Global PC games market revenue overtakes consoles

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Global PC games market revenue overtakes consoles

#1  Postby DoctorE » Apr 28, 2014 3:01 pm

According to market analysts at DFC Intelligence the PC games market now generates more revenue globally than the console games market can muster. A DFC analyst, in an interview with PCR, points out how the times have changed. Consoles are now seen as a prestige item, where as PCs, which can also play games, are increasing becoming a device that people need, and are cheaper to build, especially gaming rigs.

"On a global basis PC games have surpassed console games, but the new console systems means consoles should show an increase," said DFC Intelligence boss David Cole. He went on to point out that "Among core gamers there is a heavy overlap with most console gamers also playing on a PC. The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity. Just a few years ago the reverse was true. This means PCs have the broader audience."

Continues: http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/6 ... -consoles/
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Global PC games market revenue overtakes consoles

#2  Postby Animavore » Apr 28, 2014 3:30 pm

I seems MOBAs make for quite a bit. It's a wonder consoles haven't tapped that yet.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Ah. Things are returning to normal in the gaming world. All is now how it should be. :levi:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby mrjonno » Apr 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Is this really true?, are they including online gambling or something?

Quite suspicious of that article
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Apr 28, 2014 4:05 pm

mrjonno wrote:Is this really true?, are they including online gambling or something?

They're including just about everything up to and including Flappy Bird.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Bribase » Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm

mrjonno wrote:Is this really true?, are they including online gambling or something?

It's more to do with the casual market than anything else. Stay at home parents, people who are bored at work, social media games e.t.c. It's really due to PCs being dual purpose than an actual rise of the PC gaming master race.

Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm

:lol:

Yeah, it'll be a while before normal "PC" games overtake console sales. Although I do think it may happen eventually. PC's will always have an element of open source that consoles will lack.

But then the end what does it even matter? All a console is is a pre-built personal computer in a fancy box.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Briton » Apr 28, 2014 7:04 pm

MacIver wrote:Ah. Things are returning to normal in the gaming world. All is now how it should be. :levi:

I thought normal was PC gaming always being on the brink of death? Always thought those claims were tosh. :)
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 28, 2014 8:44 pm

To be fair, it came close after the introduction of strict copy protection software and before the advent of Steam... :think:
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Apr 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Bribase wrote:

It's more to do with the casual market than anything else. Stay at home parents, people who are bored at work, social media games e.t.c. It's really due to PCs being dual purpose than an actual rise of the PC gaming master race.

The article does not mention PC gaming master race, however, if someone does I believe such comments are based on: a) the constant bickering between console users about which one is best b) the fact that PC gaming, with regards to a), is simply the best. The only thing which offsets "platform wars" are exclusives, which I believe exist only for marketing reasons and most gamers need to hate.

On topic .. well, those who claimed PC gaming as dead or on decline need to work on their visionary capabilities and .. common sense. There is only so much one can do with 4 buttons, two sticks and 4 triggers.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby MrFungus420 » Apr 29, 2014 4:26 am

tuco wrote:On topic .. well, those who claimed PC gaming as dead or on decline need to work on their visionary capabilities and .. common sense. There is only so much one can do with 4 buttons, two sticks and 4 triggers.

Especially when using one of the joysticks means that there are 4 of your controls that you basically can't use.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#12  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 29, 2014 4:59 am

tuco wrote:On topic .. well, those who claimed PC gaming as dead or on decline need to work on their visionary capabilities and .. common sense. There is only so much one can do with 4 buttons, two sticks and 4 triggers.

I'd like to see exactly where this revenue is coming from, but I suspect it's from free-to-play, advertising-funded games that are generally far more simple to play than either the console games or the sort of PC games you might buy on Steam. I just saw an article that claimed that Candy Crush Saga makes $859,000 a day in revenue in the US alone. That's over $300m a year. Does that count as PC game revenue, or mobile gaming revenue, because I know people who play it on both? The highest grossing games of all time have made over $1bn each on a mixture of consoles and PCs. World of Warcraft is the clear leader though, with estimated revenues of over $10bn since 2004, which is massively more than any other game.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Rome Existed » Apr 29, 2014 9:18 am

Hopefully there'll stop being so many shitty console to PC ports.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby mrjonno » Apr 29, 2014 11:09 am

MacIver wrote:To be fair, it came close after the introduction of strict copy protection software and before the advent of Steam... :think:

It was strict copy protection which Steam is part of that may save the PC gaming market

The pay to win/subscription is also part of revenue protection.

