Diablo 3

15th May

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Diablo 3

#281  Postby Wuffy » Jun 07, 2012 2:48 am

I got the Authenticator so I will probably go out and do some Public game this week end
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#282  Postby Wuffy » Jun 11, 2012 2:37 am

So... I just got into HardCore...

Holy crap, it's a thrill no death yet. I'm stomping around with my brother. it's fun.
And best part... The AH isn't ridiculously priced. It's Amazing.

I'm only looking at 100-5000 for good pieces of gear. Given I still haven't cracked level 15 but hey... I don't think prices will be as out of control there. It's a pleasure.

Also did Staff of herding Farming, I now have it up to Nightmare and halfway to having the 500,000 for hell staff.
Whoo.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#283  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 11, 2012 3:23 pm

I've been neglecting my Diablo lately. Need to get back :(
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#284  Postby Wuffy » Jun 19, 2012 4:46 am

So I'm prodding and poking at Diablo III, and the more I poke at it the more I realise it's player support needs work.

Trying to figure out new gear is actually an arcane art that only seems to revolve around swinging faster having more primary stat and having more ARM.

Which isn't actually helpful. I realised that even if you are swinging really fast (making your dps higher) It screws all your actual abilities.

As a barbarian, most of my powers trigger and deal a % of my weapon damage, that damage is unaffected by my actual hits per second. So high DPS helps for fuck all on most of my powers.

DPS for a weapon doing 50 damage, is the same as a weapon that does 100 damage as long as the other one is swung just as often. But the 100 weapon will end up giving better results simpyl by virtue of all the other things working from my weapon damage.

Take cleave, which I can put Rupture rune on, of look rupture does 85% of weapon damage in a radius to all enemies (All enemies that die do this, including those that die from that burst) So I would rather swing slower but with a stronger weapon to maximise this.

So I am tempted to actual bung together an actual character Calculator to figure out what's going on with your gear and what it is doign with your skill outputs. Though that may be a lot of work, any thoughts?
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#285  Postby iMMz » Jun 27, 2012 3:14 pm

I currently have a monk, wiz, and dh and am steamrolling inferno. If you need help with builds, skills, or necessary items just send me a PM!
iMMz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#286  Postby Tursas » Jun 28, 2012 1:14 am

It was fun for while but after beating Inferno once I can't find much reason to log in anymore. The gear is boring in general and acquiring it is not fun (nearly everything that drops is useless, crafting is useless), the RMAH is bad** and the story is tripe. Rather disappointing since I was expecting to spend a lot more hours than this.

** ...although I did manage to sell stuff to cover the cost of the game and then some.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#287  Postby iMMz » Jun 28, 2012 2:34 pm

There is no end game whatsoever, in its current form the game doesn't compare to d2. However once PvP comes out there will be a whole new point to farming gear, after all, Diablo was the series that pretty much created PvP.
iMMz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#288  Postby Wuffy » Jun 29, 2012 2:08 am

Tursas wrote:It was fun for while but after beating Inferno once I can't find much reason to log in anymore. The gear is boring in general and acquiring it is not fun (nearly everything that drops is useless, crafting is useless), the RMAH is bad** and the story is tripe. Rather disappointing since I was expecting to spend a lot more hours than this.

** ...although I did manage to sell stuff to cover the cost of the game and then some.

I'd like to get in on some of that :P

I've only managed Act I Inferno though so it's a little tough. I don't spend hours grinding to make the 1mil buyout price on some of the obscene gear out there.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#289  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 29, 2012 2:13 am

Month out of the game due to it not being playable on any of the computers at my folks' home. Have I missed anything?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#290  Postby Wuffy » Jun 29, 2012 2:44 am

Patch 1.03 which Made inferno easier to handle...

Now Neph stacks Guarantee a rare if you have a full 5 and kill Elite/Champions. That's been nice and handy.
Many people are now crawling around in Inferno and prices on gear has yet to drop.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#291  Postby LIFE » Aug 03, 2012 12:54 am

Tursas wrote:It was fun for while but after beating Inferno once I can't find much reason to log in anymore. The gear is boring in general and acquiring it is not fun (nearly everything that drops is useless, crafting is useless), the RMAH is bad** and the story is tripe. Rather disappointing since I was expecting to spend a lot more hours than this.

This. I still log in, doing a bit of farming Act I-III Inferno but I'm at a point where I'd have to spend 50mil+ on a single gear piece for an upgrade. This game is so broken it ain't funny. At least I got a bit of fun playing through it the first time but it totally lacks the atmosphere and diversity of its predecessor which is really sad.

Not only the loot system is garbage (really, 99.9% of loot is utter crap even with 365% MF buffed), set items and high level plans almost never drop, legendaries are crappendaries (although they wanna fix it in 1.0.4) and the economy is fucked up due to botters and exploiters skyrocketing the prices.

And don't tell me about the story, such a great original to work on and they messed it up. I don't want whimsy bosses and colourful landscapes, I want dark, doomy, gritty, frightening tombs and crypts, be scared through ambient screams and chain rattling when I finally have to face the Butcher but no...we get some weird WoW-Frankenstein instead.

And it feels so slooooooooooow, wtf cap movement speed to 25% in a face-paced hacknslash game?

Why the design changes from what looked more promising back in 2008?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvThjiE038[/youtube]

Where's the promised diversity? Everybody stacks All Res/Vit/Main stat on every item. Good riddance!
And the bugs! The bugs! Last week we had invulnerable wizards that could literally stomp through all acts without losing health and Barbarians glitching 500k crits just by walking through mobs, wow...What did they do during Beta?

