Deus Ex: HR

Discussion and Appreciation

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Deus Ex: HR

#81  Postby Varangian » Oct 24, 2011 4:34 pm

aban57 wrote:
Varangian wrote:I lost Faridah Malik in Hengsha, but I guess it's inevitable with the stealth/"pacifist" approach.

It's not :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSV34nbovQc[/youtube]

Yikes! A lot more direct than the way I play. Gotta try it.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Darkchilde » Oct 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Wow, he did it with one battery??? But I guess he tried a few times before doing that.

Anyways, I am going to save Malik this time around.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Varangian » Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Also, he must've maxed his leg and rebreather augs in order to sprint around like that.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Wuffy » Oct 25, 2011 2:19 am

Yea, it looks like a lot of work but worth it. At least not to run into Malik again while stealthing through the Harvesters Gang. That was a shock.

I'd probably just eat lots of Candy. (As I hoard the bars and bottles" and charge at all those fellas. One thing I did find this playthrough I didn't find before, the unofficial limb clinic (Two level 5 security locks which are not jokes)

I found Taggart I thought he was easy to find, it was David Sarif I had to double back for. Is it possible to stealth through Pancea? Because I gave up and just did double takedowns on everyone, while slowly running backwards the whole way to some obstruction they couldn't cross.

I also missed out on gettting pacifist. It turns out those 6 crazies during the level with Zhao... You can't ill them either. ANd of course my autosaves were scrapped by the time I realised that. What annoyed me is I didn't get foxiest of the hounds despite the fact I am certain not to have triggered alarms.. But I think I screwed up a hack at some point. Which I think may trigger alarm.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Varangian » Oct 25, 2011 6:32 am

Next time I play the Panachea level, I'll stock up on gas grenades. Very effective against the crazies when stealth isn't enough. Heavy weapons are only useful in the boss fights; I won't bother with one until the second fight.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Darkchilde » Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am

My favorite weapons since the start have been:

1. the 10mm pistol. Easy to carry around, and can take a lot of upgrades, and become quite the weapon, even at the start.
2. The Combat Rifle. A few upgrades and it can take down bosses. I took bosses down with it.
3. The Stun Gun. I made it through levels and levels with just the stun gun, and the takedowns.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Wuffy » Oct 25, 2011 11:21 am

I love the combat rifle. Made it all the way until the end with just takedowns. Yes it took A long time and lots of reloading.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Bribase » Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am

Varangian wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Varangian wrote:I lost Faridah Malik in Hengsha, but I guess it's inevitable with the stealth/"pacifist" approach.

It's not :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSV34nbovQc[/youtube]

Yikes! A lot more direct than the way I play. Gotta try it.

It's not so tough. Just make sure you take out the guys with the heavy MGs and the Robot. You can really just take your time with the two snipers.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#89  Postby Wuffy » Oct 26, 2011 2:35 am

I'm currently doing the an ultra playthrough (Ghost everywhere, Hack about everything, knockout Maximum people). Does anyone known if the Tranq Rifle Works on these heavies? Because with all it's upgrades it can fire off quite quickly.. I think I'm mostly resigned to not getting Ghost in this map but can't hurt to try. :P
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Varangian » Oct 26, 2011 7:34 am

The tranq worked on the heavies, but it appears like more than one dart was needed.

Looking through some vids on YouTube, I was struck by the munchkin-like attitude displayed by some players. OK, games are played for entertainment, but some people appear to be no more than 13 years old (mentally). When you have a game that can be played differently than most of the FPS genre, those guys insist on extremely violent tactics and picking fights with the non-player characters.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Darkchilde » Oct 26, 2011 7:40 am

I want to say one thing though about DXHR, which I noticed.

Doesn't William Taggart remind you of William Lane Craig? I mean the similarities are obvious.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Wiðercora » Oct 26, 2011 7:45 am

Darkchilde wrote:My favorite weapons since the start have been:

1. the 10mm pistol. Easy to carry around, and can take a lot of upgrades, and become quite the weapon, even at the start.

The Pistol is probably the best weapon in the game. The AP modification - which only fits the pistol - allows the bullets to ignore armour, including augmentation armour. Later in the game, enemies' armour tends to increase, but their health not so much. Most can be taken down with a single headshot. And if you have the laser targeting, those headshots are ridiculously easy to get.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Varangian » Oct 26, 2011 7:53 am

Hmm... Stun gun, tranq rifle and pistol or combat rifle, with some gas, EMP and stun grenades and a few RDEDs seems to be a good choice for the stealthy player. Frees up a lot of space for snacks and painkillers, and the Praxis points needed to aug the carrying capacity can be used for more pressing stuff.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Wuffy » Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am

Varangian wrote:The tranq worked on the heavies, but it appears like more than one dart was needed.

Looking through some vids on YouTube, I was struck by the munchkin-like attitude displayed by some players. OK, games are played for entertainment, but some people appear to be no more than 13 years old (mentally). When you have a game that can be played differently than most of the FPS genre, those guys insist on extremely violent tactics and picking fights with the non-player characters.

I'm not sure what you mean by Munchkin. Because I'm probably counting as a munchkin like player since i like to maximise my rewards, going for 99% ghost and takedowns only, netting more xp. Take every inch!

Because as relaxing (Relatively speaking compared to trying to keep Ghost 100% of the time...) a shoot through as.. the lack of XP reward was frustrating.. and of course the things you miss if you don't hack everything...Of course the number of praxis you sink into Hacking might not be fully paid off it's hard to check without making a full analysis. Hey I'm sure someone has. I'm going to look that up.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Wiðercora » Oct 26, 2011 10:43 am

I'm not sure what you mean by Munchkin.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Munchkin

[Someone] who plays the game to "win", at any cost, even if that isn't the point of the game.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Varangian » Oct 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Replaying the game, intent on optimizing the augs and weaponry and trying to explore as much as possible.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Varangian » Oct 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Discovering some stuff in Detroit I missed in the first playthrough. Also, found some of the humour in the game. While exploring the police station, I overheard a conversation about "an 80's movie" about a police officer in Detroit who is turned cybernetic. The cop talking about the movie is named "Alex Murphy"... I found out why I probably missed the "Pacifist" achievement the first time - some of the DRB gangbangers are pretty frail little things, getting killed by a tranq dart or stun gun charge. Check downed enemies and see if they are just knocked out.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Varangian » Oct 29, 2011 6:52 pm

More injokes:After the Highland Park mission, Jensen meets Taggart. Jensen's last reply is "Thank you for illuminating me", which is clever when one learns later that Taggart belongs to the Illuminati...

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Wuffy » Oct 30, 2011 1:56 am

Taggart actually had me going. I really did think he happened to be an idealist who was being exploited.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Darkchilde » Oct 30, 2011 10:38 am

Wuffy wrote:Taggart actually had me going. I really did think he happened to be an idealist who was being exploited.

Not even for a moment. I found him slimy and :yuk: since the beginning.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games