Glenn Beck - Watch Dogs promotes hacking.

Chokes on own outrage.

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Glenn Beck - Watch Dogs promotes hacking.

#1  Postby Animavore » May 30, 2014 12:59 pm

"Why must everyone be an anti-hero? Why must everyone break the law? Why can't we have a Superman? Why can't we have somebody who is doing the right thing, does the hard thing? Instead, everybody is an anti-hero," Beck said.

"The idea here is they are teaching you to hack and then become the ultimate voyeur in other people's lives--including their bedrooms--by hacking into their phones and everything," Beck said. "This game is teaching people to hack into whatever is docked in your bedroom. What the heck is wrong with us? What are we thinking? We are inviting this into our home and our lives. We are teaching our kids [hacking] for entertainment purposes."

Also during the segment, Beck said because video games are such a relatively new medium, we don't yet fully understand how they affect our brains, though he said he's sure they must do so in some way. "These games re-wire your brain; we don't even know what they do yet. This is brand new stuff," Beck said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/glenn- ... 0-6419977/

:lmao:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Glenn Beck - Watch Dogs promotes hacking.

#2  Postby Thommo » May 30, 2014 1:02 pm

No, I know what he means about games changing behaviour and I think he has a point.

Last time I played pokemon I left home and traveled the UK challenging random kids to fight my pet hamster for six months. It all came to a crashing end when I broke the kinder surprise plastic egg I'd been keeping him in between fights and he ran away. :?
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby chairman bill » May 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Any activity 're-wires' your brain. Studies (I could probably dig out some references, but anyone interested could just use Google Scholar) have suggested that video games can increase concentration, reaction times, and a whole lot more. Some quite positive improvements in fact.

I'm not aware of any specific studies, but I'd imagine that prolonged exposure to Glenn Beck rants might have a wholly deleterious impact on cognitive function. In the interests of science, maybe we should experiment on him.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DarthHelmet86 » May 30, 2014 1:05 pm

So then Beck has not played the game or even seen it played since the hacking amounts to pressing a button. That isn't real hacking, that isn't even real script kiddy hacking. Real hacking takes time, a long time and it takes more than looking at something and pressing X on a controller.

Fuck me have that not learned from Mass Effect when even Jack Motherfucking barred from being a lawyer for lying Thompson called Fox and co idiots for making up shit about that without playing it? I mean fucking really, when you are below Jack Thompson you have fucking mined the bottom of the barrel out and found some previously undiscovered land unknown to any man on this earth.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Rome Existed » May 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Beck said because video games are such a relatively new medium,

Yeah, they've only been around for like 40 years.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » May 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Beck has lost the plot, assuming he ever had a plot in the first place.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » May 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Rome Existed wrote:Beck said because video games are such a relatively new medium,

[youtube]http://youtu.be/E6AOd6r6Qi8[/youtube]
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » May 31, 2014 8:12 am

Rome Existed wrote:Beck said because video games are such a relatively new medium,

One could argue America's a relatively new medium :coffee:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rome Existed » May 31, 2014 9:26 am

Anyway, you'd think this would be right up his alley with all his talk of the government getting too big and what not.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DarthHelmet86 » May 31, 2014 9:34 am

Rome Existed wrote:Anyway, you'd think this would be right up his alley with all his talk of the government getting too big and what not.

No no he only thinks that when it affects him, when it spies on non-white, non Christians or poor people he would be all for it. Oh also as long as it meant a big corporation was making big bucks of doing it and shafting the government at the same time.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby iMMz » Jul 08, 2014 9:26 am

These people don't even think before they talk anymore. Beck and a lot of his comrades on FOX have serious cases of verbal diarrhea
iMMz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Jul 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Why does it matter what Glenn Beck says? He is nobody over here.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Jul 08, 2014 12:55 pm

People watch this kind of TV program to justify their decision to seal themselves off from reality. "Oh no, the video games are turning everyone into evil hackers, let's buy more padlocks and guns, I'm never leaving this house."

As someone has already pointed out. Nutjob radio presenters are only small government when it suits them (them ~=~ their family trusts).
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby KeenIdiot » Jul 08, 2014 6:30 pm

I don't understand this thing and it terrifies me.
There, simplified it.
I've met a large amount of people like this. For us, if I can generalize here, we see a new thing that we don't understand and we either just treat it as something that is not understood and defer to people who do, or we try to understand it.
Other people just treat it with fear and suspicion. It's why you can have a film where a woman's identity is stolen online and everyone forgets who she is and people find it believable.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games