18242582.jpg (88.86 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending

#242  Postby Panderos » Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Wuffy wrote:No no, the point wasn't the bio material. that was from ME2.

What they harvested was high end technology.

That was the point of the remnants of civilisation left behind, to guide the development of technology, and use the young races to create the refined technological material into the right forms of technology to then harvest that material. Potentially to create more Reapers.

So they are 'harvesting' technology from less technologically developed races? By killing the individuals and sucking them into giant robots? None of that makes any sense.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Panderos » Nov 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Wuffy wrote::roll:
18242582.jpg

Some organics =/= all organics. They only kill organics capable of creating synthetics. Other organics, such as humans when the reapers came 50,000 years ago, are left alone. Their protection is the purpose of the reaper invasion.
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Tursas » Nov 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Panderos wrote:Hmm I don't remember that explanation but I definitely prefer the 'starchild' one. As someone said above, I thought ME1 left us with the 'humans could not comprehend it' explanation. Harvesting us for our 'resources' makes little sense. What could we have that such an advanced civilisation can't come by another way? Biological matter? You can get that everywhere, and you could also farm it if you wanted to. What they do is more akin to hunter-gathering. Basically just hoping that suitable prey will evolve by itself.

It wasn't specified what exactly they used us for. Perhaps that is what we wouldn't comprehend, so you are just assuming biological matter. Similar overly assuming questions can be applied to the star child scenario as well: if they just want to preserve life, why don't they plant a garden, kill everything else and be done with it?

I'm glad that the game made you see eating meat in a different light but it's kind of sad people can't do this reversal in their head by themselves.

I didn't say it made me see eating meat in a different light (and your condescending provocation to meat-eaters is noted), I said I found it interesting that if we can subjugate species and keep them blissfully obvious, what is to say another intelligence can't do it with us?

IMO the starchild explantion is both more original and makes more sense.

Right... If they want to preserve biological life, why not kill everything else and plant a garden? Much easier.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Panderos » Nov 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Tursas wrote:
It wasn't specified what exactly they used us for. Perhaps that is what we wouldn't comprehend, so you are just assuming biological matter. Similar overly assuming questions can be applied to the star child scenario as well: if they just want to preserve life, why don't they plant a garden, kill everything else and be done with it?

I assumed they didn't mean 'any biological life at all' but significant amount of it. In a 'the more biological life we preserve the better' kind of way. But yes, this is not explained by the starchild. Someone said it's technology they were harvesting, that doesn't make sense either. That would be like us invading the Victorians for their technology.

I didn't say it made me see eating meat in a different light (and your condescending provocation to meat-eaters is noted), I said I found it interesting that if we can subjugate species and keep them blissfully obvious, what is to say another intelligence can't do it with us?

You seem to have reversed the direction of your reasoning here. Before ME made you think about us subjugating species and now 'if we can subjugate..whats to say other's can't'. If ME made you think differently about how we treat other species then I think what I said before stands. If its 'if we can subjugate... whats to say others can't' then what did ME teach you?
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#246  Postby Tursas » Nov 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Panderos wrote:You seem to have reversed the direction of your reasoning here. Before ME made you think about us subjugating species and now 'if we can subjugate..whats to say other's can't'. If ME made you think differently about how we treat other species then I think what I said before stands. If its 'if we can subjugate... whats to say others can't' then what did ME teach you?

I never said ME made me think differently about how we treat other species or that ME "taught" me anything. That's your misreading of my post. I said I found the analogy humans : cattle -- reapers : humans in the premise of ME1 interesting.

Tursas wrote:The first game made me think about all the animals we humans have subjugated. [...] Now, what if there were, somewhere out there, intelligences that are in fact doing the exact same thing with us, even now?

Tursas wrote:I said I found it interesting that if we can subjugate species and keep them blissfully obvious, what is to say another intelligence can't do it with us?
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Panderos » Nov 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Ahh, it made you think about the animals we have subjugated but did not make you think differently about the animals we have subjugated. Ok!

As to the rationale of the reapers, perhaps I was less impressed with the 'farming' idea because I've seen it before. The Wraith in Stargate Atlantis had similar motivations, and there's no doubt many 50s B movies with aliens with such simple motivations as wanting to eat us or steal our resources. But I always find it very hard to believe that we would have anything that such advanced civilisations would want. The universe is no doubt full of planets with far more natural resources than our own. And as for organic life, surely flying to distant planets is not the best way to get that and even if it is, what possible benefit could there be of farming organic life for ones so advanced?

