Do you still buy games at full price?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Do you still buy games at full price?

#1  Postby Mazille » Mar 21, 2014 11:34 pm

Just asking. In the age of Humble Bundles, Steam Sales and Playstation +, when was the last time you paid full price for a game?

Me, I can't even remember. Battlefield BC2, probably, and that was a one off because I was very much in love with BF 1942 and BF 2142. Other than that... :dunno:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Do you still buy games at full price?

#2  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 21, 2014 11:50 pm

not a clue....do a lot of trading on the internet which means i'm constantly recycling initial purchases from about four years ago....works very well for me....

so, yes, probably about four or five years
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby hackenslash » Mar 22, 2014 12:06 am

Wipeout 2097. Still the best game ever, IMO.

Didn't even pay full price for that initially. I had one of those chipped PS1s that had to be leant at an ever steeper angle as time went on to play games.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 22, 2014 2:47 am

Sure, though it's been a little bit because I don't play new games much these days. Last few:

Shin Megami Tensei 4
Ni No Kune
Sly Cooper Collection

I also don't really buy new games virtually -- they cost as much as the real thing, download takes longer than a walk to the store, and I don't have tons of spare HD space.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 22, 2014 2:50 am

Oh, I did buy a virtual copy of Metal Gear Solid 3 recently, though that was only because I wanted the 8 bit games that were bundled with it :dopey:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 22, 2014 3:51 am

Last game I paid full price for, was an F-15 simulator for the Commodore Amiga back in the 1980s.

When I decided I wanted Comanche Gold 3 for my desktop PC, I found it on sale as part of a reduced price bundle in my local Morrisons supermarket. I think that was the last game I actually paid money for, because it was the only game worth paying money for. Haven't found anything else since I actually want to pay for.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 22, 2014 4:03 am

hackenslash wrote:Wipeout 2097. Still the best game ever, IMO.

Didn't even pay full price for that initially. I had one of those chipped PS1s that had to be leant at an ever steeper angle as time went on to play games.

I have a newer version of that, Wipeout HD. I REALLY suck at it. Guess I'll stick to F Zero :?
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Sovereign » Mar 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Been awhile. I no longer buy games as they come out but rent or wait until they're discounted a bit.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » Mar 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes on regular basis as for new releases there are usually no discounts or when I want something and do not want to wait for discount. Last time? 3 weeks ago XCOM Enemy Within from Steam (went on sale 1 week after I bought it). Next time: Dark Souls 2 on 25th.
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby Strontium Dog » Mar 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Don't think I have bought something fresh out since GTAIV. Before that it was BioShock, because I promised them I'd buy the collector's edition if they released one. Next one will probably be GTAV. There's not that much I'm desperate to play straight away. I'd be all over a new Deus Ex or Thief, if they were any good. Probably another Half-Life or Elder Scrolls installment too.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Mar 22, 2014 5:43 pm

In the last two weeks, Dark Souls 2 and InFamous: Second Son.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby thirsting » Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm

I pay full price only for games that I know beforehand they can not be too big a disappointment and in which I will pour endless hours of game time. Like Skyrim, Diablo III, Civ V. I've bought full-priced DLCs or Expansions for all three of them as well, DIII's Reaper of Souls as the latest money sink...

And then, for games like Banished, which I want to pay the developer for striving for something which I can respect, even if the end result might not be quite perfect.
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 24, 2014 10:12 am

Last game I paid full price is Skyrim, the latest Elder Scrolls.
I am not going to pay full price for games, at least for the moment. With all the sales and especially on Steam, I don't see why I should spend so much money for the initial release.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby purplerat » Mar 25, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm at a point in my life where if I want to play a game I'll buy it regardless of whether it's full price or on sale. I'm not going to deprive myself of entertainment I can afford to save what usually ends up amounting to a few cents or less per day that I have to wait.
Ironically I find myself feeling like I waste far more money buying games simply because they are on sale and it seems like a good deal even though I'm not terribly interested in the game than I do from buying games I really want at full price.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Vipera Berus » Mar 26, 2014 12:08 am

Last game I paid full price for was the elder scrolls 4. Which I ended up barely playing and I got it when it first came out none since then.
Vipera Berus

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Ironclad » Mar 26, 2014 8:30 am

Calilasseia wrote:Last game I paid full price for, was an F-15 simulator for the Commodore Amiga back in the 1980s.

That's a dedicated gamer, right there. :dopey:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#17  Postby DoctorE » Mar 26, 2014 9:04 am

Mostly not.., but sometimes I can't wait, even go for early access :Þ
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#18  Postby electricwhiteboy » Apr 17, 2014 2:16 pm

I am a master of buying games the nanosecond they fall below £25. A few choice game series I will pay full price for, Elder Scrolls, the next Witcher game, Dark Souls 2 probably next month. There were others, but frankly many of my favourites have fallen so far in my estimations I would be unlikely to fork out any more than I have to.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#19  Postby Sendraks » Apr 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Last thing I bought full price was Diablo III, RoS: collectors edition. Purely because I had the D3 collectors edition and despite my crushing disappointment with that game at release, they've finally turned it into something playable after 2 years.

Otherwise I don't usually bother. I pick stuff up when its on offer or otherwise reduced in price months after release.

I also concur with Hack that Wipeout 2097 is one of the greatest games ever. Didn't pay full price for that.

I did pay full price for Bioshock when it launched, under the belief that it would be as every bit an engaging experience as System Shock 2 (which I didn't pay for at all) was. Boy was I disappointed.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby hackenslash » Apr 17, 2014 2:34 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Wipeout 2097. Still the best game ever, IMO.

I have a newer version of that, Wipeout HD. I REALLY suck at it. Guess I'll stick to F Zero :?

I don't like Wipeout HD. None of the Wipeout games after 2097 had the feel of that or the first game. Actually, the first game was really difficult because it was extremely unforgiving of contact with the armco. In 2097, you could glide along the armco as long as the contact was minimal, and you didn't lose much speed as a result. In the first game, you stopped dead as soon as you touched the barrier.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games