Mass Effect 3 Ending

Spoilers ahead

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending

#221  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am

Tursas wrote:I guess the problem isn't really in the control option itself, but the writing which, while having been pretty consistent throughout the series, suddenly takes a steep dive and, for me, effectively destroys Shepard's character at the finale if he chooses anything other than destroy, no matter if paragon or renegade. :shrug:

Yes. They've improved the endings (by a surprising amount I thought), but they didn't actually fix any of the major problems with them. They aren't incredibly bad anymore, but they are still bad.
"I didn't stop the planes from hitting the buildings, but I left a cross in the rubble. You're welcome." - Yahweh
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#222  Postby Wuffy » Jul 20, 2012 9:49 am

:this:
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#223  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Someone who exorcised their feelings about the ending in a beautiful way:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJ1LYi_tUM[/youtube]
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#224  Postby Varangian » Aug 31, 2012 10:29 pm

The Mass Effect DLC "Leviathan" is available now. Seems to be 2-3 hrs worth of creepiness and underwater action, but with no real impact on the major storyline. I think I'll buy it and see what my third Shepard will make of it.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Aern Rakesh » Sep 01, 2012 6:53 am

Varangian wrote:The Mass Effect DLC "Leviathan" is available now. Seems to be 2-3 hrs worth of creepiness and underwater action, but with no real impact on the major storyline. I think I'll buy it and see what my third Shepard will make of it.

I've seen it. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

For me, I found it quite entertaining, but kind of hard to imagine where would be the best place for it in the story-line of ME3. Coming after the huge emotional impact of all that happens in ME3 I don't think it can possibly have the impact it deserves, if you know what I mean. I felt it suffered on that account, whereas I think it would be different if it had been part of the game from the start.

Still, I did enjoy it.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#226  Postby Wiðercora » Sep 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:Someone who exorcised their feelings about the ending in a beautiful way:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJ1LYi_tUM[/youtube]

Shepard looks remarkably like Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta, post-head shaving.

This got a chuckle out of me:

From here.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Varangian » Sep 08, 2012 1:51 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Varangian wrote:The Mass Effect DLC "Leviathan" is available now. Seems to be 2-3 hrs worth of creepiness and underwater action, but with no real impact on the major storyline. I think I'll buy it and see what my third Shepard will make of it.

For me, I found it quite entertaining, but kind of hard to imagine where would be the best place for it in the story-line of ME3. Coming after the huge emotional impact of all that happens in ME3 I don't think it can possibly have the impact it deserves, if you know what I mean. I felt it suffered on that account, whereas I think it would be different if it had been part of the game from the start.

Still, I did enjoy it.

I've played it now, and it is absolutely best integrated in the game instead of being played after the ending. I would play it after completing Tuchanka or Rannoch, if I do another playthrough. It is a good assignment, with 3-4 hrs worth of gaming and a slightly different take. A couple of locations make it stand out, the sleuthing is a change of pace, and the weapon mods rather useful. The new weapons are meh. A total of 11 War Assets can be found. The expanded background on the Reapers give a bit more depth (about three kilometres of it - you'll see!). It isn't essential, but pretty worth the money and time if one is into the ME universe.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#228  Postby Varangian » Sep 08, 2012 1:54 am

Also, there are enough XP to be had to level a couple of times - nice if you are gunning for level 60.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#229  Postby Sovereign » Sep 08, 2012 2:47 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:

Still, I did enjoy it.

Had the endings been different, i.e not universe ending, the DLC would probably be more appealing but with the ending and there is nothing after the game, the motivation to get it just isn't there.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#230  Postby Panderos » Nov 29, 2012 12:42 am

Ok so I'm a bit behind on this.. the fact that I only finished this game today tells you something about how I feel about Mass Effect.. I find it pretty fun but not amazing, never have. But couldn't resist throwing in my 2 cents on this whole ending controversy, in particular the rationale of the so called god-child. I'm not going to defend the other bits (red green blue / why is Joker on some random planet / what happened to x character / relays exploding.. etc etc). Honestly I'm not into the games enough to care about those things.

