Europa Universalis 3

Divine Wind

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Europa Universalis 3

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2012 1:13 pm

I saw that a couple of people are playing this game, and as it's been my game of the year, I thought I'd start a thread on it!

How many people play? There's good possibilities here for a team game!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Europa Universalis 3

#2  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 29, 2012 1:20 pm

I just got it. I've played it a few times, still learning but enjoying it.

I'm confused by the technology advancement. Even if I put the slider for one tech on full it takes ages to get to. Also colonisation is something that I don't get. How do you explore the unmapped parts of the world?
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 29, 2012 1:37 pm

MacIver wrote:I just got it. I've played it a few times, still learning but enjoying it.

I'm confused by the technology advancement. Even if I put the slider for one tech on full it takes ages to get to. Also colonisation is something that I don't get. How do you explore the unmapped parts of the world?

Tech is slow early on. It gets a lot faster later on in the game when you can start building manufactuaries and you get better leader bonuses.

As for colonisation, you need the Quest for the New World National Idea (for which you need trade level 7). This allows you to hire Conquistadors (for exploring unknown land provinces) and Explorers (for exploring unknown sea provinces) and increases your colonial range by 50pc. Conquistadors and Explorers cost 50 ducats and use up army and navy tradition respectively, just like Generals and Admirals. You'll also need to increase your Naval Tech to increase your colonial range.

Then, assign an Explorer to a ship in the same way you would an Admiral and float on over to the coast of the New World. Try to aim for the Florida peninsula, you'll see why shortly. Once you've discovered the coast of North America you need to construct a transport ship and an army. Assign a Conquistador to the army and put them in the transport ship, then float them over the New World. You should be able to land your army in the yellow area.

If you landed around Florida ways, the Cherokee, Creek and Shawnee tribes should all have nations here. Because they're pagan nations, you can just march into their provinces and click 'Seize Colony' in the little box that comes up on the left handside when you click on your army. Quickly build a fort so they have to lay seige to it to reclaim it, instead of just marching in. You can basically do this with all the Native American tribes - Creek, Cherokee, Shawnee, Iroquois, Huron, Aztec and Inca. You'll have a hell of a time keeping the revolts down, though, and you won't be able to recruit European regiments until they become a core province.

Try and grab the Azores, Madeira and the Canaries before Portugal and Castille, if you'd rather not have competition.

I have the game too, btw.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2012 2:16 pm

MacIver wrote:I just got it. I've played it a few times, still learning but enjoying it.

You have to take the national idea 'Quest for the New World'.

Then you hire a conquistador (for land exploration) and an explorer (for sea exploration), assign the explorer to a ship (preferably a carrack in the early game) and click a fogged out section to send him to explore. At first, keep your explorer close to shore as it takes a LONG time to explore a location and your boat might sink from attrition. Once you've found a coast you want to explore, take 3000 troops lead by your conquistador and send them over with 3 cogs to explore the land.

When you find a province you want to settle - if your colonisation range is sufficient - the best thing to do first is kill all the natives. Pleasant game. Then you select the province and click the send colonist button. If successful, you get 100 colonists there. You need 1000 to make it turn into a proper colony.

For tech advancement, it's very dependent on the size of your nation, and of course, your tech group. Western is the fastest tech - if you're an african nation you will take 50 years to research a tech! Generally, you can see that the one province minors in northern europe will have the highest tech. Eventually, you will start to catch up as your larger lands' production score starts to rack up in the later game. However, none of those hi-tech countries will ever pose a threat. If they expand, their tech will slow down.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Should've read Wildercora's post first as I just repeated it! :D

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 29, 2012 2:25 pm

I forgot to mention tech-group and nation size.

The EUIII wiki article on Tech Groups. Basically, West is Best. But the West has really really shit cavalry until about land tech 23 or so when Cavacole Cavalry becomes available.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Wiðercora wrote:I forgot to mention tech-group and nation size.

The EUIII wiki article on Tech Groups. Basically, West is Best. But the West has really really shit cavalry until about land tech 23 or so when Cavacole Cavalry becomes available.

Yeah - I've got a Manchu game where, planning to Westernize, I popped round and snatched Naxos quite early in the game. Having finally gone through the nasty process of Westernising from Chinese tech group, I found that the starting cavalry I had from Asia were still better than the tech level 20 or so cav I could make with western tech!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 29, 2012 3:35 pm

I've never played an Asian nation. The 40pc tech rate puts me off.

Anyway, I'm up for a team game I suppose. It would be nice to have nations that aren't limited to three alliances.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Wiðercora wrote:I've never played an Asian nation. The 40pc tech rate puts me off.

Anyway, I'm up for a team game I suppose. It would be nice to have nations that aren't limited to three alliances.

An interesting idea might be to share the save.

We play as one monarch of one nation. When that monarch dies, we pass the save to the next player in the list, and they get their reign.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Depends how many others take an interest.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for the help guys. A few extra questions.

Just played a few hours as Portugal. I succeeded in getting good relations with Castile and went to war with them against the nearby Islamic countries. Spain (sorry, Castile) went after Granada and I tried to invade Morocco. Meanwhile France and Castile went to war and our alliance drew me into that too. But I'd figured I'd be okay because France and her allies are a long way away. Anyway, here I was trying to invade Morocco... but what's the best way to annex a province? Do wait out the siege and hope the enemy doesn't turn up with a larger army or to attack it? I thought I remember something about breaching the wall in the tutorial, how do you do that?

And then I a get message saying I lost my most northern province to one of the French city states. I wasn't even aware they had landed an army on my territory! Did I miss the message telling me they had or do I just have to keep an eye out for it?