I think it is actually pretty difficult for writers to come up with any remotely plausible reason that aliens would want to kill us and most reasons given turn out to be wafer thin. But here the starchild actually gave a pretty decent and original answer. Not perfect, there are definitely still questions to be answered, but for a video game? Pretty good. Shame they only seemed to think of it half way through making the third game in the series.
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#248  Postby Varangian » Nov 30, 2012 10:36 pm

The Leviathan DLC provide answers that make the whole backstory more logical. From the Mass Effect Wikia (massive spoilers!):

The early history of the Leviathans is completely unknown, but it is speculated by Task Force Aurora that they evolved on an unknown planet that also produced at least one other sapient species. The Leviathans developed the ability to communicate with and dominate land-based sapient species to serve their purposes.

Eventually, the Leviathans utilized this thrall species' civilization to achieve spaceflight and spread throughout the galaxy, despite their immense size and aquatic nature. Every new species they encountered was enthralled to serve them and provide "tribute", and in return, the thralls were cared for and protected. With their dominance assured, Leviathans considered themselves the galaxy's apex race. Over time, however, they observed that their thralls would frequently build synthetic intelligences to aid them; these synthetics consistently rebelled, wiping out many thrall species. In response, the Leviathans created an Intelligence with the mandate to preserve life at all costs.

The Leviathans failed to perceive the Intelligence as a threat; they considered it nothing more than another tool to achieve a set goal. As the Intelligence sought out the means to fulfill its mandate, it created an army of pawns that were dispatched to collect genetic data from species throughout the galaxy, much like the Collectors employed by the Reapers in modern times. Eventually, the Intelligence came to the conclusion that the Leviathans themselves were part of the problem, and turned against them.

The Intelligence's betrayal of its creators was sudden and devastating. Its pawns slaughtered most of the Leviathans, using their genetic material to create the very first Reaper, Harbinger, who was physically designed after the Leviathans themselves. The surviving Leviathans went into hiding, while the Intelligence used Harbinger to begin the cyclical harvest of the galaxy's species to create more Reapers, all in an effort to solve the problem of preserving life. While the Leviathans acknowledged their creation's betrayal and did not wish to be driven to extinction, they believed the Intelligence was still fulfilling its purpose.

As the Leviathans hid, they surreptitiously enthralled subsequent species to erase the remaining evidence of their existence. Resigned to the Reapers' reign, they focused their efforts on ensuring the survival of their species, watching the galaxy through organic "artifacts" for signs of their discovery. Though they had the power to destroy Reapers, demonstrated when they killed the Leviathan of Dis, the Leviathans declined to aid the galaxy's species against the Reapers.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Aern Rakesh » Dec 01, 2012 7:31 am

Have any of you played the Omega dlc yet, and what did you think? I 'gifted' it to two of the guys who have done ME Let's Plays on YT so am waiting to see their versions...
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#250  Postby Aern Rakesh » Dec 09, 2012 9:56 am

And it appears that there's another story dlc coming as well...

http://www.examiner.com/article/next-ma ... s-revealed
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#251  Postby Aern Rakesh » Dec 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Don't know if any of you have seen the MEHEM (Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod)? My avatar says it all...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmthUTzQp_s[/youtube]
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#252  Postby Varangian » Dec 31, 2012 10:58 am

I watched it, read some comments on gaming fora (including those by the creator), and is still a bit conflicted about it. In my last playthroughs, I've picked the EC "Control" ending, which is the "happiest" in regards to the greater good plus keeping the organics and synthetics unique. The MEHEM ending appears to still result in galaxy-wide destruction, with travel via the relays severely hampered. In the end, it is a rather selfish choice by a character who has risked his/her life(s) during years of combat to save the galaxy, knowing that the ultimate sacrifice might have to be made (that might not be the view of a renegade Shep, though).

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Aern Rakesh » Dec 31, 2012 11:05 am

Varangian wrote:I watched it, read some comments on gaming fora (including those by the creator), and is still a bit conflicted about it. In my last playthroughs, I've picked the EC "Control" ending, which is the "happiest" in regards to the greater good plus keeping the organics and synthetics unique. The MEHEM ending appears to still result in galaxy-wide destruction, with travel via the relays severely hampered. In the end, it is a rather selfish choice by a character who has risked his/her life(s) during years of combat to save the galaxy, knowing that the ultimate sacrifice might have to be made (that might not be the view of a renegade Shep, though).

