Hatred. Mass murdering shooter.

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Hatred. Mass murdering shooter.

#1  Postby Animavore » Oct 17, 2014 9:46 am

I guess it was only a matter of time, but have these devs gone too far?

I'm not sure if I like the idea of gunning down innocents. Or even cops in this manner.

Seems to be generating lots of comments on Twitter and other controvesy.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamepl ... 0-6423001/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hatred. Mass murdering shooter.

#2  Postby minininja » Oct 17, 2014 10:28 am

Well if that video is an accurate representation of the game, the devs have gone too stupid.

Hatred aims to be "something different," and a game that gives players "pure, gaming pleasure," Destructive Creations said.

The 'killing for the sake of killing' has been done before on so many occasions, though obviously not so human and graphic (only due to graphics tech), so it's not something different, they've just pushed it as far as they can for shock value. But frankly, the gameplay looks shit. Running around massively overpowered, shooting pretty much at random, interspersed with quasi-scripted kill sequences, would get boring very fast. It may be there's more to the game than meets the eye, but based on what they're saying there may not be. In which case it's just excessive violence and gore in an attempt to make up for incompetence in game design. Like any of the lame horror movies that attempt the same thing, it deserves to be ignored.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby epepke » Oct 17, 2014 2:54 pm

"Manhunt" came out quite a long time ago.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Manhunt was not about killing innocents. The correct Rockstar game to say came out a long time ago is Grand Theft Auto.

I don't know how that relates to this new games level of violence but GTA has had the player being able to gun down innocents and cops for a long time.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Varangian » Oct 17, 2014 3:37 pm

If you lack talent, add gore... This game will probably get very low ratings, but still be held forth as an example of how bad computer games are.

Anita Sarkeesian will probably criticize it for not having a female character option. ;)

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#6  Postby epepke » Oct 17, 2014 3:41 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Manhunt was not about killing innocents. The correct Rockstar game to say came out a long time ago is Grand Theft Auto.

I don't know how that relates to this new games level of violence but GTA has had the player being able to gun down innocents and cops for a long time.

True, but that's an artifact of having an open game. The player gets to decide how evil the character should be.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby quas » Oct 17, 2014 3:52 pm

How violent can you get? Can you actually make a video game about raping?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Varangian » Oct 17, 2014 3:57 pm

quas wrote:How violent can you get? Can you actually make a video game about raping?

Of course you can! The question is whether you should... That some idiot developer makes an offensive game isn't really a problem - there would be a problem if there was a market for it.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#9  Postby quas » Oct 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Varangian wrote:
quas wrote:How violent can you get? Can you actually make a video game about raping?

Of course you can! The question is whether you should... That some idiot developer makes an offensive game isn't really a problem - there would be a problem if there was a market for it.

I don't think video game developers are bound by moral ethics like that. There is a market for this. It seems to me that things like this would probably receive more condemnation from the public if the violence was committed towards cute kittens and puppies.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#10  Postby Varangian » Oct 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Microsoft Kitten in a blender simulator?

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#11  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2014 12:06 am

Varangian wrote:

I would also avoid labeling people who buy into markets just because of violent content. One of my characters when I played tabletop rpgs with my group was a viking-like barbarian who had a sizable cock, and an appetite for women, especially the young one's. He was a hell of a lot of fun to play especially since I ended up in a group led by a self-righteous paladin. Did my character ever rape anyone during gameplay? Yep. We seiged a town and unbeknownst to my group (but beknownst to my GM) I had raped the High Priests daughter several times before slitting her throat. It set the stage for that entire church to want to destroy our group. Out of the entire experience of that character not once did I ever feel bad for what my character was doing because it was just a character in a game. It was not me doing the actions.

I find it strange that people can read about violent murder, and rape in books or see it in cinema and have mild disdain for it, but the moment a game allows the player themselves to do it there is a ton of moral outrage.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 13, 2014 12:17 am

I see this the same as I see Piss Christ.

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 13, 2014 12:19 am

Varangian wrote:
Anita Sarkeesian will probably criticize it for not having a female character option. ;)

The real question is, would she praise it if it was a woman?

:smoke:
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 13, 2014 12:22 am

minininja wrote: But frankly, the gameplay looks shit. Running around massively overpowered, shooting pretty much at random, interspersed with quasi-scripted kill sequences, would get boring very fast. It may be there's more to the game than meets the eye ...

It looks to be a troll, a game designed to get peoples' hackles up.

I am sure they will make a couple of dollars on the people that just 'need to see the controversy', seems that this is the marketing ploy for a shit game.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Mazille » Nov 13, 2014 12:25 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Varangian wrote:

The real question is, would she praise it if it was a woman?

:smoke:

And here I was thinking that among intelligent people this kind of old-hat needling of a person long past their relevance wouldn't happen.

As for the topic: Let them make their shitty game. It'll be a shitty game in the end. A problem arises only when people buy it. See the thread above.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 13, 2014 12:32 am

willhud9 wrote: One of my characters when I played tabletop rpgs with my group was a viking-like barbarian who had a sizable cock, and an appetite for women, especially the young one's. He was a hell of a lot of fun to play especially since I ended up in a group led by a self-righteous paladin.

I at one time was playing a halfling paladin wielding dual katars. :cheers:

-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Death Zebra » Nov 19, 2014 4:07 am

willhud9 wrote:Did my character ever rape anyone during gameplay? Yep. We seiged a town and unbeknownst to my group (but beknownst to my GM) I had raped the High Priests daughter several times before slitting her throat.

How would that work in a tabletop RPG? Did you have to roll a dice each time or something? :shock: :lol:
He must be at least KIND of an arsehole. Why would Superman bite him if he wasn't?
Death Zebra

Print view this post

#18  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 19, 2014 4:23 am

Looks fun.

I'm not a murderer in real life (nor do I want to be) but it's just a game.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby willhud9 » Nov 19, 2014 4:56 am

Death Zebra wrote:
willhud9 wrote:Did my character ever rape anyone during gameplay? Yep. We seiged a town and unbeknownst to my group (but beknownst to my GM) I had raped the High Priests daughter several times before slitting her throat.

How would that work in a tabletop RPG? Did you have to roll a dice each time or something? :shock: :lol:

Nah. It was simply a side role that I made with GM's knowing but not the group's. It was an initiative role and a success role, did I successfully break into the temple, successfully take the high priest's daughter captive and did I successfully rape her. I rolled successes on all and proceeded.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 19, 2014 5:00 am

Pretend-rape for fun.

Yeah, I'm sure that's healthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games