Desert dig uncovers huge Atari games dump

E.T. unearthed

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Desert dig uncovers huge Atari games dump

#1  Postby DougC » Apr 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Could have posted this in Do you still buy games at full price? or Upcoming Video Games . :coffee:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27187609
B.B.C. Article
Video game archaeologists have found a cache of Atari games that were buried in the New Mexico desert 30 years ago.
Before now reports Atari had dumped millions of game cartridges were widely believed to be an urban myth.
But a three-hour dig at a landfill site turned up many Atari cartridges, including copies of the game ET: The Extra Terrestrial.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Desert dig uncovers huge Atari games dump

#2  Postby trubble76 » Apr 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Does that mean they advance to Level 2?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Didn't they make more copies of the game (reputedly, one of the worst in history) than the number of consoles that actually existed?
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DougC » Apr 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Didn't they make more copies of the game (reputedly, one of the worst in history) than the number of consoles that actually existed?

I believe so,I think they said that on the radio this morning.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Piper » Apr 28, 2014 6:19 pm

:lol:
We used to joke about hunting for that years ago, being a collector. I can't believe it's real. :mrgreen: I noticed a Centipede shown there, twice, that was a good game. Hmm.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby BlackBart » Apr 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Ironically, if I remember correctly, most of the game involved ET trying to escape from holes in the ground.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Indeed it did, and it also is not the worst game in history...not even the worst sold for the Atari. But it was a bad game, a game that certain executives thought would sell like hot cakes and it didn't. Most likely it didn't sell because people were tired of being tricked into buying a shitty game by lying reviews and basically not having an unbiased way of telling if a game was good and bad.

This is an amazing find, the rumor of the carts being dumped into a tip was always floating around and it is nice to see it proved one way or another. One day I hope to have an Atari collection with ET to take pride of place alongside other great games like Superman *for the N64 and Shaq FU.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Rome Existed » Apr 29, 2014 3:38 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:...people were tired of being tricked into buying a shitty game by lying reviews and basically not having an unbiased way of telling if a game was good and bad.

Well, good thing it's not like that anymore.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 29, 2014 3:40 am

Rome Existed wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:...people were tired of being tricked into buying a shitty game by lying reviews and basically not having an unbiased way of telling if a game was good and bad.

I have often argued that if publishers don't learn from this event and keep paying off reviewers to get their shit high marks to trick people that it will happen again.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rome Existed » Apr 29, 2014 3:44 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:

I have often argued that if publishers don't learn from this event and keep paying off reviewers to get their shit high marks to trick people that it will happen again.

Notice how most big games no longer have a demo before release? Many never release a demo. They don't want to interfere with the Day One Sales. Games now pass or fail on how many games they sell on Day One. It's the Holy Grail of game development now. Notice too how barely any game reviewer will give any big game less than 90%?

Indie games are starting to sell really well. Maybe we will get a crash, at least with big games. Some big publishers are starting to call their games Indie Games. They're trying to redefine it as a genre. :roll:
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games