Deus Ex: HR

Discussion and Appreciation

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Deus Ex: HR

#101  Postby Wiðercora » Oct 30, 2011 3:47 pm

I don't remember which one Taggart was. Was his ending the one were biomodification was strictly regulated by the UN?
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Wuffy » Oct 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes, you first meet him when he comes out of Sarif's. And you have a big drag out speech fight with him inside the Convention centre.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Darkchilde » Oct 30, 2011 5:10 pm

he is the Humanity Front's leader. The one against augs, and if you choose his ending in the end, humanity goes back to the Middle Ages.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Varangian » Oct 31, 2011 9:56 pm

It's funny to note how things are different when playing it again. As one is familiar with most locations and the gameplay, stealth becomes easier. I'm also more effective when searching for stuff. I've solved a few situations a bit differently, but the major difference lies in the fact that I had somehow accumulated nine more Praxis points by the time the enemy troops enter the Picus office. As those points had gone into augs like cloaking, getting to the funicular has become a breeze. I've got more tranq and stun darts than I know what to do with...

One nice feature of the game is that the email conversations on the computers give a greater depth to the story, e.g. TYM's QC issues and ruthless policies, or the life of the Picus employees (gaming, parties, and so on). BTW, another injoke I found: in Hengsha, someone mentions "Pod 9". There's a Montreal-based game publisher named "Dream Pod 9"...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Wuffy » Nov 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Juuuuuuust finished Missing Link an hour ago... Holy crap.
I missed 6 of the Achievements, one of which is Factory Zero (That bastard must be impossible)

Achievement Spoiler
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Has anyone managed to save both the prisoners AND the whistleblower with Factory Zero?
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Tursas » Nov 02, 2011 4:46 pm

I did Factory Zero on the first playthrough. Sneaking and takedowns are easy even without augs.
For the other achievement,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
look around a bit in the prison room (bottom level) to find a grate behind a "heavy" box. You also need the jumping augment.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Varangian » Nov 07, 2011 1:34 am

Managed to rescue Malik while just knocking out the opposition on the umpteenth try. It was nice to enter the chop shop in the Harvester place and not finding her corpse...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby Wuffy » Nov 07, 2011 2:53 am

I spent Saturday doing another run through Missing link to get Factory Zero, and didn't get it. I think the fact I triggered a mine by accident counted as me using explosives... Which sucks.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Varangian » Nov 07, 2011 7:55 am

Wuffy wrote:I spent Saturday doing another run through Missing link to get Factory Zero, and didn't get it. I think the fact I triggered a mine by accident counted as me using explosives... Which sucks.

Well, it is a kind of suicide bomb...

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Varangian » Nov 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Well, I finished my second play-through, and some idiot appears to have died on me, denying me the "Pacifist" achievement. Anyway, I bagged about half a dozen more achievements this time. "Hangar 18" wasn't easy to find, and was protected by the heaviest security in any computer I hacked. It was worth the laugh, though. Chosing which ending to prefer wasn't easy, but I guess Sarif's was the least bad. I believe it was the Darrow ending ws osrt of disqualified when a line about hoping that wisdom would rule our politicians was uttered while showing a pic of Tony Blair... The Taggart ending, basically handing over things to the Illuminati, more or less sets up the scene for "Deus Ex" (the first game; many names from that game were encountered in DX:HR). Choosing to destroy Panchaea and everyone inside it basically lets humanity to stumble along as before, repeating the mistakes that led up to the situation in the game. Anyway, one of my better gaming experiences, and one that makes one think.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Wuffy » Nov 25, 2011 9:12 am

Right then.
So after muling it over and pondering things, I wonder if we won't have
Deus Ex 4: Human Revolution 2: Conspiracies.
Mostly because of that extra stuff going on revealed during the Missing Link
And how the Russian talks with his overlord about recruiting us. Which would work conveniently with all 4 endings.
I just wish Missing link could have been injected into a regular play instead of a separate chunk started separately.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#112  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 22, 2012 2:47 am

