Disney Gives EA Exclusive Rights to Star Wars Games

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Disney Gives EA Exclusive Rights to Star Wars Games

#1  Postby mraltair » May 07, 2013 11:04 am

Electronic Arts will be the only publisher creating Star Wars games for a “core gaming audience,” according to today’s press release. Electronic Arts said that its in-house game teams DICE (Battlefield) and Visceral (Dead Space) will work on Star Wars titles, in addition to BioWare, the team behind EA’s existing Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.

Meanwhile, Disney will “retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.”

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/electronic-arts-star-wars/

EA? Really? FFS.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Disney Gives EA Exclusive Rights to Star Wars Games

#2  Postby Matt8819 » May 07, 2013 11:09 am

Oh ffs, why in hell did it have to be EA? I don't want to see Simcity: Tatooine come out as DLC, and Battlefield: Endor can go fuck itself.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Wiðercora » May 07, 2013 11:10 am

:picard:

Wait, I have an amusing picture of an owl giving an implied face palm for just such an occasion:

OwlPalm.jpg
OwlPalm.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » May 07, 2013 11:14 am

Good. They might make a decent Star Wars game after all the tripe that has been out of recent.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mraltair » May 07, 2013 11:38 am

Animavore wrote:Good. They might make a decent Star Wars game after all the tripe that has been out of recent.

I agree. They will release some great games, but online elements will crash often, you'll be able to buy your way to success in any multiplayer and they'll drip feed DLC for a year until we have a complete game.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mraltair » May 07, 2013 11:39 am

Matt8819 wrote:Oh ffs, why in hell did it have to be EA? I don't want to see Simcity: Tatooine come out as DLC, and Battlefield: Endor can go fuck itself.

Actually, 'Battlefield: Endor' sounds pretty good.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » May 07, 2013 11:45 am

mraltair wrote:
Matt8819 wrote:Oh ffs, why in hell did it have to be EA? I don't want to see Simcity: Tatooine come out as DLC, and Battlefield: Endor can go fuck itself.

I agree.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thommo » May 07, 2013 11:54 am

mraltair wrote:

I like the idea of Grand Theft Auto: Endor - score points by running ewoks down in a landspeeder and setting up a wookie prostitution ring. Pimp out the Millenium Falcon with pneumatic suspension for drivebys.

Just need EA to buy out rockstar and my dream is one step closer.
Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby Jumbo » May 08, 2013 8:22 am

I guess EA is one of the few big names it was liable to go to. I can't remember the last great EA game though so i won't hold my breath for X-Wing or TIE Fighter to come back anytime soon.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130508
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby LucidFlight » May 08, 2013 8:27 am

EA?

OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby aban57 » May 08, 2013 9:51 am

Thommo wrote:
mraltair wrote:

I like the idea of Grand Theft Auto: Endor - score points by running ewoks down in a landspeeder and setting up a wookie prostitution ring. Pimp out the Millenium Falcon with pneumatic suspension for drivebys.

Just need EA to buy out rockstar and my dream is one step closer.

A few years ago, LucasArts proposed to develop a Star Wars game in an open world, but EA refused.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thommo » May 08, 2013 10:07 am

aban57 wrote:A few years ago, LucasArts proposed to develop a Star Wars game in an open world, but EA refused.

Maybe it didn't have enough Ewok killing?
Thommo

Print view this post

#13  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 08, 2013 10:59 am

LucidFlight wrote:EA?

:this:

After what they did to Mass Effect and DA 2. :yuk:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby willhud9 » May 17, 2013 4:40 am

EA only published those two games Thomas. Bioware created them.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 17, 2013 7:05 am

willhud9 wrote:EA only published those two games Thomas. Bioware created them.

And you think EA being the producer had nothing to do with their end result, especially in the sense of time-tables and target audience?
I mean I don't know if you've played them but ME 3 and DA 2 differ vastly from their predecessors.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby DarthHelmet86 » May 17, 2013 7:26 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

And you think EA being the producer had nothing to do with their end result, especially in the sense of time-tables and target audience?
I mean I don't know if you've played them but ME 3 and DA 2 differ vastly from their predecessors.

And people at Bioware were the people to do that, with members of the team expressing why they changed the gameplay and if I remember right one of the Bioware team mentioning that they (the person) didn't really like RPGs at all and fans going nuts over it. ME3 is actually an attempt to lure some fans back after ME2 lost some of the more RPG fans from ME1. Blaming EA on nothing but the idea that they published the game is a bit silly, we know that Bioware sometimes fucks up and that sometimes they make changes to their games.

EA is the big bad boy on the block, people like giving EA the kicking it deserves for its shitty and shady business practices but that does not mean that EA is to blame for all things wrong with gaming. No sometimes we have to accept that a studio that can produce ME1 and can also produce ME2 and 3 and have no one but themselves to blame.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Wiðercora » May 17, 2013 7:38 am

I liked the gameplay mechanics of ME3. I think it they got the cross between RPG and 3PS better.

It's not so much the quality of the games, but look at the fiasco over the launch of the new SimCity game, for example, and the always-on DRM.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby DarthHelmet86 » May 17, 2013 7:44 am

Yep EA does dickish and stupid things, but we shouldn't blame them for everything that happens. Sometimes they really are just the innocent bystander or approving father to the actual bad guys.

Also Ubisoft started that whole always online DRM and don't get half the fucking blame they should and now people are saying they are great cause they said they would stop using it. To me Ubisoft is the real bad guy around when it comes to screwing over buyers, EA might kill off beloved franchises or strip mine the talent out of smaller companies then kill them but Ubisoft is still far worse in my mind they are just sneakier about ruining shit.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 17, 2013 8:23 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

And people at Bioware were the people to do that, with members of the team expressing why they changed the gameplay and if I remember right one of the Bioware team mentioning that they (the person) didn't really like RPGs at all and fans going nuts over it.

I find it highly suspicious that Bioware's games changed so drastically, right after EA took over.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby mraltair » May 17, 2013 11:47 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Yep EA does dickish and stupid things, but we shouldn't blame them for everything that happens. Sometimes they really are just the innocent bystander or approving father to the actual bad guys.

Also Ubisoft started that whole always online DRM and don't get half the fucking blame they should and now people are saying they are great cause they said they would stop using it. To me Ubisoft is the real bad guy around when it comes to screwing over buyers, EA might kill off beloved franchises or strip mine the talent out of smaller companies then kill them but Ubisoft is still far worse in my mind they are just sneakier about ruining shit.

I can't remember having an issue with Ubisoft. I have a terrible memory so I've probably got pissed off with U-Play at least once. But Origin is the devil's phlegm. And Microsoft are up there with EA regarding annoying software. It took me 30 min, 5 log-ins, and three updates before I could start playing a game of The Lost and Dammed that I could save. In that time I lost the urge to play and ended up playing Portal instead which took 3 min to walk through my first Portal.

I do agree EA get stick for things they didn't do but they're unapologetic about putting profit above customer experience so deserve an extra kick up the arse now and again so they remember we are still here.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games