Far Cry 3

Wow that's an opening sequence

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Far Cry 3

#1  Postby Wuffy » Dec 06, 2012 4:28 am

So I watch a series called Extra Credits, they discuss game design, and they talk about the strong opening sequence.

This is it. Damn, hooked on playing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lufk-R1cuok[/youtube]

I'm buying it ASAP. :drunk:
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Far Cry 3

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Dec 06, 2012 4:35 am

Yeah I enjoyed the opening, it really drew me into the game and how evil and twisted Vass is. The main character is still kinda a whiny douche at first but he does become more of a warrior as the game would put it. The gameplay and cut scenes don't mesh too well character wise at times, after killing hundreds of bad guys he still acts like he is a scared kid. But the longer the game goes on the more they seem to be meeting up.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Wuffy » Dec 06, 2012 4:48 am

Glad to hear it.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Dec 06, 2012 7:44 am

Best - Opening -EVAR!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ED209 » Dec 06, 2012 7:52 am

I am struggling to get past the insufferable twattishness of the main character. They build the best sandbox ever, and lumber you with playing the part of a massive bell-end who doesn't even make any sense and you just want to keep slapping. It's like Grand Theft Auto: Danny Alexander Stories :nono:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#6  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Dec 06, 2012 7:55 am

Best sandbox ever still goes to Just Cause 2, this one is nice but JC2 is so much bigger and has so much more to do in.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby ED209 » Dec 15, 2012 6:19 pm

So, the ending...
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Wuffy » Dec 17, 2012 2:40 am

Which one? Because uh... Damn.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby ED209 » Dec 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Well, there is the one that doesn't make any sense or the other one that doesn't make any sense. But just before that, there is ANOTHER fucking ridiculous quick time event boss fight that doesn't any sense either. One minute your dastardly plan has been foiled and you are at gunpoint and fearing for your life. So you have another fucking stupid dream sequence and when you snap out of it, you have somehow killed everyone in the room in real life. Again. Only this time it's game over.

Then it turns out that apropos of nothing citra decides to turn evil and you can either kill your girlfriend - sadly you don't get to kill each and every one of the twats - and subsequently get laid and sacrificed in a sequence of events that had no foreshadowing or relevance to the prior hours of game. Or you can not, in which case someone holding a knife trips over a glaring deus ex machina and results in you somehow staying on the island. Except now you are friends with the Wicker Man island people again and there is nothing to do until you die of old age.

This game would have been an absolute classic if only it weren't for the entire main storyline :lol:
ED209

Print view this post

#10  Postby Wuffy » Dec 18, 2012 2:34 am

Actually You don't stay. The game just doesn't stop you from continuing to play after the ending.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 25, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't know. The game's deeply enjoyable but for all of the faults of Farcry 2 it feels so much more real than Farcry 3. I guess a main part of this is weapons degrading and jamming, but there's more to it than that. The animals behaviour can just be silly. And the AI of the bad guys isn't up to much either.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby aban57 » Dec 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I started playing it a couple of days ago. Enjoyed it, altough some game mechanisms look a lot like the assassin's creed serie. I'm not saying it's a bad think, it's just not very original. But I still like it :)
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Wuffy » Dec 25, 2012 3:11 pm

http://www.gamefront.com/why-far-cry-3- ... ommentary/

If you listen to Yohalem explain his thought process, you can start to make sense of Far Cry 3 as exploitation — a send-up of video game empowerment narratives that wallow in colonialism, misogyny, and bloodlust.

If only this were possible simply by playing the game itself. Yohalem told Penny Arcade Report’s Sophie Prell that “the story is itself something that can be solved, like a riddle…what makes me sad is that people don’t engage with playing the riddle…it’s like a scavenger hunt where people aren’t collecting the first clue.” Except that there’s no first clue to collect, and if the riddle’s not being solved, it’s the writer’s fault, not his players.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games