Varangian wrote:Well, I finished my second play-through, and some idiot appears to have died on me, denying me the "Pacifist" achievement. Anyway, I bagged about half a dozen more achievements this time. "Hangar 18" wasn't easy to find, and was protected by the heaviest security in any computer I hacked. It was worth the laugh, though. Chosing which ending to prefer wasn't easy, but I guess Sarif's was the least bad. I believe it was the Darrow ending ws osrt of disqualified when a line about hoping that wisdom would rule our politicians was uttered while showing a pic of Tony Blair... The Taggart ending, basically handing over things to the Illuminati, more or less sets up the scene for "Deus Ex" (the first game; many names from that game were encountered in DX:HR). Choosing to destroy Panchaea and everyone inside it basically lets humanity to stumble along as before, repeating the mistakes that led up to the situation in the game. Anyway, one of my better gaming experiences, and one that makes one think.

I just finished this, and was a bit put off by the ending choices.

I never played the second one, but the first game had all satisfying choices to some extent; side with Tong and reshape society on a more local/independent level, side with the Illuminati for luxury and corruption, or meld with the computer and trust yourself to guide it in shaping society.

With this one, it doesn't seem like you have a non-stupid option. You canlie and promote the bigots and crush aug tech, play a slanted 'confession' that paints aug-tech as evil and paints a simplistic view of morality, lie to crush the bigots and cement the coporate power-structure that led to this mess, or kill yourself and tell no one anything.

Given that it's all about what message to play through the media, I was a little dissapointed they didn't go with a simple,"Tell the straight truth option." and say " Tai Yong and Humanity First conspired to control the augs, Darrow coopted it to kill them, and then I, working for Sarif, stopped them. So it's not about augmentation since there are augs on both sides, it's about the politics that let them create the conspiracy."
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Varangian » Feb 22, 2012 7:53 am

Now, where would there be fun to tell the truth? ;)

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Darkchilde » Feb 22, 2012 8:22 am

quixotecoyote wrote:
Given that it's all about what message to play through the media, I was a little dissapointed they didn't go with a simple,"Tell the straight truth option." and say " Tai Yong and Humanity First conspired to control the augs, Darrow coopted it to kill them, and then I, working for Sarif, stopped them. So it's not about augmentation since there are augs on both sides, it's about the politics that let them create the conspiracy."

[Reveal] Spoiler: My opinion
That's one of the reasons I preferred siding with Sarif. The second being that Sarif really believes (from what we see) that the aug technology is the future of humanity. Sarif not only believes but he is also trying to help humanity. Taggart reminded me of all those religious bigots that want to stop something just because they do not like it; and Taggart was ready to let people die for it. Darrow is bitter because his discovery could not help him and so blames everyone else; and the bitch of TYM was playing everyone to try and gain control of the whole augmentation industry. And I did like David Sarif, in this game.

I must also say that I like the character of Pritchard.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#115  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 23, 2012 1:44 am

Yeah, the development of the Jensen/Pritchard relationship was done well.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby Wuffy » Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am

I choose the 4th option.

I think I mentioned that. Let humanity figure it out on their own, because no one should be in charge.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#117  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 23, 2012 4:30 am

Wuffy wrote:I choose the 4th option.

I think I mentioned that. Let humanity figure it out on their own, because no one should be in charge.

Except that doesn't really work. A lot of the main players are at the installation, but the conspirators running the WHO, Belltower, and PICUS aren't.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Wuffy » Feb 24, 2012 2:51 am

quixotecoyote wrote:
Wuffy wrote:I choose the 4th option.

Except that doesn't really work. A lot of the main players are at the installation, but the conspirators running the WHO, Belltower, and PICUS aren't.

Actually they were. Since the people running Picus etc was between dragon lady of TYM and Taggart. The main actual conspirators were cleaned out as you went along. You crashed through a lot of systems and servers. And the Burnout madness that occurred on the rig destroyed a lot more.

It was stupid of course having to choose to sacrifice myself. Which is annoying but no other ending really seemed to fulfill that "Stop leading people by the nose" urge.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Got the game on the PSN January sale. Downloading now. I'm expecting goodness.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Matt8819 » Jan 13, 2013 4:00 pm

It's a grand ol time

Sent from my phone, somehow.
Matt8819
RS Donator