Fallout 4

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Fallout 4

#41  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Nov 15, 2015 9:43 am

That is a pretty clever idea. I did notice that if you look at a settler set to food the crops they are looking after will also be marked. Of course you have to be able to see both the settler and the job at the same time for that to work.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 16, 2015 6:33 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:One of peoples complaints about 3 was that it didn't push you to the main storyline once you left the vualt. I think that is the reason Concord and Dogmeat are right there to try and give people a push along the main line. I ignored it cause who I wanted the fat lewts.

I see the logic of having an anchor event at the start before you are let loose... but a Deathclaw? I remember the first time I saw one in 3, organically out in the Wasteland. One of the scariest and unique moments of my gaming life. :)

Just wait till you see...

Yeah, that's a new moment I'll never forget. My little gripe aside I am fucking loving this game. Still haven't gone further in the main quest. Just wandering at random, occasionally doing side-quests and returning to Sanctuary once in a while to deposit loot.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#43  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 17, 2015 12:15 am

Thommo wrote:
I've resorted to building a clothing store and handing out distinctive uniforms to settlers doing key jobs to avoid further hassle.

That's amazing :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Thommo » Nov 17, 2015 1:27 am

On a related note I found a really cool post on Reddit yesterday with a bunch of tips someone gathered from the community:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3 ... ould_know/

As you can see I'm not the only one to come up with that one.

Some other highlights that are REALLY useful:-
- Fusion core value doesn't deteriorate, you can sell any with low charge for full value and buy a new one (barely lose any caps if you have good charisma and 2 ranks in the first charisma trading talent) to get way more bang for your buck!
-Codsworth can wear a bowler hat! Some other companions can also be given armor and stuff, including dogmeat for a few limited items.
-You can craft oil and adhesive from special utility recipes, which are both easy and valuable. Especially adhesive if you set up a farm to grow carrots, mutfruits and corn.
-Stats from drugs and armor stack from different sources and you get the benefit past 10 points - Just for a laugh I tried bartering with 24 charisma (it seems you only get the bonus up to 20 though).
-On the same point I always carry a charisma gear set (2cha dress, or 3 if you get the special one, cha hat and cha glasses, it may also be possible to get cha on legendary arm armors that you can equip with a dress too) to get better prices and it could be used to pass speech checks. You could do the same with other stats like int or luck for passing skill checks or getting xp boosts when handing in quests that are valuable or building a lot of stuff in town.

And the ones I'd missed that are on there:-
-You can pickpocket the power core to make an enemy leave their power armor, you can then steal the power armor frame! :rofl:
-You can click [],(), <>,and {} with anything in between the brackets when hacking to get special bonuses that make hacking easier!
-You can hold down the "place item" button and scroll around to raise and lower items.
-Placing an item on a small rug then picking up the rug allows you to clip the item into a wall or other scenery in a way you can't usually.
Thommo

Print view this post

#45  Postby Thommo » Nov 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Heh, just discovered some new X-01 power armor so I added a couple of mods and sold the old ones. Noticed that the headlamp (which you can craft as many of as you like) sells for 180 caps (so 150ish after vendor mark down) and needs like 1 aluminium 1 copper 1 steel or something pathetic to craft.
Thommo

Print view this post

#46  Postby Thommo » Dec 06, 2015 9:16 am

Pretty much done with FO4 by now, had a lot of fun with it, but definitely feel I ran out of steam before the end. Reading up about alternate endings has left me in an absolutely bemused state though with the number of people on forums arguing that the institute is "good" or "not that bad". I can't quite reconcile this with the abduction, murder, torture, slavery, possible genocide, forced human experimentation and fascist police state society.

I actually find it mildly worrying that people are defending them.
Thommo

Print view this post

#47  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Dec 07, 2015 2:38 am

Fallout has always brought that out in people. You will find people arguing that the Enclave are the good guys in Fallout 3 because Autumn wanted to start the water purifier and not poison everyone. Ignoring the fact that the Enclave are murderous fascists looking to use that water to force the wasteland to join or die.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Thommo » Dec 07, 2015 2:47 am

I just find it completely baffling. I mean, I get why you might have doubts about the other factions (especially the brotherhood of steel - although on a related note people keep describing them as racist for their attitude towards ghouls and mutants, which is pretty bizarre), but how does that somehow lead you to the conclusion that mass murder, abduction, human experimentation and so on is ok for even one second? These guys are literally running a Nazi eugenics programme complete with secret police enforcers in the game, but a few of them are polite to you, so they get a pass? It's frightening that people can be convinced.

