For those who like emulation and retrogaming

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

For those who like emulation and retrogaming

#1  Postby viocjit » Apr 17, 2015 5:24 pm

I like emulation and retrogaming because there are many old video games that are fun or / and technically good. Also I like to discover games from the past because I can discover outdated technologies.

What is emulation (in this context) ? : This is the possibility to run a video game that was made for another hardware than your.
Example : You can play to games that was made for MegaDrive (Genesis in North America) with a PC under Windows 7.
An article from Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_emulator

What is retrogaming ? : This is simple to understand if you analyse the first part of this word. Retro means old or ancient. Retro + gaming = play to oldies games.

For those who are attract by the subject. Can you say me what are yours favourite old games ?

Some games that I like by alphabetical order (P: = Publisher , D: = Developer , Y: Year of release , p:Platform) :
1.Bio menace (P: Apogee Software , D: Apogee Software , Y: 1993 , p: MS-DOS)
2.Streets of rage (P: Sega , D: Sega , Y: 1991 , p: MegaDrive (Genesis))
3.Streets of rage 2 (P: Sega , D: Sega , Ancient Y: 1992 or 1993 p: Sega Master System)

PS : Don't post ROM and ISO there because ROM sharing and ISO sharing is illegal in many countries.
viocjit

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: For those who like emulation and retrogaming

#2  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 17, 2015 5:36 pm

I loved playing Dig Dug, Joust and Gauntlet. I've even played them on the MAME emulator not too many years ago.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Apr 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Ecco the Dolphin was probably my favourite game of the Megadrive/Genesis era. It was such a weird and unique puzzler with shades of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy and musical inlfuence by Pink Floyd with a bizarre, time-travelling story.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Apr 17, 2015 6:56 pm

MAME: Galaxian - Namco, Asteroids - Atari, Space Invaders - Midway, Moon Cresta - Gremlin , Donkey Kong - Nintendo
PS Simulator: Gran Turismo
ZX Simulator: F1, Manic Miner

trivia: Asteroids are mentioned in E.T.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2015 2:36 am

My favorite old games would be miles long.

I like re-playing old games, but I really love discovering old hidden gems that were too obscure or just didn't make it over here, but have now been translated or ported. These are ones I've discovered in the past year:

Megami Tensei (NES, also a version on the SNES)
Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2 (SNES)
Parodius (NES & SNES)
Wizardry 1 - 3 (SNES port)
Gimmick (NES)
Gradius 2 (NES)
Gun Nac (NES)
Holy Diver (NES)
Over Horizon (NES)
Shadow Of The Ninja (NES)
Wurm (NES)
Ninja Gaiden (Sega Master System)
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear 2 (MSX)

Also what's cool is the ROM modding community. Anything from swapping out characters (Roll for Mega Man) to building completely new games (Metroid Incursion).
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 7:05 am

You should think about trying out the translated Sweet Home for the NES SafeAsMilk. A huge influence on the Resident Evil games and a rather unique game for the NES in many ways. Not the birthplace of survival horror but one of the early stepping stones that the west missed out on.

I play tons of old games, I use Dosbox to play a large collection of Dos games on my PC. I tend to play console games on the console if I can. Emulation is a tricky business at times and many emulators of later consoles are only half done or only certain games work right. That doesn't mean I don't emulate but if I can buy the game in real life for a reasonable price I will.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2015 3:33 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:You should think about trying out the translated Sweet Home for the NES SafeAsMilk. A huge influence on the Resident Evil games and a rather unique game for the NES in many ways. Not the birthplace of survival horror but one of the early stepping stones that the west missed out on.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have played a little bit of that one but haven't gotten very far yet. It's interesting, actually reminds me more of a dark Maniac Mansion, more like an RPG than a tank shooter...then again I've only played RE4 :mrgreen:

I play tons of old games, I use Dosbox to play a large collection of Dos games on my PC. I tend to play console games on the console if I can. Emulation is a tricky business at times and many emulators of later consoles are only half done or only certain games work right. That doesn't mean I don't emulate but if I can buy the game in real life for a reasonable price I will.

I still have my old NES and SNES from when I was a kid, and tons of cartridges that I collected over the years before prices started going through the roof. Used to be pretty strict about playing games on them, but lately I find that the convenience of playing ROMs and not having to set up/route a bunch of different game systems wins out. I play just as well on the WIImote and PS3 controller as I do on the NES and SNES ones. The SMS controller looks pretty crappy TBH. Plus, I'm investigating systems I never had -- Gameboy Color and Advance for instance, which I enjoy being able to play on the TV or my computer screen rather than a little handheld. So many great games on those systems that I totally missed!

The most recent system I've managed to emulate is the Nintendo DS, it seems to do a fine job as far as I can tell. Never had any luck with MAME or PS1 emulators. Or Dreamcast emulator, which is really sad. There's a few classics on there I want to try.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 3:50 pm

PS1 emulators are a bit shoddy at times, I dont think either epsx or psx can handle iso or cd swapping for one. It is far easier to buy a chipped PS1 and just burn isos to disc and play that way. And if I remember right the Dreamcast console is actually really really easy to get to play burned games. I think it just needs a booter disc and it then can play whatever you want. Might be an easier solution than trying to emulate it, depends on the cost of picking one up of eBay or running into one a swap meet or thrit store. I am with you with emulating hand held consoles. The gameboy has no backlight and horrible motion blurring through so many iterations. So much easier to play on computer.

