Do not buy Aliens: Colonial Marines

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Do not buy Aliens: Colonial Marines

#1  Postby Rome Existed » Feb 15, 2013 1:57 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGX2WE4QUw8[/youtube]

Good review. Angry Joe rocks.

The game is a major disappointment. I bet come NYE Aliens: Colonial Marines will be the biggest disappointment of 2013. I had such high hopes for the game that I preordered it. :waah:
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Do not buy Aliens: Colonial Marines

#2  Postby Rome Existed » Feb 15, 2013 2:11 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1orK2qj_9k[/youtube]

Wow, looks like they literally spent the last few months fucking the game up on purpose.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Bribase » Feb 15, 2013 2:20 am

I just found out about this via The Jimquisition. I kind of smelled a rat when they released that horrible trailer with the monologue written either by 12 year olds, for 12 year olds or both.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUAT2FXs7ag[/youtube]
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Reeve » Feb 15, 2013 2:30 am

:o Someone else on RatSkep watches the Jimquisition!!?

THANK GOD FOR JIM :bowdown:
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Feb 15, 2013 8:52 am

No time to watch now. Will watch when I get home. I had more hope for this game than Hadley but now it seems they are dashed against the rocks.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mattthomas » Feb 15, 2013 9:37 am

I generally don't listen to hardcore game reviewers for the same reason I don't listen to hardcore movie reviewers, they always seem to have some gold standard idolised version of what will interest them because they've played/seen everything going so everything is just so damn passé.

I'll watch some gameplay trailers on youtube, if it looks good I'll try it and see for myself.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#7  Postby Wiðercora » Feb 15, 2013 9:50 am

Saving this for later - if there's anything I love watching, it's watching someone hate.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2013 11:15 am

To bad, really looked like a FPS I could enjoy, because I like the universe.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Bribase » Feb 15, 2013 11:26 am

Wiðercora wrote:Saving this for later - if there's anything I love watching, it's watching someone hate.

Everybody likes a bit of schadenfreude. But I hate it if the devs had a genuine vision of the game that was severly hampered by budget limitations, bad organisation or rushes to make a deadline. It looks to me like parts of the game really do seem like the aliens game many hoped for, the sound design and extended landscape look like perfect matches to the Aliens film. The retconning? No. Just no.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this turned out so poorly?
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby DoctorE » Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am

I'm so glad I didn't pre-order... HAHA
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Reeve » Feb 15, 2013 12:20 pm

http://www.destructoid.com/so-who-the-h ... 4939.phtml

Anyone who wants to know why the game was a disaster read :this: article.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Varangian » Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Ugh, that looked bad. Talk about false advertising.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Reeve wrote:http://www.destructoid.com/so-who-the-hell-did-make-aliens-colonial-marines--244939.phtml

Anyone who wants to know why the game was a disaster read :this: article.

Based on rumour and anonymous posts, but it does sound very possible. I suspect that Gearbox didn't really want to touch the Aliens game but wanted the money, or they at first wanted to make the game but after trouble of one sort or another decided it would just be easier to farm it out. Sadly they farmed it out poorly, either to a poor company or with poor oversight perhaps both and ran out of time and patience from SEGA who had been very early to hype up their new IP.

As far as I am concerned blame lays all around here, Gearbox shouldn't have farmed it out or should have said they no longer wanted to make the game and coughed the cash back up (they certanly have it after the Borderlands 2 success). The companies it was farmed to made a poor quality shite game with bugs in it, no matter how much or little oversight they had that sticks with them. And SEGA should have paid some damn attention to what was being done, even if only at the end when they had set the final release date actually looking at the game and seeing it needed more time, possibly forcing Gearbox to pay them back some money or taking it off them all together.

A clusterfuck of game design and publishing, with companies trying to please each other and investors but not really paying attention to what they were doing with the game. Sad.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby dalv8409 » Feb 15, 2013 1:17 pm

I know I will get hated for this but I like the game, yes it has many flaws thanks to Gearboxes endless delays and going back to the drawing board but it is not the worst game in the world. I explained in the 'video games you are playing' thread that I never pay attention to critics whether they give positive or negative reviews and the same from people who write reviews themselves since the internet has turned everyone into a critic. It seems to me that the majority of people who were disappointed in the game tends to be hardcore fans of the Alien franchise who had high hopes for the game and deliberately compare it to the film (comparing a video game to a film it's based on is in my opinion completely stupid) as they play it. At the end of the day all fans have an idea on what a Aliens game should be, me personally I would like a Resident Evil style Aliens game and maybe a third person game which like the AvP games you can play as an Alien (though I don't see that selling well no matter how good the game may be).