So the god-child. Here is my take on his rationale and how it makes sense. It is necessary for the reapers to come to this galaxy (and presumably others) in order to kill organic life, because if they do not, organic life will inevitably create synthetic life which will wipe out all organic life, not just those advanced species. We can assume this is an empirical observation based on thousands of cycles and galaxies. The fact that some kind of peace is made between one particular organic species (Quarians) and one particular type of synthetic (Geth) in extreme circumstances does nothing to change that. That peace could be temporary, or other synthetics may be invented.

Killing the synthetics would not be good enough, as some time afterwards the organics will create new synthetics. Again we can assume this is an empirical observation. It is not unlikely. In a galaxy with many different factions, are they all going to agree to not create synthetics and miss out on the technological, military advantage they provide? Of course not. Even Shepard had EDI. Perhaps the reapers are kept busy in multiple galaxies and cannot afford to go back to each one every 300 years to kill off synthetics, and cannot risk the life in any galaxy getting to the point where they'd stop the reapers and thus doom all organic life in all galaxies. So that is his solution, as he puts it.

I'll admit there are still some questions unanswered with respect to this explanation though.. most importantly why it is necessary to protect organic life in the first place? From their perspective. And who the fuck is this god-child and the reapers and where did they come from anyway?

But in general that explanation does seem to make sense to me, although truth be told I'm a sucker for robot voices speaking pseudo philosophy to awesome music, so maybe I've just been indoctrinated to believe that..

Edit: Haven't yet seen the extended cut endings, will probably watch tomorrow.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#231  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 29, 2012 1:29 am

The Reapers had said in previous games that the reason was unfathomable to an organic mind and then in ME3 it's so easy to understand it makes the Reapers out to be stupid.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#232  Postby Wuffy » Nov 29, 2012 3:04 am

Also... Fact is God child cam from NOWHERE... He was not foreshadowed he wasn't hinted at, he wasn't even fathomed or imagined...

It's poor story telling to have some guy come out of nowhere declare that "haha you suck" and take away all your efforts.

Same as if he had said. "Oh wow, you finally made it, My efforts to give you support and encouragement succeeded, you have now arrived and with your living body you can help me switch of the reapers. Please go over there, and stand by the lightswitch while I do all the hard work and you can flip the switch and all the reapers will go offline. Because we needed a galactic savior..."
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#233  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 29, 2012 4:10 am

In fact it's obvious that they removed much of the plot to get him in there. The game kept going on about Dark Energy in the first two games and then in the 3rd game not a fucking mention. They were going somewhere for 2 games with a plot point and then got rid of it in the final game. Why? Because someone told them that the final game had to be able to be sold to people who wouldn't play a game that was 5 years old (the first Mass Effect). They wanted a self contained story that didn't rely on the previous two games to get a hold of. It was a FUCK YOU! to everyone who bought the first 2 games just so they could get more people to buy the 3rd.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#234  Postby Thommo » Nov 29, 2012 4:39 am

Wuffy wrote:Also... Fact is God child cam from NOWHERE... He was not foreshadowed he wasn't hinted at, he wasn't even fathomed or imagined...

It's poor story telling to have some guy come out of nowhere declare that "haha you suck" and take away all your efforts.

Same as if he had said. "Oh wow, you finally made it,..."

"Sorry, but the catalyst is in another castle".
Thommo

Print view this post

#235  Postby Panderos » Nov 29, 2012 10:21 am

Rome Existed wrote:The Reapers had said in previous games that the reason was unfathomable to an organic mind and then in ME3 it's so easy to understand it makes the Reapers out to be stupid.

I think this thread proves it was right! Ok just joking, yes I'm not defending that aspect. After the first game, which I found quite disappointing, I really wasn't expecting a good explanation for the reapers. One (of the many) things that bothered me in the series was not enough people asking why are they doing this. The world would be full of people with speculative theories, but nobody seemed to pay the matter much attention. Humans crave the answer to questions like that, because subconsciously, or consciously they are hoping if they discover the motivation, they might be able to find a solution. So I assumed this lack of asking was because a lack of any coherent answer. They're just like the Archdemon in Dragon Age - they're evil, end of story, stop asking questions. Based on the first game I'm surprised anyone had any higher expectation than this.

