Europa Universalis 3

Divine Wind

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Europa Universalis 3

#301  Postby Shagz » Jul 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Playing in Byzantium can be fun, sometimes. Let us know how your game goes!
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#302  Postby Mazille » Jul 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Mazille wrote:With your dynasty's colour, but yes, that's a basic goal you can go after.

I'd really like to play through as Byzantium, form Rome, then export it into EUIV.

Since you're playing a dynasty, you might even start as one of the emperor's lords and work your way up to emperor before you start forming Rome.

Since we're talking CK2 for a bit: I really enjoy it and the Old Gods expansion (haven't tried the SoA one yet), but god is it easy to blob out with that free pagan CB on neighbours.

I did a bit of co-op with my brother a couple of weeks back. I was vikingin' it up in Scandinavia, starting with a minor lord with only one province, while he went with the lord of Salzburg, I think. Something Austrian in the HRE anyway. In any case, we pretty much started with a similar power base.
With me going raiding, getting the bling and gobbling up neighbours like nobody's business, I had almost all of Scandinavia under my control, had an army that numbered in the tens of thousands and enough spare cash for a standing retinue within a generation, while he struggled along and got imprisoned for trying to murder the HR emperor's kids. Repeatedly.
Well, anyway, one lost war after another for him and since we both didn't have the necessary children for an alliance, I couldn't bring my savage armies to bear in his favour.

Until I figured out that you could sail your longboats down rivers too... And you could raid from there... Long story short, I smashed the HRE's armies from within, after having disembarked my pillaging hordes in Passau, so my imprisoned brother could pick up his neighbour's pieces. We did that for two or three hours, until I got bored of being his hitman and left him to his own devices. Turns out the HR emperor was one vindictive bastard...
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#303  Postby Shagz » Jul 07, 2014 2:54 am

Yeah, pagans do seem a bit overpowered, especially the Norse. They can conquer without a CB, and can raid for free ducats, which is extremely useful when you're small and broke. These advantages are supposed to be offset by gavelkind succession breaking up your empire, which doesn't seem to be that big a deal, really.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#304  Postby Matthew Shute » Aug 27, 2014 7:20 pm

I only discovered CKII a couple of months ago. I was a bit overwhelmed with it at first - there's a hefty amount to learn to be able to play the game well. Since, I've lost track of how many hours I've sunk into it, and I'm still learning things about how the game works.

With my latest playthrough, I started as the duke of Weligrad at the "Old Gods" start-date. My character's dynasty went onto form the Kingdom of Pomerania, then conquer a large emergent rival called Ruthenia, and eventually form a huge Wendish Empire. At that point I could reform Slavic paganism - to better withstand conversion at the hands of the Christians, and also to finally enable me to get rid of the annoying Gavelkind succession law, which has a nasty habit of ripping Kingdoms and Empires apart in this game. Now my biggest problem seems to be keeping various disgruntled vassals in line and preparing to crush the dangerous factions some of them have formed...

There's a lot of depth and complexity to the game, and it also has a sense of humour. I'm enjoying it a lot.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games