It is sad to see the people who hate this game insulting the people and critics who did give it a mixed to positive review even though those people do admit the flaws, after all the internet has turned people into dicks simply cause they have no balls to do it in person. I mean has there been a game that all critics and gamers loved? No. Has there been a game that all critics and gamers hated? Nope. Should there be another Aliens game in the future I think the people who looked forward to this game should learn their lesson and that is no matter how good the game looks by the demos and trailers they should not have much hope for it there for they won't be disappointed much, either that or they should get into the video game industry and make a game themselves unless they are afraid that their game may have the same mixed to negative reception.

Perhaps they should quit making Aliens games that are only first person video games and instead make a third person aliens game instead (or at least make a first person to third person option in the games) and also they should quit spending so much on the multiplayer aspect. Not everyone plays online and I rather play with friends in the same room rather then strangers hundreds of miles away and get death threats simply cause I beat them. Funny enough there was a third person Aliens game that was in development but Sega cancelled it for no reason at all, shame really but it shows that video game companies should never announce games and end up cancelling them.

I think I know why people hated the game.

1. The graphics
Sure when compared to the demos the graphics seems awfully downgraded but if not compared they are pretty good but not as good as they should be giving the six plus years in development.

2. The Story
The story itself is pretty good but it did seem to be too short and also they tied it into Prometheus even though there wasn't much to it and they added something new to the Alien lifecycle which I think it pretty good and if you don't want to read this Hicks is still alive even though he supposedly died in Alien 3 and they don't fully explain it only that it was someone else in the cryotube but considering the face was crushed in the impact that could be an easy way out

3. The multiplayer
As I said I'm not into multiplayer so I don't give a toss that people hate that though I understand their frustration

4. The controls
The controls at least on the PS3 anyway are the same as AvP2010 so apart from you have to play L2 to look at the motion tracker they could at least have done something different

5. The Aliens
The aliens were not based on the ones from Aliens but more in the line with the aliens from Alien Resurrection up to Aliens vs Predator Requiem which had four fingers instead of three fingers. Obviously they designed the four finger aliens to make it easier for the actors to wear but this is a video game after all so they should have been like the ones from the movie. Mind you the new aliens they designed for this game were pretty cool I thought.
Last edited by dalv8409 on Feb 15, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Reeve » Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: Did you preorder Colonial Marines, dalv8409? :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y[/youtube]

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Rome Existed » Feb 15, 2013 1:24 pm

I want aliens that don't slowly walk towards me while giving me plenty of time to kill them. I want to be rushed, have them sneak up on me, etc. Like the xenos from the movies.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm

It seems to me that Gearbox had a idea and maybe some content for the game all ready to go, with a mocked up demo to help sell the game, before they worked out Borderlands 2 would take all of their team. Then they farmed it out and the companies it was farmed out to either cut content or just couldn't get the made content to match what was already made at all. Leaving Gearbox with no time and a game that no longer looked like or played like the one they had farmed out and SEGA breathing down their necks demanding the game goes out now or else. Perhaps the game they got back was, as has been suggested, almost complete but the better graphics and cut gameplay mechanics just weren't working right so they had to do what they could as fast as they could. It seems boss battles weren't finished yet at that point, which explains why people are saying they were basic they had to get something in there for boss battles and it had to be in there now.

As I said, sad. Sad that Gearbox sat on the game for so long, sad that SEGA pushed it out knowing it wasn't right or without checking to make sure it was right and sad that people aren't owning the blame like they should be. But what else do you expect from the gaming industry.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby dalv8409 » Feb 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Reeve wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Did you preorder Colonial Marines, dalv8409? :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y[/youtube]

Did I preorder it? Nope. Don't see the point preordering games but the guy behind me did and I wonder how he feels about the game? :lol: When I was talking to him he had so much high hopes for this game.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Weaver » Feb 15, 2013 5:03 pm

I read the topic title as "Colonial Marines say: Do not buy Aliens".

Sort of like "Guy in weird shop says do not water Gremlins."
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Strontium Dog » Feb 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games