Geeks and software pirates care about DRM no one else does
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 11:24 am

The PC bias is endemic :lol:

MrFungus420 wrote:

Especially when using one of the joysticks means that there are 4 of your controls that you basically can't use.

Try playing Street Fighter, a driving game or a platform game with a keyboard and mouse. And there are ten buttons, not four. As well as a touch pad and use of voice commands. Switching out weapons in Tomb Raider by calling them out is far more efficient than stretching to press the number keys on a keyboard. And no, there are no controls you basically can't use.

Add to that the likes of four-player couch co-op on games like Diablo 3 (which according to many reviewers works better with a joypad as it's like playing a top down, twin-stick shooter, though I've never played with keyboard and mouse to confirm this for myself), the fact everyone's playing with the same system and so on the same page for multiplayer, no one will be getting compatibility issues, they're harder to hack and easier to use, there are specific advantages to consoles.
Last edited by Animavore on Apr 29, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 29, 2014 11:25 am

mrjonno wrote:Geeks and software pirates care about DRM no one else does

Not really. Almost everyone hates those anti-piracy adverts you used to only get on videos you'd actually bought in a shop. And I used to refuse to buy any CD that had it on after I bought one once that prevented me from ripping it to my computer. I think everyone resents the idea of the legitimate customers (and only the legitimate customers) having to deal with loads of bullshit despite being the only ones actually paying for the thing.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » Apr 29, 2014 11:33 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:

I'd like to see exactly where this revenue is coming from, but I suspect it's from free-to-play, advertising-funded games that are generally far more simple to play than either the console games or the sort of PC games you might buy on Steam. I just saw an article that claimed that Candy Crush Saga makes $859,000 a day in revenue in the US alone. That's over $300m a year. Does that count as PC game revenue, or mobile gaming revenue, because I know people who play it on both? The highest grossing games of all time have made over $1bn each on a mixture of consoles and PCs. World of Warcraft is the clear leader though, with estimated revenues of over $10bn since 2004, which is massively more than any other game.

From the article.

MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena) and free-to-play games were also deemed as the most popular and best performing genre on the PC gaming platform, according to DFC's recently published quarterly report on PC gaming revenues and usage.

This is where most of the revenue is coming from on PC. Not from your AAA games. So...

Rome Existed wrote:Hopefully there'll stop being so many shitty console to PC ports.

..no. Afraid not.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby mrjonno » Apr 29, 2014 11:56 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
mrjonno wrote:Geeks and software pirates care about DRM no one else does

Not really. Almost everyone hates those anti-piracy adverts you used to only get on videos you'd actually bought in a shop. And I used to refuse to buy any CD that had it on after I bought one once that prevented me from ripping it to my computer. I think everyone resents the idea of the legitimate customers (and only the legitimate customers) having to deal with loads of bullshit despite being the only ones actually paying for the thing.

What's your job, I'm going to have a bet its going to be related to IT?
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Briton » Apr 29, 2014 12:19 pm

MacIver wrote:To be fair, it came close after the introduction of strict copy protection software and before the advent of Steam... :think:

I don't buy into the Steam being the great saviour either.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby susu.exp » Apr 29, 2014 12:58 pm

In Germany the PC has rather consistently outperformed consoles - mainly because Strategy games and Adventures have remained more popular and anybody who'd like to play a 4X with a gamepad is a bit loony... There are some genres to PC is simply better at, thanks to mice. Then there's the simple fact that PCs evolve continuously and generally get to have better graphics than consoles rather quickly.

And hey, you can get game pads for PC! I wouldn't want to play Street fighter with my keyboard, but it's not as if the PC didn't have alternatives (I bought mine to play THPS4 back when).
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games