I think I'll try again and this time go for Gibraltar, leaving the more powerful Castile to take on Morocco.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Oh yeah, I just noticed you can save the game and go back and play any nation from that save point. Great idea!
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 29, 2012 5:25 pm

If you want a province from a nation, you have to first occupy the province. That means defeating any enemy forces that may be stationed there then beseiging the province whilst fending off any other armies which my try to oust you. After a few hundred days the province will fall. On the political mapmode the province will have diagonal stripes the same colour as your nation. There'll be a pop-up informing you that you've won the seige and how long they lasted. Then you need to sue the province owner for peace and demand the province in the deal. You'll rack up a ton of infamy unless you have the Conquest or Reconquest Casus Belli, though.

Breaching the walls is a random event. It means you can assault the fort which isn't worth doing unless you vastly outnumber the defenders because you will take heavy losses.

You can change the message settings from the Menu. It's under the Combat tab, I think.

Don't fuck with France. Ever.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Shagz » Apr 30, 2012 4:28 am

I might be willing to play some EU3.
Portugal is one of the easiest nations to play, yet still fun. Just stay on Castille/Spain's good side so they don't crush you, build a vast colonial empire in the Americas, and concentrate on trade tech and dominate all the profitable markets.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2012 5:53 am

MacIver wrote:Thanks for the help guys. A few extra questions.

Just played a few hours as Portugal. I succeeded in getting good relations with Castile and went to war with them against the nearby Islamic countries. Spain (sorry, Castile) went after Granada and I tried to invade Morocco. Meanwhile France and Castile went to war and our alliance drew me into that too. But I'd figured I'd be okay because France and her allies are a long way away. Anyway, here I was trying to invade Morocco... but what's the best way to annex a province? Do wait out the siege and hope the enemy doesn't turn up with a larger army or to attack it? I thought I remember something about breaching the wall in the tutorial, how do you do that?

And then I a get message saying I lost my most northern province to one of the French city states. I wasn't even aware they had landed an army on my territory! Did I miss the message telling me they had or do I just have to keep an eye out for it?

I think I'll try again and this time go for Gibraltar, leaving the more powerful Castile to take on Morocco.

When you siege a province, it generally takes months - bear in mind that infantry (and artillery later) are the best things to siege with - cavalry are useless. You just wait out the siege - although you can assault to speed it up, but only do it if you have 10x the number - also remember that it will hurt your morale, so don't do it if an enemy army is nearby and able to attack you. Generally, an assault will go better once the wall is breached. It's usually best just to wait though.

The best strategy is to have 2 armies. One is your stack to kill their armies, the other consists of just infantry. When you go to war, your killer stack's job is to find their army and fight it, and fight it again and again until it's destroyed. Meanwhile, you split up your army of infantry and leave 1 or 2 regiments in each province to siege. Eventually, you will have killed their army, and have troops sieging each province - if they build a unit in that province, it will immediately attack and be defeated by the infantry you left standing there sieging.

With messages - you need to set your game up first. This is quite annoying. Basically, you have to look at the event bar at the bottom of the screen. When it gives a message that you are under attack, right click that line on the message box and it will bring up some options as to how it should notify you. Personally, I make it popup and pause the game when I am under attack, so I can press the Goto button to find out what's going on. You can customise these popup preferences for every message - it really is essential to knowing what's going on while you are distracted doing something else.

My guess is that France slipped a couple of infantry onto your lands via boats. Still, it shouldn't be a problem - either Castille will come and fix the problem for you, or you can just ship some troops back and siege the province again.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2012 5:54 am

Shagz wrote:I might be willing to play some EU3.
Portugal is one of the easiest nations to play, yet still fun. Just stay on Castille/Spain's good side so they don't crush you, build a vast colonial empire in the Americas, and concentrate on trade tech and dominate all the profitable markets.

And then crush Castille!

Sorry, sorry... I am so antisocial in this game! Everything MUST BE CRUSHED! :grin:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Shagz » Apr 30, 2012 7:19 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Shagz wrote:I might be willing to play some EU3.

And then crush Castille!

Sorry, sorry... I am so antisocial in this game! Everything MUST BE CRUSHED! :grin:

Nothing antisocial about that -- this game is all about crushing the other countries. :naughty2:
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 30, 2012 8:55 am

I played a game last night as Portugal (went bankrupt in like five years for some reason - Portugal is hard) and watched as England somehow slowly disintegrated. Firstly Scotland conquered the North and part of the Midlands, then Friesland annexed East Anglia and Kent, then Gelre annexed Wessex, Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire, Tyrone united Ireland and then in the peace deal Wales and Cornwall seem to have been released as sovereign nations.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Wiðercora wrote:I played a game last night as Portugal (went bankrupt in like five years for some reason - Portugal is hard) and watched as England somehow slowly disintegrated. Firstly Scotland conquered the North and part of the Midlands, then Friesland annexed East Anglia and Kent, then Gelre annexed Wessex, Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire, Tyrone united Ireland and then in the peace deal Wales and Cornwall seem to have been released as sovereign nations.

I so rarely see England do well in this game.

In the France one I just recently kicked off (which is going obscenely well - 1450 something and I own all of France proper, bits of Savoy and the Netherlands... except a one province independent Nevers, and Avignon), Wales not only became independent, but then proceeded to conquer the rest of English territories. As Ireland has formed (something I'd never seen before) and they are Wales' ally, I decided to ally with them as well. When i went for my reconquest on Burgundy who was allied with Scotland, Wales snapped up most of Scotland too! Fascinating variation on the norm... and they've been a fantastic ally too!

Now, I am just sitting out 25 badboy, and hoping that I get a conquest CB or one of those ones where you press claims... preferably on Aragon! :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm

My favourite casus belli is Liberation. It's very useful in Europe, because the larger countries start gobbling up the smaller ones and you can DoW them, get them to release nations and vassals and suddenly you have a ton of allies.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games