http://mysn.co.uk/shop/xmg-advanced/xmg-a704.html

The configuration I chose would be the following:

17,3' 1080p non glare display
GeForce GTX860m
i7-4710MQ
2x4GB Crucial DDR3 RAM
120GB Crucial SSD
750GB 7200rpm WD Black

In that configuration the price would come to 1150€ with a 2 year warranty. Honestly, I can't find anything with the same graphical power for that price anywhere. Would an upgrade to a notebook wiht a GTX870m be worth the ~200€ I'd have to add to the price?

What do you think, nerds?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Gaming Notebook

#2  Postby virphen » May 27, 2014 10:29 am

It seems like it would run Farmville.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Mazille » May 27, 2014 10:32 am

You know, for a spacelizard from a presumably advanced society you're not particularly helpful.

Then again, it might just be that you scaly people are dicks.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#4  Postby minininja » May 27, 2014 11:12 am

It's nice what they can pack into a laptop these days. Whether it's worth the better graphics card depends on how much money you have to burn and what you want it to do. Generally mid range has the best price to power ratio, but that doesn't always hold.

Fairly extensive comparison and game benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 794.0.html
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Matt_B » May 27, 2014 12:03 pm

They can indeed pack a lot into a laptop, but the result is that you end up with a heavy one that's got a massive power draw when the GPU is running under full load. You might be able to play some impressive games on it, but it'll flatten your batteries in next to no time at all, and run scorchingly hot as it's got to dissipate the thick end of 150W somehow. As such, I'm pretty sure that these machines spend most of their lives sat on a desk plugged into the mains, although the ability to move them around occasionally will make the difference for some people.

Still, bearing all that in mind, the spec looks reasonable for the price. I'd suggest going for the more powerful GPU, as that'll future proof it against the games of the next few years, and stave off the pain of having to upgrade a little while longer.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Made of Stars » May 27, 2014 12:12 pm

It would also help heat the living room while you're playing. :)
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mazille » May 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Matt_B wrote:They can indeed pack a lot into a laptop, but the result is that you end up with a heavy one that's got a massive power draw when the GPU is running under full load. You might be able to play some impressive games on it, but it'll flatten your batteries in next to no time at all, and run scorchingly hot as it's got to dissipate the thick end of 150W somehow. As such, I'm pretty sure that these machines spend most of their lives sat on a desk plugged into the mains, although the ability to move them around occasionally will make the difference for some people.

Still, bearing all that in mind, the spec looks reasonable for the price. I'd suggest going for the more powerful GPU, as that'll future proof it against the games of the next few years, and stave off the pain of having to upgrade a little while longer.

It's kind of the downside of being on the road a lot and being a gamer. I really can't get around a notebook, unfortunately.
As for future-proofing: Things will settle down in 1,5 - 2 years and I should think an opportunity for a proper desktop PC will come up then.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Mazille » May 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Welp. And that's that. Through shady dealings I'll get that one for 1000 flat. :smoke:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#9  Postby kiore » May 27, 2014 2:46 pm

This looks a very capable unit as a semi portable gaming system. GPU should be good enough for that screen for most things.
Price seems pretty good.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#10  Postby Mazille » May 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Apparently the GTX860m is pretty much the next best thing to sliced bread, bang for buck wise.
With the extra 150€ shaved off, I'm actually really, really pleased. What with the consoles being as weak as they are, the system should last me a while too, and it being a customized Crevo barebones set-up I can pretty much swap parts as I choose in the coming years.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Strontium Dog » May 27, 2014 3:44 pm

The only off the shelf product I can find with a similar price and spec is this:

http://www.medion.com/at/prod/MEDION%C2 ... 30017269A1

And that has a slightly worse processor and smaller SSD (but larger hard drive/slightly better graphics)

Remarkable what they can fit into a notebook these days.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mazille » May 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Yeah, one of those Medions was my target before the 8xx series got started. They'll take some time to catch up to that, I guess. Mostly good value, really.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tuco » May 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Since you can customize you might wanna pay attention to WiFi, for example here, as the price difference is little for the time the card will be in use and the amount of data it will process.
tuco

Print view this post

#14  Postby Mazille » Jun 02, 2014 5:57 pm

So.
The Beast has been ordered and should arrive this week or early next week. Since I ordered it without an OS, I ask myself: Win 7 or 8.1?
I really disliked the weird tile-screen stuff when I tried i8.1 on my girlfriend's notebook and it seems ridiculously counterintuitive to me. Then again, I'm sure I could live with it after a while. Are the faster boot times and minimal performance increases in some games worth the hassle? Am I being overly sensitive and is the new UI actually better than I currently think?
What's everybody's opinion on this?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Matt_B » Jun 03, 2014 9:54 am

I run Windows 8.1 on my laptop and it's pretty good once you get over the fact that Microsoft foisted an interface on it that was designed for tablets and smartphones that the world shunned. I do find that I spend most of the time in the desktop environment though - to which the recent updates have restored some primacy - and Windows 8 Apps only really come into their own if you've got a machine with a touch screen that's very light and portable.

Still, if you're using it a pure games machine, and most of what you'll be playing comes via services like Steam and GoG, there are no significant advantages over 7, which remains cheaper and offers better compatibility. I think that it'll remain the majority OS for a number of years yet, especially with gamers who already have experience of skipping a generation with Vista.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Sgt Kelly » Jun 03, 2014 10:38 am

I have Windows 8 on my gaming rig. No complaints so far. It took me 10 minutes to get used to the apps and Start screen thing. It's pointless if you don't use touch but not to the extent that I find it annoying. In fact I'm quite pleased to be able to stick the stuff I use all the time on the Start screen.

As for no advantages over Windows 7, boot to desktop in 5 seconds is a pretty big advantage for me.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Matt_B » Jun 03, 2014 11:08 am

Sgt Kelly wrote:I have Windows 8 on my gaming rig. No complaints so far. It took me 10 minutes to get used to the apps and Start screen thing. It's pointless if you don't use touch but not to the extent that I find it annoying. In fact I'm quite pleased to be able to stick the stuff I use all the time on the Start screen.

As for no advantages over Windows 7, boot to desktop in 5 seconds is a pretty big advantage for me.

It's only an advantage if you habitually boot your machine from cold every time you use it. If you're used to sticking it into sleep mode, or hibernation if you need to totally cut the power, it's no quicker. All Windows 8 fast booting does is automate this process, so the machine only ever does a full reboot when it absolutely has to.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Mazille » Jun 16, 2014 11:49 am

YES!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Myyyyyy.... prrrecccciiiiooooooooooooouuuuus!

MWAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA!
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 16, 2014 1:00 pm

Mazille wrote:YES!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Myyyyyy.... prrrecccciiiiooooooooooooouuuuus!

MWAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA!

So, has it arrived yet?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Mazille » Jun 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Yes, and it is a stunner.

Windows installed in like 3 minutes. I remember a time when you had to set aside a day to set up a new computer. Still. Work is calling and I can't give the baby a proper testride yet.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games