Game suggestion?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Game suggestion?

#1  Postby Kharn » May 23, 2012 4:51 am

Hello gaming community of RatSkep.
Just looking to see if the people here had any good games to suggest, as I've played my current ones to death, and don'y want to waste money, as there have been several disappointing releases recently.
For reference, I mainly play strategy and RPG games, although I play a bit of everything. Most played games according are the main four games by paradox interacitve (Eu3, HoI3, V2 and CK2) as well as Skyrim, Company of Heroes and Team Fortress 2.
"Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think?" - Jayne Cobb
Kharn

Name: Owen Over
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Game suggestion?

#2  Postby CookieJon » May 23, 2012 6:00 am

Asassin's Creed
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » May 23, 2012 6:06 am

I take it you've played Divine Wind then - the update for Eu3?

Obviously, Diablo 3 has just come out, and there's quite a few people here playing that.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Nostalgia » May 23, 2012 6:02 pm

I much prefer the Fallout games to the Elder Scrolls. Fallout New Vegas is pretty good.

Mount & Blade is good too.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macros1980 » May 23, 2012 6:59 pm

You should be able to pick up Just Cause 2 pretty cheaply now. It's really good fun, with a casual disregard for the laws of physics. The grappling hook is one of my favorite things in any computer game. You can use it for getting around but, if that's all you use it for, you're missing out. It can be used to lash enemies to objects such as pressurised gas tanks which, when shot, will fly off, dragging the guy with it. In fact, you can grapple just about anything to anything else. I particularly enjoy the way you can freefall from 1000 feet and just grapple safely to the ground at the last moment. Combined with your infinitely deployable parachutes, it's the best general-purpose way of getting around. The game's set in one of the largest sandbox maps ever created, with loads of cool terrain and features. Maybe check out some YouTube videos if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Wiðercora » May 23, 2012 8:22 pm

There was that Mass Effect game they released a few years ago. Shame they didn't do any sequels, but I suppose it would be like meeting your heroes - they can never live up to your standards.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Kharn » May 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Just realised that that post vastly understated the amount of games I play. When I say I mostly play TF2 I mean that my younger brother and I have (somehow) racked up over 1000 hours. I think most of that is from leaving the game on overnight but still.
Can't play any game that has 'always connected' DRM- I live in the UAE and the internet stops for a few seconds at least once a minute.

I completely forgot about the Just Cause series- I definitely need to grab 2. Thank you Macros.
Wiðercora wrote:There was that Mass Effect game they released a few years ago. Shame they didn't do any sequels, but I suppose it would be like meeting your heroes - they can never live up to your standards.

I'm pretty sure we're on Mass Effect 3 now- Am I missing something, or did you miss the massive hype around 3.

Spearthrower wrote:I take it you've played Divine Wind then - the update for Eu3?

On the topic of EU3- I hang around on the paradox forums quite a bit, and I always feel like I know absolutely nothing about the game- I read to the EU3 thread here to remind myself that not everyone should be able to do a world conquest as he Iroquois. Seriously though, I spend about 40% of my gaming time on EU3, so I don't even remember what it was like pre-divine wind. I've probably played about 3000 years of Divine Wind with 20 countries, which is sort of why I want something new.
"Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think?" - Jayne Cobb
Kharn

Name: Owen Over
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Mazille » May 24, 2012 6:32 pm

MacIver wrote:Mount & Blade is good too.

Understatement of the week. Didn't Paradox publish that one as well, by the way?

How about some Total War, if you're into RTS?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#9  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Diablo III

I can't get enough. The fight mechanics have a very tactical feel and is very satisfying. Plus the story ain't bad either.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby paceetrate » May 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Diablo's out of the question because it requires an internet connection to play even single player.

Monster Hunter if you have a PSP (get Freedom Unite) or a Wii (MH3). Very challenging, a bit grindy but a grind that requires skill not just choosing the same option from a menu. Don't expect an in-depth story though, and it takes a bit playing to ramp up to the good stuff.

Otherwise... um... Minecraft? :P
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » May 25, 2012 12:14 am

Kharn wrote:I read to the EU3 thread here to remind myself that not everyone should be able to do a world conquest as he Iroquois.

Yeah, I'm not too sure how much belief I lend to some of the threads I've seen! :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Video Games