Well as you know I can't play it, so I don't know how one would choose the MEHEM ending. From what I could see the MEHEM ending bypasses the whole scene with the StarChild, so how would that be a selfish choice on Shepard's part? In fact it seems more like he/she just collapses and it is someone else who makes the choice to rescue him/her?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Varangian » Dec 31, 2012 11:57 am

Well, there's that of course. The Crucible works, the effects not really known when Shep pushes the button ("Ctrl-F-U", as someone put it), the whole choice thing bypassed. Seen that way, it isn't an optimal ending, but less contrived than the Starchild thing. I retract my reservation, as I wrote it with 20/20 hindsight, which is nothing Shep enjoys. I wonder if the mod works together with "Leviathan" now, and if all love interests are covered; it would be fun to download it just to see the surprise on the face of my son when Shep faces the music...

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#255  Postby Aern Rakesh » Dec 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Varangian wrote:Well, there's that of course. The Crucible works, the effects not really known when Shep pushes the button ("Ctrl-F-U", as someone put it), the whole choice thing bypassed. Seen that way, it isn't an optimal ending, but less contrived than the Starchild thing. I retract my reservation, as I wrote it with 20/20 hindsight, which is nothing Shep enjoys. I wonder if the mod works together with "Leviathan" now, and if all love interests are covered; it would be fun to download it just to see the surprise on the face of my son when Shep faces the music...

So did you actually install the MEHEM mod?

I have to tell you. I've had a really bad year, health wise. Turns out after my hip op in February I've been badly anaemic...for reasons too boring to go into. And it was only discovered recently, so only NOW am I getting iron, but I also have to have all these horrible tests (just to cover all the bases). And I was feeling incredibly dispirited, until I stumbled on the video I posted above. And boy...it was like I was born again! Seriously. It made it possible for me to do some things that I really couldn't face before that.

So I've become a born-again Shepardist. :smile:
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#256  Postby Varangian » Dec 31, 2012 2:08 pm

I haven't installed it; I'm in the first quarter of another ME2 playthrough. I'm considering it, though; thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. If it took just that vid to cheer you up, it might be time to petition the Vatican for canonizing Saint Shepard, (s)he who returned from the dead and delivered us all. Or will. ;)

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Aern Rakesh » Dec 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Varangian wrote:I haven't installed it; I'm in the first quarter of another ME2 playthrough. I'm considering it, though; thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. If it took just that vid to cheer you up, it might be time to petition the Vatican for canonizing Saint Shepard, (s)he who returned from the dead and delivered us all. Or will. ;)

Seriously. In that moment I totally understood how the 'born again' experience can trump any rational argument. :smile:

I'm not sure how you'd install the mod, but I'm sure there will be places you can find out how.

Who are you playing as this time through?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#258  Postby Varangian » Jan 01, 2013 1:07 am

I'm playing another FemShep, Zoë Shepard. She's slightly more renegade than my usual Sheps, and more prone to violent solutions and bitchy comments, but basically one of the good gals. I'm not sacrificing party members just for the opportunity to play an asshole.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jan 01, 2013 7:50 am

Very attractive! I saw a marathon streamed ME event (all 3 games played over the course of a week) this summer where the guy played an über-evil femshep who was just determined to get everyone killed. It was painful to watch.

However considering how much pressure she's under, a little renegade action is totally understandable.

I myself sometimes choose the renegade interrupt on this forum. :angel:
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#260  Postby Varangian » Jan 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:Very attractive!

Thanks! Here's a pic from ME2:

That lipstick goes perfectly with the black armour. ;)

Nora_Leonard wrote:I saw a marathon streamed ME event (all 3 games played over the course of a week) this summer where the guy played an über-evil femshep who was just determined to get everyone killed. It was painful to watch.

Yeah, I think that style of play is counter to what the game is about, and I wouldn't spend 120+ hrs being a total dick just for the lulz. But to each their own, I guess.

Nora_Leonard wrote:However considering how much pressure she's under, a little renegade action is totally understandable.

She started out ruthless, but tends to accumulate more paragon than renegade points, albeit at a slower rate than my other Shepards.

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games