So when they actually gave some explanation that actually kind of makes sense, I was pretty pleased. Note, that is all I'm defending - the reapers motivation explanation. Not the god-child as a story element itself,or any of his alternate solutions (I don't get why 'destroy' is an option since he says himself we'll only create more synthetics later, if 'control' is an option then there can't be other galaxies that need seeing to which means the reapers could have just stayed and ruled us to prevent us robot apocalypsing ourselves and if synthesis is an option he really should have thought of that earlier).
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#236  Postby Tursas » Nov 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Panderos wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:The Reapers had said in previous games that the reason was unfathomable to an organic mind and then in ME3 it's so easy to understand it makes the Reapers out to be stupid.

I think this thread proves it was right! Ok just joking, yes I'm not defending that aspect. After the first game, which I found quite disappointing, I really wasn't expecting a good explanation for the reapers. One (of the many) things that bothered me in the series was not enough people asking why are they doing this. The world would be full of people with speculative theories, but nobody seemed to pay the matter much attention. Humans crave the answer to questions like that, because subconsciously, or consciously they are hoping if they discover the motivation, they might be able to find a solution. So I assumed this lack of asking was because a lack of any coherent answer. They're just like the Archdemon in Dragon Age - they're evil, end of story, stop asking questions. Based on the first game I'm surprised anyone had any higher expectation than this.

It was explained in the first game. We were their cattle; they were rearing us and then harvesting us for resources. I found it sufficient and a quite interesting analogy to our own system of animal husbandry.

eta: The first game made me think about all the animals we humans have subjugated. How blissfully oblivious they are, living in spaces we appoint to them, and in ways we allow them to, until they reach a point where we can use them for our own purposes. Now, what if there were, somewhere out there, intelligences that are in fact doing the exact same thing with us, even now?

That's why the Reapers seemed interesting to me in the first game. How the heck are we going to stop them if we are cows and they our masters? That would've been enough reason for me. No need for this convoluted and absurd star child nonsense.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#237  Postby Varangian » Nov 29, 2012 11:42 pm

It has been said that ME is heavily influenced by the Revelation Space novels by Alastair Reynolds, and having read two of them, the similarities in the backstory are obvious. The motivations of the Inhibitors are murky at first, and their methods quite drastic from our point of view. I guess the effect is pretty much like that experienced by an ant colony being cleared out...

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#238  Postby Wuffy » Nov 30, 2012 12:03 am

Tursas wrote:
Panderos wrote:

It was explained in the first game. We were their cattle; they were rearing us and then harvesting us for resources. I found it sufficient and a quite interesting analogy to our own system of animal husbandry.

eta: The first game made me think about all the animals we humans have subjugated. How blissfully oblivious they are, living in spaces we appoint to them, and in ways we allow them to, until they reach a point where we can use them for our own purposes. Now, what if there were, somewhere out there, intelligences that are in fact doing the exact same thing with us, even now?

That's why the Reapers seemed interesting to me in the first game. How the heck are we going to stop them if we are cows and they our masters? That would've been enough reason for me. No need for this convoluted and absurd star child nonsense.

That's right. I'd completely forgotten about that after being force fed garbage plot and nonsense.

It was a pretty good explanation too. It was interesting. "We will be over here napping, you go make us some tasty tasty technology treats for when we come back."
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#239  Postby Panderos » Nov 30, 2012 10:53 am

Tursas wrote:
Panderos wrote:

Hmm I don't remember that explanation but I definitely prefer the 'starchild' one. As someone said above, I thought ME1 left us with the 'humans could not comprehend it' explanation. Harvesting us for our 'resources' makes little sense. What could we have that such an advanced civilisation can't come by another way? Biological matter? You can get that everywhere, and you could also farm it if you wanted to. What they do is more akin to hunter-gathering. Basically just hoping that suitable prey will evolve by itself. I'm glad that the game made you see eating meat in a different light but it's kind of sad people can't do this reversal in their head by themselves.

IMO the starchild explantion is both more original and makes more sense.
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Wuffy » Nov 30, 2012 11:02 am

No no, the point wasn't the bio material. that was from ME2.

What they harvested was high end technology.

That was the point of the remnants of civilisation left behind, to guide the development of technology, and use the young races to create the refined technological material into the right forms of technology to then harvest that material. Potentially to create more Reapers.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games