Mass Effect 3 Ending

Spoilers ahead

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Mass Effect 3 Ending

#1  Postby Sovereign » Mar 14, 2012 2:38 pm

I liked ME3 and thought it was a good game. One thing that got me was the ending.

None of the endings were happy. When I beat the game, I felt as if someone had pulled out all my emotions as I felt blank. Well they ended the series that's for sure. I'm not with many of the angry gamers demanding a new ending be provided in the DLC as I think that this game was meant to be a tragedy from the get go and while the endings didn't make me happy, I can appreciate the finality of how they ended the game. Never have I had an ending to a game stop me in my tracks like this. Do you think they should have kept the mass relays and Shepherd alive?

How did you all react to the ending?
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending

#2  Postby Thommo » Mar 14, 2012 6:35 pm

The ending is fine as long as you switch off your computer or console when Anderson dies.

If you don't make this key choice you get mired in some complete non sequitur metaphysical bollocks. To be fair, perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised having noticed a much greater influence of religion in this game, with an almost constant string of references to the afterlife, God and so forth throughout the game, in very stark contrast to how religion is treated in the first game - just look at the way Ashley is pleasantly surprised if you don't instantly laugh in her face for believing in God.

ETA: Just watched the "indoctrination theory" youtube vid someone linked in the other thread. Normally I hate these fan based convoluted explanations, but for the first time ever I am seriously hoping they canonise this one, it's a hundred times better than the shit that made it into the game. :lol:
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 14, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm willing to bet, as I've said before, that they had 100000 different endings planned and were working on them when EA said, "You have a week. Choose 1 ending and stick it in the game," and they chose the one that was easiest to do.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Mar 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Rome Existed wrote:I'm willing to bet, as I've said before, that they had 100000 different endings planned and were working on them when EA said, "You have a week. Choose 1 ending and stick it in the game," and they chose the one that was easiest to do.

You could well be right. It's like they did this with a family of endings like the silent hill games had, then took out the "good", "bad" and "normal" endings, but left in the weird easter egg "LOL IT WAS ALL A DREAM" ending. :what:

Also kinda odd that there's no boss.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby Xaeryx » Mar 14, 2012 8:49 pm

The ending was terrible. BioWare said that all the choices we made in the game would radically alter how it turns out, but nothing matters in the end because everyone gets the same three choices.

Played a good guy who did all the paragon options and united old enemies? A, B or C.
Played a tough renegade who did what had to be done to stop the Reapers? A, B or C.
Rushed through the main plot without gaining significant war assets? A, B or C.

What makes it worse is the fact that all three endings are basically the same. The Citadel and mass relays get destroyed, completely screwing over galactic infrastructure for many years. Countless ships are stuck at Earth, which is already low on resources after being ravaged by the Reapers. The Normandy gets stranded on an alien world because for some obscure reason Joker abandons you and leaves through the Sol relay, magically taking all your squadmates with him. Tali and Garrus are stuck on that same world, and their dextro-amino biology implies they might starve to death because of lack of suitable food.

Many of us invested a lot of time and emotion into the series, only to be slapped in the face in the last 10 minutes because all of it was for nothing. No closure. Just a magical space rainbow beam and Buzz Aldrin talking to some kid. Oh and the Reapers' motives are the icing on the cake - "we annihilate organic life to stop them from creating machines that will annihilate organic life!"

I greatly enjoyed the game up until the final moments. As far as I'm concerned, the game ended when Shepard got onto that elevator. The rest of it is my own headcanon.
Xaeryx

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Xaeryx wrote:Oh and the Reapers' motives are the icing on the cake - "we annihilate organic life to stop them from creating machines that will annihilate organic life!"

MacIver wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if in ME it turned out that the Reaper's long term plan is in fact benevolent and that they are doing this for our own good for some reason we can't envision as in Revelation Space.

Hmm. :think:

For some reason I feel vindicated. :smug:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Sovereign » Mar 15, 2012 2:10 am

Ya the reaper logic killed me as well. You still are killing all organic life, just over millions of years instead of thousands or hundreds. I was thinking if I did paragon the whole time that there would be an option to negotiate with the Reapers using the Geth/Quarian cease fire as proof. Nope, but I'm curious how they can make DLC for this game after this ending. You can't do anything in the universe anymore and they were talking about spinoffs? Yeah...

The Prothean DLC is not major in any way.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 15, 2012 2:53 am

DLCs can add more content to the body of the game. They could also add DLCs that add more content to the body and lead to different endings.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby UtilityMonster » Mar 15, 2012 5:24 am

I have this game unopened sitting near my xbox. I'm seriously thinking about just returning it after reading this shit.
The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
UtilityMonster

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 15, 2012 8:37 am

Don't. The game is awesome.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thommo » Mar 15, 2012 10:43 am

Rome Existed wrote:Don't. The game is awesome.

