Looking into buying a new gaming rig.

Could use some advice.

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Looking into buying a new gaming rig.

#1  Postby Mazille » Nov 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Well then. Since my laptop isn't ageing particularly well lately - it is six years old, after all - I really need to look into a new machine. I have done some research into gaming laptops but I am severely out of date as far as desktop technology is concerned. I thought you people here could give me a few pointers.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Desktop or Laptop?

Well, I'm generally happy with a laptop and the difference, from what I hear between a desktop PC and a proper DTR gaming laptop isn't as big any more than it used to be. I'm fairly certain I would come away cheaper with a powerful desktop rig vs a notebook, but then there is the fact that I do travel quite a bit and I like gaming on long train trips. I also usually spend my summers abroad at my girlfriend's place, so a laptop would make that a lot easier. Still, the majority of the time I have my laptop set up stationary on my desk.
Would the plus in performance at a similar price range make a huge difference, do you think? Also, keep in mind that I'd have to buy a monitor to go with a good rig as well, so I'm not even sure I'd actually save a lot of money.

Price range?

Originally I was aiming at something along the 1000-1200€ line. No insane price, but fairly powerful, so it would last me about as long as my old laptop here. Especially considering that any laptop or desktop in that price range has either of the new-gen consoles beaten on every level. Typically you'd get a 17,3" Full HD laptop with a spanking new Haswell processor, along the lines of an i7-4700MQ, a small 60-120gig SSD and 750 gig to 1 TB HDD, 12-16 gig of RAM and a Geforce GTX 750m-765m for that kind of money. Maybe a bit less if you barely scratch the 1000€ line. Now that is fairly powerful and will run anything you throw at it. The new Metro or Crysis or some such stuff in Ultra might give it a sweat, but hey. I don't even play that kind of stuff, usually. I would play Planetside 2, or Witcher 3 if I could, though, so not all hardware intensive games are out of the question.

If I chuck in around 200 to 300 €more I could go with a laptop with a GTX 770m and a 240gig SSD + a good 1TB HDD. Top it of with 16+ gig of RAM even. I guess that's pretty future proof right there, isn't it?

Of course, I could also go the whole hog and get me some monstrous machine at around the 1800-1900 price range. I'd probably have to survive on spaghetti and bread for a month, but hey. Anything more than that really is over my budget, though. That would enable me to upgrade to something with a GTX 780m, which is simply the fastest laptop GPU out there.
This here is the cheapest such monster I could find. That is a lot of bang for the buck, I'd say. MSI or XMG machines with the same GPU clock in at another 100-200 bucks extra.
My question is, is the upgrade from a 770m to a 780m really worth that much money? I don't think there's anything out there right now that would make full use of a 780m anyway, but as I said, I want that thing to be future proof.

Further for around that price I could also get an XMG with a 645m SLI setup and a 256 gig SSD. Everything else being equal, as far as I can see. Maybe the quality of the case, etc. will be better too and those dedicated gaming brands do look sleek as all fuck. Downright scary. Apparently a 645m SLI compares to a single 780m performance wise, but then it is an SLI setup and brings the usual microstutters and - depending on the game, maybe - imperfect optimisation, hence lost performance.

So, there you go. In short: Am I completely on the wrong track here and will a desktop of the same price blow a laptop out of the water so hard that the impact will reroute the Gulf Stream? Or is the mobility worth the couple of percent loss in performance? Is it wise to go for a cheaper, yet spec-wise still scary Medion, or should I rather plonk down a hundred quid more and go for a brand like MSI, XMG, or Asus? Is it worth spending that much more money to go from a 770m to a 780m? Or will even a 765m or something do for years to come?

Also, Black Friday sales are coming up and shops like the linked Medion, and other big laptop retailers will be participating. No idea what will go for how little money, since that's something rather new around these parts. Maybe I'll link you guys to some of these offers and ask you for your ideas.
Help me out here, people. Get your thinkmeat in gear.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Looking into buying a new gaming rig.

#2  Postby Weaver » Nov 24, 2013 4:36 pm

When I first read "Gaming rig", I have to admit, I wasn't thinking computers.

More like the image on the right.

Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mazille » Nov 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Well, I am talking about scary hardware, so you weren't that far off. :mrgreen:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 24, 2013 9:05 pm

You have too much time on your hands, eh?
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Nov 24, 2013 10:40 pm

60gig SSD is too small as you will want to install games on it too. In fact, time saved on fast boot and OS will not come anywhere close to time saved due to faster loading times of games for a gamer. Also, lets not forget that advertised size of HD does not correspond to available size. 128gig minimum imo.

8 gig ram is enough for games, maybe even 4 gig, however, for adobe and video stuff use might be different. This is where upgrade-ability comes to play.

For CPU and GFX I would need to do some research. I could tell you a year ago but it moves too fast. http://www.tomshardware.com/ and similar. SLI is for nerds, having two displays for multitasking is not, Haswell is eco-friendly and GFX you need to buy new every year if you want top performance and if not few (measurable) fps here and there will have little to zero impact on enjoyment from playing, in my experience.

Never had one, but gaming notebook sounds pretty good these days, especially with WiDi and Full HD TV.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby Mazille » Nov 24, 2013 11:10 pm

The_Metatron wrote:You have too much time on your hands, eh?

Too little, in fact.

tuco wrote:60gig SSD is too small as you will want to install games on it too. In fact, time saved on fast boot and OS will not come anywhere close to time saved due to faster loading times of games for a gamer. Also, lets not forget that advertised size of HD does not correspond to available size. 128gig minimum imo.

8 gig ram is enough for games, maybe even 4 gig, however, for adobe and video stuff use might be different. This is where upgrade-ability comes to play.

For CPU and GFX I would need to do some research. I could tell you a year ago but it moves too fast. http://www.tomshardware.com/ and similar. SLI is for nerds, having two displays for multitasking is not, Haswell is eco-friendly and GFX you need to buy new every year if you want top performance and if not few (measurable) fps here and there will have little to zero impact on enjoyment from playing, in my experience.

Never had one, but gaming notebook sounds pretty good these days, especially with WiDi and Full HD TV.

:cheers: Cheers. Although GPU and CPU advice would have been most appreciated, since we are in agreement over everything else.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mazille » Nov 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Sooo. Nothing?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Well, mate, my best answer is a PS4, when you can get one.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Matt8819 » Nov 26, 2013 9:44 pm

I got my new gaming laptop for...I think it was about $1400 CAD, and it's pretty awesome. It's an Asus, i7-4700HQ, GTX-765, 12 gig of ram and 2x750 gig HDDs. For that money though, you could probably get a better and a lot easier to upgrade desktop.

The_Metatron wrote:Well, mate, my best answer is a PS4, when you can get one.

Not nearly as good in the long run, though a lot cheaper up front.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ironclad » Nov 26, 2013 10:11 pm

Mazille wrote:Sooo. Nothing?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productli ... roupid=959
The trader above is well known for selling excellent machines, the deals of the week look just up your street, and this machine looks frikkin great. It has 2xSSD and a heafty HDD too. Review.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games