I would also recommend Clock Tower on the SNES. Its more of an point and click survival horror. There is a PS1 Clock Tower that is also point and click but is technically the second in the series. And a third one on PS2, at least I think it is PS2, that is more straight survival horror.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Fortunately I can play PS1 games on my PS3. Wish it would play PS2 games so I could get rid of that console. I'm sure you're right about the Dreamcast, I'm just overloaded with games as it is, so haven't put that much effort into it.

Thanks for the recommendation of Clock Tower! Haven't heard of that series, looks interesting :)
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Some PS3s can play PS2 game discs. If it has 4 USB ports it should be able to do it. The extra software and hardware was costing too much so they cut them out for most later models. Though they can play PS2 games bought from the PSN store.

I too am over loaded with games which is why I have put buying a couple of new consoles on back burner. I emulate as best I can the Sega/Mega CD for now but I plan on getting one in the future. Pretty much just to get my hands on the Secret Of Monkey Island game ported to it so I can be the cool guy with the unique version of that game in my circle of nerd friends.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Yeah, mine doesn't play them unfortunately. Most of the games I like/want are available on PSN as you say, though I keep hearing about the ports of some being screwed up. Digital Devil Saga, for instance. I haven't seen Dragon Quest 8 on there either, which is so stupid...probably the best game on that system IMHO, aside from Nocturne.

The emulator I use has a bunch of systems I haven't even touched yet, 32X, TurboGrafx 16, Game Gear, NeoGeo Pocket, even Atari 2600. No idea if there's even any good games for them, haven't had time to investigate.

BTW, looking at your avatar, have you played the pony ROM hack of Earthbound? :)
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 4:29 pm

No I haven't...I don't actually like Earthbound all that much. It is a fun game for sure but it doesn't grip me like it does for others for one reason or another.

The only PS2 game I have from the PSN store is The Warriors...which is the greatest movie to video game transfer ever and one of the best games ever made.

The Turbografix/PC Engine has some pretty good games on it and good ports of arcade games from my understanding. Splatterhouse, some pinball games, Bonk. The 32X is an addon for the Megadrive/Genesis, not a lot of games for it really but the ones on there aren't bad. A lot of the games were expanded versions of the ones coming out for the base console with some added music or graphics.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 18, 2015 4:51 pm

If I'm in the mood for some nostalgia gaming, which is only very occasionally, I'll load up WinUAE to play some Amiga favourites. You can still find thousands of games for it. WinUAE is free, but you'll usually have to buy the necessary Kickstart ROMs; and it can be tricky to configure the settings to get certain games to work, but it mostly works well.

I've also got a cheap Android device with a free ZX Spectrum emulator on it, Unreal Speccy Portable. It's very easy to get running, and very stable. World of Spectrum, for example, has a large game archive.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#14  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2015 5:03 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:No I haven't...I don't actually like Earthbound all that much. It is a fun game for sure but it doesn't grip me like it does for others for one reason or another.

The only PS2 game I have from the PSN store is The Warriors...which is the greatest movie to video game transfer ever and one of the best games ever made.

The Turbografix/PC Engine has some pretty good games on it and good ports of arcade games from my understanding. Splatterhouse, some pinball games, Bonk. The 32X is an addon for the Megadrive/Genesis, not a lot of games for it really but the ones on there aren't bad. A lot of the games were expanded versions of the ones coming out for the base console with some added music or graphics.

Yeah, the battle system of Earthbound doesn't seem very deep. I can understand why people were into it at the time, it's much more playful than most RPG's and very accessible. I never played the original TBH, but I find it fun to run around as 16 bit ponies.

Y'know, I have a few friends who really love The Warriors, borrowed it once but never really got into it for some reason...probably cuz I'm not that into brawlers. Should try it again at some point.

I also like ROM hacks for re-balancing old games that were poorly balanced in the first place. The one for Ultima: Exodus on the NES makes for a MUCH more interesting experience, where there's not just one good party to beat the game. Also good for games that are just too fucking hard for casual gamers...I can actually get my wife to play Batman (NES) or Castlevania because of hacks that make them much easier and more forgiving.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 5:42 pm

I have heard there is a ROM hack of Castlevania 2 that actually makes it a good game. Clears up the bad villager hints and stuff so things make sense.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2015 6:05 pm

I always liked the bad translations, made the game more dark n' mysterious to me :) I like the hack that doubles collected heart values, really helps to keep the game from dragging at points. Also the one that speeds up the obnoxious day/night transition animation.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tuco » Apr 18, 2015 6:24 pm

Makes me wonder how come there is not service to steam retro from cloud.
tuco

Print view this post

#18  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Pretty simple really, emulation is not perfect and you would need to make deals with the rights holders about who gets what cut of what money. Of course there are plenty of companies selling retro games, GOG, PSN, Nintendo, Steam all have emulated games for sale.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tuco » Apr 18, 2015 6:35 pm

Deal with Nintendo over Donkey Kong? That is lulz but alright.

Well yea, www.retrogaming.com and there you come and play any retro game you like without installing ROMs and simulators. Just login and play for a fee. Sounds like good business to me.
tuco

Print view this post

#20  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 6:40 pm

I assume you are referring to the fact that the Donkey Kong games are contested due to Rare being now owned by Microsoft and Nintendo still holding the rights to the characters? I made no mention of them so your "lulz" are your own.

Of course you can buy Donkey Kong 64 on the WiiU so deals were made. Any streaming service would need to make far more of them with far more companies with far more split ownership problems. It sounds good but in reality it would be a huge cluster fuck to set up, would need skilled people to either write emulators or to fix currently broken ones and would have a far smaller market share than regular gaming.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games