Kerbal Space Program

Indie games seem to be winning

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Kerbal Space Program

#1  Postby Rome Existed » May 13, 2013 11:24 pm

It's a fun game and quite hard. Also funny when things go wrong and your astronauts die.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Kerbal Space Program

#2  Postby Shagz » May 18, 2013 1:43 am

I bought this several months ago on a whim. It's pretty fun. One might look at the cutesy Kerbals and think this is a kid's game, but it's not; it's actually pretty difficult, and kind of realistic, in a way.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Nostalgia » May 24, 2013 11:16 pm

This looks awesome.

But I have severe bandwidth restrictions so indie games are out of bounds for me... In fact, so are most non-indie games these days... :(
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Nostalgia » Jul 15, 2013 9:41 pm

So...

I actually got the game a few weeks ago (downloaded it at work). It's so fun, and yes - very hard. Finally got to the Mun though.
Attachments
Mun.jpg
Mun.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Munchies » Jul 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Wouldn't mind getting it but still to pricey at the moment for an indie game. Will wait till it's on steam sale.
Munchies

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Nostalgia » Sep 06, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm surprised more RatSkepters don't play this game. It's so much fun, and sciency to boot.

Got 3 Kerbals stranded on Mars (or Duna). Their capsule is the only surviving part of a failed landing, and it's hatch is obstructed. Currently in the process of designing my first rover to roll the capsule so they can get out. Then I have to send another Viper Mk 2 on autopilot to go and pick them up. I'm finding it hard to get zero horizontal speed, so I'm not very good at landings yet. :(
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Shagz » Sep 06, 2013 11:36 pm

I just played this for a couple of hours last night, for the first time playing in many months. Messed around with trying to design a space shuttle-like orbiter. Finally got one into orbit, but it crashed upon landing.

I like the new atmospheric reentry effect. Also, I approve of how much more stable rockets are now; before, you had to put shitloads of struts all over the place to keep it from wobbling like crazy.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 27, 2013 9:32 pm

My first space station. Launched in 3 separate parts and constructed in orbit.
Attachments
screenshot1.png
screenshot1.png (599.33 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9  Postby UndeadDinosaur » Dec 05, 2013 12:38 pm

MacIver wrote:My first space station. Launched in 3 separate parts and constructed in orbit.

So far my achievements include...

• establishing eccentric low-Kerbin orbits;
  • numerous launch pad catastrophes;
  • accidentally performing an EVA during reentry;
  • accelerating a capsule containing a crew of 3 to escape velocity, then running out of fuel.

It's one of my favorite games right now.
"This sudden violent streak of yours is curiously . . . stimulating."

[Gaming Blog] | [Fantasy/Sci-Fi Writing] | [Asylum Discharge] | [Loud Music]
UndeadDinosaur

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 05, 2013 12:54 pm

MacIver wrote:I'm surprised more RatSkepters don't play this game. It's so much fun, and sciency to boot.

Got 3 Kerbals stranded on Mars (or Duna). Their capsule is the only surviving part of a failed landing, and it's hatch is obstructed. Currently in the process of designing my first rover to roll the capsule so they can get out. Then I have to send another Viper Mk 2 on autopilot to go and pick them up. I'm finding it hard to get zero horizontal speed, so I'm not very good at landings yet. :(

After playing the demo, which I rather enjoyed, I tried to buy it on Steam during their recent special offer — something around US$19 instead of the usual US$27? Anyway, Steam's credit card processing gave me some crap about being in a different country. I tried buying it by logging in via a web browser and changing the country code, but still no joy. I might just have to shell out the full $27 and buy it on the Kerbal site, if I can. But, wow, it shouldn't be this difficult to pay for a game. I want to pay for this game! Just let me buy it! Ugh!

/rant

ETA

All right, I just purchased a copy through the Kerbal site directly. Yippee!
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shagz » Dec 06, 2013 9:04 am

Because I'm kinda bored, and also painfully dorky, how about we take a Trip to the Mun... just for the hell of it.

Liftoff!
We're keeping it pretty simple; it's just a small lander on a three-stage system consisting of four engines around a central frame for extra stability.