And what is Blizzard doing? Nerfs attack speed, does a dozen stealth nerfs and leaves Inferno mode as broken "end game".
And Diablo was always about leveling and grinding gear, levels in D4 have been capped at 60 though and MF doesn't affect environement anymore, no point in destroying barrels and opening chests now. It's even counterproductive because with each hit your raise your repair bills :shock:

And last but not least you're not supposed to kill bosses but hunt elite packs instead, with retarded affix combinations (Nightmarish Arcane Enchanted Shielding Frozen anyone?)...

At least I was able to sell some gear to get my money back, only positive thing to cheer me up and only reason that keeps me playing, find some 250 EUR gear to feed rich kids. Though couple hundred hours in I have yet to find an item ingame I can actually USE on one of my 3 classes...but oh no, wait...I'll have to gamble it on

THE AUCTIONHOUSE

Meh.

I don't get why no game company releases something solid in that genre, show Blizzard they're not the king of innovative gaming anymore. And don't suggest Torchlight 2, PoE or Grim Dawn, they all can't compare to Diablo. The only thing that looks promising so far is Lineage Eternal:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcBFGK5B4w[/youtube]

If they make it face-paced (movement looks sloooooooooow again) and make singleplayer mode worthwhile I'm in :)

/rant
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#292  Postby Mononoke » Aug 03, 2012 5:47 am

I just saw that. They've sold 10mn diablo 3 copies. That's ridiculous. I've never heard of a PC game selling this many copies at this rate in the modern era.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#293  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Aug 03, 2012 5:49 am

LIFE wrote:And don't suggest Torchlight 2, PoE or Grim Dawn, they all can't compare to Diablo.

I can't comment on Torchlight 2 or Grim Dawn, but you're dead wrong about Path of Exile. :grin:

It's coming along nicely, and is already far better than D3*. You should have another look once it hits Open Beta, hopefully by the end of the year.

LIFE wrote:The only thing that looks promising so far is Lineage Eternal

Wow, that looks incredible.

*Edit: I realised you probably mean the Diablo series in general, but even then it's still comparable.
"I didn't stop the planes from hitting the buildings, but I left a cross in the rubble. You're welcome." - Yahweh
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#294  Postby LIFE » Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am

Path of Exile is fine in its own regard, I have a beta account and don't think it's bad ;)

It just has an outdated feel to it, feels more like Diablo I :D But more power to the Kiwies, it's an indie company after all and what they managed to pull off so far is quite amazing. I'll wait for PoE to finish though, right now there's no point in playing with all those wipes every few weeks.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#295  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Aug 04, 2012 6:57 am

Yeah at the moment all I'm doing are the weekend races. I've even reported a couple of bugs so I've done my part as a beta tester haha, so now I'm just waiting until it's effectively released.
"I didn't stop the planes from hitting the buildings, but I left a cross in the rubble. You're welcome." - Yahweh
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#296  Postby mrjonno » Aug 04, 2012 8:23 am

Nothing serious wrong with Diablo 3 except expectation.

How many hours of entertainment do you expect from a £40 game, 10 hours, 20 hours 200 hours?

To me 20 hours of entertainment £2 per hour is reasonable, if you have played more than 20 hours you have got value for money. It takes that at least to even get to inferno.

Blizzard sold 10 million they are happy, anyone who got their 20 hours should be happy
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#297  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 04, 2012 5:07 pm

mrjonno wrote:Nothing serious wrong with Diablo 3 except expectation.

How many hours of entertainment do you expect from a £40 game, 10 hours, 20 hours 200 hours?

To me 20 hours of entertainment £2 per hour is reasonable, if you have played more than 20 hours you have got value for money. It takes that at least to even get to inferno.

Blizzard sold 10 million they are happy, anyone who got their 20 hours should be happy

It was alright, but they lost some of the key ingredients from D2 that made it a game I played for years. Value for money? I bought D2 twice, D2 expansion three times, and the Diablo Box set. That's value for money - I played them until they wore out! :lol:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#298  Postby LIFE » Aug 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Disappointing the clear majority of their fanbase should not be in Blizzard's interest.
Sure they sold a lot and by sheer $$$ their game is successful but the game feels rushed (they had 10 years time, ffs) and Blizzard seems careless. Blizzard isn't anymore what Blizzard stood for, that's what comes as a shocker to many.
It's not the casual players that are upset, no argument there.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#299  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Aug 05, 2012 3:22 am

It seems to me that the expectations were reasonable, and Blizzard failed to deliver.

mrjonno wrote:How many hours of entertainment do you expect from a £40 game, 10 hours, 20 hours 200 hours?

It depends on the game. God of War 3 was about 6 hours for me, and it was worth every cent. I'm glad I didn't spend anything on D3.

mrjonno wrote:To me 20 hours of entertainment £2 per hour is reasonable, if you have played more than 20 hours you have got value for money.

It isn't quite that simple.

mrjonno wrote:It takes that at least to even get to inferno.

Except that in ARPGs end-game (Inferno) is where a lot of the game should be, and everything I've read suggests it's broken, from the player's POV at least. For Blizzard it's working as intended (RMAH).
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#300  Postby mrjonno » Aug 05, 2012 11:17 am

'End game' is a subscription MMORPG concept it doesnt really apply to a buy /pay once game. It's completely unrealistic to buy such a computer game and still expect to be playing it 3 months later. You get a few games like that but they arent what pay people wages. If anything if you sell a game for £40 and people are still playing it the next year you are putting your business at risk.

Personally I think the concept of non-subscription computer games doesnt have much of a future, its going to be computer games as service, monthly payment
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games