carry and came across weapons that had nothing on the AK74-Kobra in my hands. I made good use of the binculars and the compass as well as the evenly spaced ponds to refill my canteen. I felt fully self sufficient for the first time in the game, butchering animals as I went and living off the land.

That's when I let my guard down. I was coming up to a small town outside of Vyshnoye. It was getting to be early evening and in the forested areas visbility is terrible. I thought I saw something human shaped just of the side of a little path that was branching off of the road I was walking on. I whipped out my binocs and couldn't see a thing. Just as I was about to continue on my merry way I was hit with some kind of sniper rifle, all I can say is that it must be good for dispatchng zombies and elephants alike. Death was instantaneous. I'm not bitter but you always ask yourself if you had sorted out your VOIP setup, typed something in direct chat or simply saluted and offered him some lamb, pork or beef, maybe we could have been friends. I logged out for the day, went on amazon and ordered a usb mic.

Being a lone survivalist, having everything you need to survive on your back, picking the easiest route north and getting in and out of towns without taking risks is fun as hell but nothing is more advantageous to survival than a few more sets of eyes, ears, backpacks and trigger fingers.

Kills

24 zombies 20 headshots
1 Murder
1x Cow 1xSheep 1xboar- All delicious, thanks for asking.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Mazille » Jun 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Nice. Never got that far myself. Although I am currently sitting in the church in Cherno.I'm currently decked out with a Dinner Bell and an ALICE pack, plus some stuff. All I need now is a hatchet and a canteen and I can head north and loot some deer stands. On the other hand, I fully expect to face my untimely death as soon as I log back on.

By the way: Found a really handy map that shows you lootable places, in case anyone's interested. I'm scared of using it while I am in game, though, since I'd have to alt-tab out and I have a feeling that this would be likely to result in my death.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#20  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 26, 2012 8:40 pm

http://dayzdb.com/map
i prefer that map