You're right about the Enclave though, I'd somehow just blacked it out from memory.
Thommo

Print view this post

#49  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Dec 07, 2015 3:26 am

Welcome to Fallout fans? There are an odd bunch of people in the fandom, even from the start.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Thommo » Dec 07, 2015 4:08 am

I think you're right. Sometimes I find the internet quite depressing, maybe best to take some time away from it.
Thommo

Print view this post

#51  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Dec 07, 2015 6:14 am

I find it odd when people talk about New Vegas having a grey on grey moral option between NCR and Caesar. Its pretty fucking black on Caesar's side.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Thommo » Dec 07, 2015 6:21 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I find it odd when people talk about New Vegas having a grey on grey moral option between NCR and Caesar. Its pretty fucking black on Caesar's side.

Yeah, that one is bizarre too. They literally crucify women for transgressing their assigned gender roles and crucify whole towns for "immoral behaviour" and such things. Not to mention the stupidity of their fighting the NCR with spears and leather armor in the first place.

I am always sceptical of any argument that has to start with "I know they torture lots of people to death, but..."
Thommo

Print view this post

#53  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Dec 07, 2015 6:36 am

The Fallout fandom can be pretty toxic. I don't know if it is still like it but the No Mutants Allowed forum used to be pretty foul. With the freedom to be an evil douche in the games some people seem to have latched on to the series who have some horrible attitudes in real life as well.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Kaleid » Dec 23, 2015 12:18 am

Enjoying this immensely, but having trouble understanding weapon/armour mods - all online game guides make no sense. Do you have to 'learn' the different mods in some way? Or can you add any at a crafting bench as long as you have the required parts? :ask:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby purplerat » Dec 23, 2015 12:51 am

Kaleid wrote:Enjoying this immensely, but having trouble understanding weapon/armour mods - all online game guides make no sense. Do you have to 'learn' the different mods in some way? Or can you add any at a crafting bench as long as you have the required parts? :ask:

You know all the mods but you need a given perk rank (ie gunnut) before you can make them. Plus you need the required parts. Each mod tells you exactly what you need. Its so simply that its pretty easy to overthink it especially if you are coming from other rpgs with more complex systems.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Kaleid » Dec 23, 2015 2:12 am

Yeah, I think that was my problem with this. That, and I hadn't got any of the gun/armour perks. Thank you! :thumbup:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Thommo » Dec 23, 2015 2:18 am

Yeah, there should be icons to the right of the text box at the centre of the screen denoting the perks and ranks you need, which in turn are gated by level and SPECIAL stats. That said you can also remove a mod from an existing weapon of the same type, if you want to use a mod that you lack the perks to make yourself, I believe. This helps at lower levels or if you want to skimp on those perks for a while, so you can move a standard laser pistol/rifle mod to your unique Righteous Authority or whatever. That said the modding perks - science! (int 6), gun nut (int 3), armorer (str 3) and blacksmith (str 4) are some of the most useful in game. You can drop gun nut if you're a melee char or blacksmith if you're a ranged char though.
Thommo

Print view this post

#58  Postby Uberuce » Dec 23, 2015 2:11 pm

It took me till my second playthrough before I worked out how to perklessly take mods from one item to another. Phale.

Hint for similarly brain-adjacent persons: you have to apply any other mod to the item, and then the desired mod jumps into your inventory's Mod section, at which point it can be applied where you want it.

Annoyingly it insists you make the basic mod/misc for armours, which has a Junk component, so you can't mod all your recent Legendary loots when you bump into a craft armour table out in the field.

Weapons demand that too, but I'm yet to meet one which actually wants components for that.

I think I'm finished with it, after just over 100 hours. Not by any stretch a bad run, but a fraction of the chunk o'life Skyrim took from me.
Uberuce

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#59  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jan 05, 2016 4:12 pm

Are there rules about swapping out weapon upgrades you find already equipped to weapons? I found a pistol with a sharpshooter's grip I wanted to put on another pistol with the same ammo. I crafted a new grip and swapped it out, but the sharpshooter grip seems to be only allowed to be equipped to the pistol it came with. The pistol I wanted it on was a "named" weapon and I also lack the skill level to craft the grip, I don't know if that makes any difference.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#60  Postby purplerat » Jan 05, 2016 4:18 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:Are there rules about swapping out weapon upgrades you find already equipped to weapons? I found a pistol with a sharpshooter's grip I wanted to put on another pistol with the same ammo. I crafted a new grip and swapped it out, but the sharpshooter grip seems to be only allowed to be equipped to the pistol it came with. The pistol I wanted it on was a "named" weapon and I also lack the skill level to craft the grip, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Does the weapon you want to put it on already have an upgraded grip? I think you might have to remove that/put the default grip on in order to add the one you want.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games