Global PC games market revenue overtakes consoles

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Global PC games market revenue overtakes consoles

#21  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Ideally, peripheral wise, I'd rather a joypad/mouse/voice/motion hybrid. Say the left hand side of the controller with the stick used for moving along with triggers, with a mouse in the right for looking and shooting, with the caveat that I'd need a third mouse button on the side for jumping, and use voice commands to call out weapons and items, and use motion sensors for things like leaning in first-person shooters.

:smug:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Wouldn't it just be easier to build a holodeck?
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 5:56 pm

I can only use available technologies. Though it just occurred to me I should be switching motion sensors for VR and using a PS Move Sharp Shooter instead of the mouse and controller.
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessori ... r-ps3.html
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24  Postby tuco » Apr 29, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
tuco wrote:On topic .. well, those who claimed PC gaming as dead or on decline need to work on their visionary capabilities and .. common sense. There is only so much one can do with 4 buttons, two sticks and 4 triggers.

I'd like to see exactly where this revenue is coming from, but I suspect it's from free-to-play, advertising-funded games that are generally far more simple to play than either the console games or the sort of PC games you might buy on Steam. I just saw an article that claimed that Candy Crush Saga makes $859,000 a day in revenue in the US alone. That's over $300m a year. Does that count as PC game revenue, or mobile gaming revenue, because I know people who play it on both? The highest grossing games of all time have made over $1bn each on a mixture of consoles and PCs. World of Warcraft is the clear leader though, with estimated revenues of over $10bn since 2004, which is massively more than any other game.

I would not, at least not to make my point. I just tried Candy Crash Saga and I can imagine how it would suck with gamepad. The fact is that PC, with appropriate accessory, can handle any game, even touch-screen based. Console can handle only some.
tuco

Print view this post

#25  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 6:37 pm

tuco wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
tuco wrote:On topic .. well, those who claimed PC gaming as dead or on decline need to work on their visionary capabilities and .. common sense. There is only so much one can do with 4 buttons, two sticks and 4 triggers.

I'd like to see exactly where this revenue is coming from, but I suspect it's from free-to-play, advertising-funded games that are generally far more simple to play than either the console games or the sort of PC games you might buy on Steam. I just saw an article that claimed that Candy Crush Saga makes $859,000 a day in revenue in the US alone. That's over $300m a year. Does that count as PC game revenue, or mobile gaming revenue, because I know people who play it on both? The highest grossing games of all time have made over $1bn each on a mixture of consoles and PCs. World of Warcraft is the clear leader though, with estimated revenues of over $10bn since 2004, which is massively more than any other game.

I would not, at least not to make my point. I just tried Candy Crash Saga and I can imagine how it would suck with gamepad. The fact is that PC, with appropriate accessory, can handle any game, even touch-screen based. Console can handle only some.

You can use mouse and keyboard with console.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/ ... e-with-ps4
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 6:40 pm

In fact, considering a console is a PC there should be technically nothing it can't also use if the powers that be want to.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#27  Postby tuco » Apr 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Of course, you can use keyboard and mouse with console, however, the time console (exclusives) games will be made with keyboard and mouse in mind is yet to come.

The biggest thing consoles have going for them is price (tho games are more expensive) and exclusives, maybe Kinect for kids and fun. With increasing power of laptops I am not seeing myself buying next-gen. Well, unless some genius decides FIFA to be console exclusive, because that is the only game I play on X1.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 6:56 pm

By the way, are you playing Dark Souls 2 with kb&m or controller? I'd imagine it would be more difficult with the former.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#29  Postby tuco » Apr 29, 2014 7:32 pm

XBox 360 controller for DS2 though I've read this time the game was made with PC release in mind unlike just porting it.

I had to buy the controller because I sold 360 some time ago, despite I have 3 X1 controllers which are known to work with PC .. fucking MS ... 2 of 3 X1 controllers broke and MS Czech told me they will not replace it because X1 was not released here despite service centre for X1 for Europe is in Czech Rep so the workaround is to send the controller to friend in UK who then would send it for replacement to Czech Rep, back to UK and back to me .. fucking idiots .. I get annoyed easily.
Last edited by tuco on Apr 29, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#30  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm on PS4 controller no. 4.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Briton » Apr 30, 2014 7:23 am

It's not just the superior control methods available on the PC that makes many games better, there's also modding. Morrowind and Oblivion, for example, are unplayable for me in their vanilla state. Being able to fashion games to suite my preference rather than what is released for the console kids is a huge draw.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby mrjonno » May 01, 2014 9:23 am

I prefer PC games but it doesn't really matter what the user prefers, its about what makes the most amount of profit for who writes the software
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 02, 2014 12:11 am

mrjonno wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
mrjonno wrote:Geeks and software pirates care about DRM no one else does

Not really. Almost everyone hates those anti-piracy adverts you used to only get on videos you'd actually bought in a shop. And I used to refuse to buy any CD that had it on after I bought one once that prevented me from ripping it to my computer. I think everyone resents the idea of the legitimate customers (and only the legitimate customers) having to deal with loads of bullshit despite being the only ones actually paying for the thing.

What's your job, I'm going to have a bet its going to be related to IT?

Nope. I barely even use a computer in my job. I'm pretty sure wanting to transfer your CDs to an MP3 player isn't an unusual or particularly geeky thing to want to do.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#34  Postby mrjonno » May 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Nope. I barely even use a computer in my job. I'm pretty sure wanting to transfer your CDs to an MP3 player isn't an unusual or particularly geeky thing to want to do.

I would probably say its common knowledge for anyone under 25, above that 1% of the population would know how to do it?
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Animavore » May 03, 2014 9:56 pm

mrjonno wrote:

I would probably say its common knowledge for anyone under 25, above that 1% of the population would know how to do it?

Nah, it's common knowledge for those between 25 and 35.
Below that they don't even know what a 'CD' is ;)
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games