Jeb quips that it rides smoother than his daddy's Kerbillac:

Onto the second stage:

Third stage. Jeb looks happy to reach orbit without blowing up, for once:

Setting a maneuver node to rendezvous with the Mun:

Third stage is spent escaping Kerbin's gravity; now we have only a lander to get there and back:

Landing is not too hard once you realize that you just keep your engines aligned towards the direction you're moving, and don't come in too fast:

We're landing on the dark side; luckily, we brought landing lights:

Uh oh, something is off. We're horizontal, but the light on the starboard side looks different than the port side:

It seems we landed on the side of a massive crater we couldn't see in the darkness. Luckily, the lander stays upright:

Jeb taking in a sunrise on the Mun:

We liftoff and head home without a hitch:

Nine hours later:

Upon reaching Kerbin's atmosphere, we separate the pod from lander:

Hopefully, the lander doesn't land on someone's house:

Parachute deployed. Capsule lands. Mission accomplished.

Thanks for reading. :thumbup:
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby UndeadDinosaur » Dec 07, 2013 10:59 am

Shagz wrote:Because I'm kinda bored, and also painfully dorky, how about we take a Trip to the Mun... just for the hell of it.

Terrific work (by which I mean "play"). :thumbup:
"This sudden violent streak of yours is curiously . . . stimulating."

[Gaming Blog] | [Fantasy/Sci-Fi Writing] | [Asylum Discharge] | [Loud Music]
UndeadDinosaur

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 07, 2013 1:34 pm

So I've built a MASSIVE rover called The Rhino. But I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble attaching it to a rocket. I just don't have a decoupler strong enough to take its weight. I've gone back to the drawing board and I think I'm going to build a huge skycrane for it instead.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Beatsong » Dec 07, 2013 3:15 pm

My 13-year-old son is obsessed with this at the moment. It's pretty much ousted Minecraft as his game of choice - and that's saying something. He's an incorrigible science geek and wants to be a physicist when he grows up, so it looks like a pretty good way to practice some of the thinking involved, and certainly fires his imagination.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shagz » Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Sounds like you have a bright kid with a great future ahead of him.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Beatsong wrote:My 13-year-old son is obsessed with this at the moment. It's pretty much ousted Minecraft as his game of choice - and that's saying something. He's an incorrigible science geek and wants to be a physicist when he grows up, so it looks like a pretty good way to practice some of the thinking involved, and certainly fires his imagination.

When it comes down to it that's all KSP is - a physics sandbox. And it's gained a huge following in the scientific community. Your boy'll probably know of this already but if he doesn't direct him to Scott Manley's Youtube page. He's an astrophysicist who's done lots of KSP tutorials. He's saved many a Kerbal's life in my game. :thumbup:
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#17  Postby JoeB » Dec 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Scott Manley's videos are great! He always has some interesting spaceflight anecdote to add as well :P

Currently I installed the real size earth mod. Getting up to 7.8km/s orbital velocity is hard!
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 10, 2013 2:18 pm

The Rhino Mk 2's maiden voyage.

A large rover is something I've been trying to build for months. Finally settled on this design using a part from a space station parts kit as the main body. Finding a way to get it into space is a pain in the arse. After trying several ways including a slow assent with small engines and a disastrous attempt to get it into orbit on top of a spaceplane I finally settled on seven fusion engines. :grin:

After getting into a vaguely circular orbit a short burst of the engines and I'm en route to the Mun.

Once under the Mun's influence another short burst to reduce my velocity and then time to separate the Rhino from the rocket. Unfortunately I forgot to take screenshots because things got a little tense. I made sure to get the rover's centers of thrust and mass aligned - thus the ugly yellow thing on the end - but it still had the handling of an actual rhino. After five minutes of fierce key hitting I got my self righted and the horizontal velocity down to a few meters per second.

This is a one way trip for the Rhino. I'll need to send one of my maned landers to come and pick up Jebediah.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Shagz » Dec 11, 2013 2:23 am

Nice screenshots.
I'm amazed you were able to keep that thing stable during liftoff. Surely the center of mass is off to one side.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 18, 2013 9:34 am

After a couple of days of mucking around with several designs, I finally got a space plane into a stable orbit. It's single stage. However, I use action groups to toggle power for two normal jets, two turbo jets, and one LV-T45 engine.

Next challenge: see if I can land one of these things. :think:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games