Do you still buy games at full price?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Do you still buy games at full price?

#21  Postby Sendraks » Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm

I think HD is ok, but you're quite right that it doesn't have the feel that 2097 had.

I wasn't a fan of the first game at all and I'm amazed it was a title that helped make the PS1 sell.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 17, 2014 3:51 pm

hackenslash wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Wipeout 2097. Still the best game ever, IMO.

Didn't even pay full price for that initially. I had one of those chipped PS1s that had to be leant at an ever steeper angle as time went on to play games.

I have a newer version of that, Wipeout HD. I REALLY suck at it. Guess I'll stick to F Zero :?

I don't like Wipeout HD. None of the Wipeout games after 2097 had the feel of that or the first game. Actually, the first game was really difficult because it was extremely unforgiving of contact with the armco. In 2097, you could glide along the armco as long as the contact was minimal, and you didn't lose much speed as a result. In the first game, you stopped dead as soon as you touched the barrier.

Sounds like a PITA! I'll definitely check out 2097, looks like it was on PS so I should be able to scrounge a copy.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby tuco » Sep 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Half of PC gamers wait for sales to buy - Survey

NPD Group finds 37% of US plays PC games, but cautions price drops have created expectations that could limit spending

Steam sales and pay-what-you-want bundles have helped make PC gaming more affordable for players in recent years, but they might also be stifling revenues in the market, according to a new report from the industry-tracking NPD Group.

The Understanding PC Gaming 2014 report, based on a June survey of 6,225 individuals in the US ages 9 and older, found that 46 percent of PC gamers have bought titles digitally in the last year. Additionally, those who download their games are "far less likely" to pay full price than those buying physical copies. The NPD Group said half of all PC gamers now make a habit of waiting for price drops before they'll buy a title.

[snip]

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... buy-survey

---
Report: https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/n ... -pc-games/
---

edit: content moved to: Misogyny and video game culture - http://www.rationalskepticism.org/video ... 32610.html
tuco

Print view this post

#24  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 27, 2014 7:46 am

I pretty much don't care what the price is so long as I am going to get entertainment value for my money.

If I spend a hundred hours enjoying the game, then even full price is absurdly cheap.

However, something glorious has just occurred. Steam now prices in baht.... and the prices are set to compete with Thai market prices. Literally overnight as they made the change, prices dropped by 40 - 80%

The upcoming Civilization game (forgotten the name) went from $44.99 or $49.99 (can't remember which) to THB 899 from one day to the next - that's around $28!

/happy Thailand-living, game-playing bunny.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby purplerat » Oct 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Spearthrower wrote:I pretty much don't care what the price is so long as I am going to get entertainment value for my money.

If I spend a hundred hours enjoying the game, then even full price is absurdly cheap.

Same here. I read an article not to long ago about how people who buy experiences rather than objects tend to be more satisfied with there purchase. This was specific to video games but could also apply anywhere. I absolutely agree with that when it comes to games. When I buy a game I'm only considering how much entertainment I will get for my money. And considering the cost of many other types of entertainment I really only have to get a few hours out of a game for it to be worth it, even at full price. Additional since I have a teen age son who plays games as well even if I don't like a game but he spends a few hours playing it's still worth it to me. As a result I really can't think of the last time I bought a game so bad I really felt any angst over how much I'd spent on it. I suspect those who do get worked up over how much games costs are people who view it not as paying for an entertainment experience but rather as purchase a piece of property to own. I can imagine one would have a tough time going about buying games that way and finding much satisfaction in their purchases.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby electricwhiteboy » Oct 09, 2014 10:42 am

purplerat wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I pretty much don't care what the price is so long as I am going to get entertainment value for my money.

Same here. I read an article not to long ago about how people who buy experiences rather than objects tend to be more satisfied with there purchase. This was specific to video games but could also apply anywhere. I absolutely agree with that when it comes to games. When I buy a game I'm only considering how much entertainment I will get for my money. And considering the cost of many other types of entertainment I really only have to get a few hours out of a game for it to be worth it, even at full price. Additional since I have a teen age son who plays games as well even if I don't like a game but he spends a few hours playing it's still worth it to me. As a result I really can't think of the last time I bought a game so bad I really felt any angst over how much I'd spent on it. I suspect those who do get worked up over how much games costs are people who view it not as paying for an entertainment experience but rather as purchase a piece of property to own. I can imagine one would have a tough time going about buying games that way and finding much satisfaction in their purchases.

The only time games seem too expensive is when you've already completed the one you bought that month, your other games are starting to feel a bit stale everything you want to play is still at full price. There are four games I want to play in the next 2 months, which would be a wopping £240. That would be the equivilent of watching 30 films in the cinema, or going out on a bender every fortnight. A new game every two weeks doesn't seem so crazy in comparison, but maybe, just maybe you should put down the joypad every once in a while.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games