Yeah, I loved it for 40hours, then despised it for 4mins at the end. It's a shit ending, but it's still an awesome game in all other respects.
Thommo

Print view this post

#12  Postby Aern Rakesh » Mar 15, 2012 11:26 am

Thommo wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:Don't. The game is awesome.

Yeah, I loved it for 40hours, then despised it for 4mins at the end. It's a shit ending, but it's still an awesome game in all other respects.

I agree, and I didn't even play the games, I just watched 40 hours worth of videos!

My reason for hating the ending is (on top of all the reasons given above about it being metaphysical, and just way too 'high concept' for the series as a whole) there is just no emotional catharsis. Live or die one has to be able to feel for Shepard and the crew, after all the time we spent becoming emotionally attached and invested in them (assuming one does). I mean who didn't feel incredibly sad when Thane dies? Or when Mordin sacrifices himself?

All through ME3 Shepard suffers emotional anguish for what he/she is seeing. I'm still watching a femshep walkthrough and this morning I watched the episode where Primarch Victus's son sacrifices himself to disable the bomb on the krogan homeworld. Afterwards, in the shuttle, Shepard is visibly upset but then at the end of the game, what, no-one mourns Shepard? Assuming she/he is actually dead?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Aern Rakesh » Mar 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Thommo wrote:
ETA: Just watched the "indoctrination theory" youtube vid someone linked in the other thread. Normally I hate these fan based convoluted explanations, but for the first time ever I am seriously hoping they canonise this one, it's a hundred times better than the shit that made it into the game. :lol:

I'm not sure which particular YT video you're talking about, but I saw one as well and I thought it made much more sense, especially with the 'renegade' ending where Shepard wakes up on earth. When Shepard touches the beacon on Eden Prime in the first game he is seemingly transformed so that he can 'see' things that others don't. This is particularly noticeable in From the Ashes, when he can 'read' through the static even when Liara can't.

It also makes sense to me that nobody but Shepardsees the boy (i.e. Harbinger) in the beginning. Nobody helps the boy onto the shuttle, which just doesn't seem right.

Anyway, we can but hope there is some kind of response from Bioware, something that allows the fans to have some kind of emotional closure.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Aern Rakesh » Mar 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Bioware has actually invited fan feedback on their forum here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... ex/9992961

I'm only on page 2 of the comments, but this is my favourite so far:

One of my favourite games of all time! Loved the first 99.9% of the game.

The ending made me want to microwave the disc & feed it to a goat.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Thommo » Mar 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I read some interviews with the lead designer earlier, where he was trying to paint the discussion going on over the ending as some kind of success - "I didn’t want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people–debating what the endings mean and what’s going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in. That to me is part of what’s exciting about this story. There has always been a little bit of mystery there and a little bit of interpretation, and it’s a story that people can talk about after the fact."

All I could help thinking is that's trying to paint black as white. The reaction from fans hasn't been polar, it's been unidirectional - the ending is shit. I really doubt that the writers were aiming for "shit", so this explanation just left me facepalming.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Aern Rakesh » Mar 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Thommo wrote:I read some interviews with the lead designer earlier, where he was trying to paint the discussion going on over the ending as some kind of success - "I didn’t want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people–debating what the endings mean and what’s going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in. That to me is part of what’s exciting about this story. There has always been a little bit of mystery there and a little bit of interpretation, and it’s a story that people can talk about after the fact."

All I could help thinking is that's trying to paint black as white. The reaction from fans hasn't been polar, it's been unidirectional - the ending is shit. I really doubt that the writers were aiming for "shit", so this explanation just left me facepalming.

Yes, I've seen that. That was Casey Hudson. Although if you read the comments on that thread I linked to, they are so heartfelt by the fans and virtually all of them say "and everything I've just raved about was spoiled by the ending." So they're going to have a really hard time spinning that.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 16, 2012 10:15 am

Well, it seems official. The ending(s) they put into ME3 were what they wanted during the entire ME3 cycle even though all along they promised that the choices made in all 3 games would create very different endings and possibly allow you to lose. That was all a marketing lie it seems. It turns out that they decided that they wanted everyone to experience the same ending even going to the extreme of removing a lot of dialogue options from the end so that it flowed exactly how they wanted it to go.

A lot of more unhappy fans on the Mass Effect 3 official forums now.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Aern Rakesh » Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am

Excellent exposition of the indoctrination theory. Whether they (i.e. BW) intended this particular ending to be interpreted that way is yet to be seen...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbghjn7_Byc[/youtube]
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby SPMaximus » Mar 18, 2012 3:20 am

:coffee:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus