Mass Effect series

general thread about the games

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Mass Effect series

#61  Postby Wuffy » Apr 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Just finished ME3... Yeah I know about the ending. Fuckitall. I got sick of the sidequests after finishing Thessia.. What the flying fuck kind of fight was that. You lose, you lose, you lose, Oh he crouches his shields comes back and a Gunship you can't target appears (I think I've destroyed 10 of those just in ME2 alone..) But no this one just blows you away as long as you survive the fight, he wins and walks away with the VI.. yay... What? I was sick of boss fights you had to win just to watch a Cut scene of you Losing when I played Devil May Cry.

I enjoyed the power combos. (Adept!) Pull and throw were my mainstay because they had shortest power cooldown penalty. Shockwave has always been lackluster because there's never been enough bag guys pressed together for it to be worth anything.

The number of bad guys with Shields/Armor layering was highly annoying, since that nukes most of your power potency, especially as soon as you've done all the effort to peel both of those from then they are then tissue paper thin that your companions pop them in a couple of bullets.

I'm with @OnkelCannabia I like ME1 independent power management. Nothing more annoying then all your abilities being locked out because of your 1 slow recharge power.

I also noticed a LOT more time is spent sitting back watching animated cutscenes or scripted events you can not interact with at all in ME3 Only 2 fights really stick out as tough in my mind, the Twin thumpers on Tuchanka, I ended up stomped under reaper foot way too many times before noticing the telltale shadow, and I gave up trying to kill the brutes, just ran past them from one button to the other.

The other was near the end defending the missiles, also just getting swarmed by a lot of 'tough' bad guys between the Banshee's and brutes my lonely Adept with only a pistol and SMG was wondering how in the crazy hell was she supposed to survive (Thank you forward thinking in buying Armor piercing as an extra power)

Javik by far was the most boring/annoying person to talk to. (Didn't help his quarters smoke effect turned my shepards hair see through)

Anyway, the only Enjoyable thing about the whole game really was the Tuchanka missions and Rannoch, and following through with the romance, it was nice and heartwarming... the rest of it was very.. Meh.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Thommo » Apr 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Wuffy wrote:The number of bad guys with Shields/Armor layering was highly annoying, since that nukes most of your power potency, especially as soon as you've done all the effort to peel both of those from then they are then tissue paper thin that your companions pop them in a couple of bullets.

Don't you have warp and throw as adept?
Thommo

Print view this post

#63  Postby Wuffy » Apr 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes I do, But warp took a smidge off and totally FAILS against a Banshee barrier for some reason, it took me a good 5-6 warps per brute to put them down, but throw and pull did 1 or two bars of the shield on the troopers, which meant more often then not I took bullets to the face.

So all the shielded/Barriered characters were immune to my throws, pulls, warps, singularity's until I could pop the shields, but once the shield was gone it was another bullet or two to drop them ANYWAY. I mostly wandered around with Garrus and Kaiden both with superpowered Overloads just to break shields.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Thommo » Apr 01, 2012 4:46 pm

warp->throw = biotic explosion, spec the damage of explosions to max (this means they both need to be rank 6 and all explosion talents taken) and minimise the CDs. It's insane ranged AOE dps that works on every enemy, banshees included.

If you only have low ranks of the powers, the explosions will deal a lot less damage.
Thommo

Print view this post

#65  Postby Wuffy » Apr 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Good to know if I ever go back to that game.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Sovereign » Apr 06, 2012 12:48 am

I just used overload on the sheilds then stasis warped combed them into oblivion.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Tursas » Apr 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Tursas wrote:I just imported a save into ME3 that had the worst possible decisions deliberately made in ME1 and 2, will see how it plays (after finishing with my own paragon goodie already).

Played this guy for a bit. Some ME3 spoilers:
The dead crewmates and such are simply not there, or are in some cases replaced by differently-named representatives of the same species, who perform the same function story-wise. This works out fine in some cases, but feels cheap in others: the Rachni queen quest plays out exactly the same whether you killed her or not in ME1, she is just re-named into a "cloned" Rachni queen if you killed her, and the only difference is that instead of giving War Assets, she costs you them if you free her. :doh:

I tried for the worst possible outcome in Tuchanka, but may have failed somehow. I didn't reveal the sabotage, didn't cure the genophage, but still got a 300-strong Krogan support with the 185-something Salarian fleet. I read that if Wrex is alive, unlike Wreav, he will notice the sabotage in the cure later and you will lose (?) the Krogan support. So saving Wrex in ME1 might actually be the worse decision in the long run if you plan ahead. :whistle:

Anyway, I had the opportunity of gunning down Kaidan after failing to convince him I wasn't working for Cerberus. Now to ruin things between the Quarians and the Geth. Which will live? Probably the Quarians, as they are assholes.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Thommo » Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Surely,

Saving the geth then choosing the ending that destroys synthetics would be even worse, since you've wiped out both races in their entirety then? :lol:
Thommo

Print view this post

#69  Postby Tursas » Apr 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Good point. I should take that into account.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#70  Postby OnkelCannabia » Apr 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Thommo wrote:Surely,

Saving the geth then choosing the ending that destroys synthetics would be even worse, since you've wiped out both races in their entirety then? :lol:

lol

BTW: If Mordin died in ME2 you get this scene I've just found on youtube:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AqcRHVQ7U[/youtube]

Edit: let's see if you can do worse than this guy:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/347/index/10776572/1
OnkelCannabia

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Kerolm » Apr 13, 2012 1:36 pm

I don't see how the indoctrination theory could be correct. If it was the prothean VI would have made it abundantly clear.
Kerolm

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby OnkelCannabia » Apr 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Kerolm wrote:I don't see how the indoctrination theory could be correct. If it was the prothean VI would have made it abundantly clear.

Well, the official explanation is that Shepard wasn't fully indoctrinated at that time, so the VI didn't detect it.
Personally, I don't even bother with IT. It's just basic pattern recognition and confirmation bias. Can't be arsed.
OnkelCannabia

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Okay...

As promised, I went back to play ME2 to give it another chance. And once again, I couldn't finish it. Story wise it is a good game overall despite as I have previously mentioned being a rip off of Revelation Space- the universe building is in depth and extensive . The design is great and by far the best part of the game.

But that's were the good stuff ends. The gameplay is repetitive and boring, and that's me being kind. There is no excitement and very little strategy involved. The levels are too static and the fact that in this day and age there can be computer games made where your characters can't fucking jump is ridiculous in my opinion. The conversations feel strained and unrealistic. Particularly when something like this turns up: "I did some work on Planet X" then immediately after: "Tell me what work you did on Planet X". Which is about every two minutes. Most of the voice acting is good and goes some way to rectifying the bad writing, but the male Shepard is a wooden as the trees in my garden.

I've come to the conclusion that the Mass Effect games are not computer games. They are interactive movies. And they are not very good one's at that...

I honestly cannot grasp why these games are so popular. :dunno:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Wuffy » Apr 14, 2012 4:51 pm

SO Jumping would have made the game better for your?

Just saying Jumping is not an absolute required part of the game, they added some jumping into Mass Effect 3 but it's only long leaps over empty spaces, makes some of the pathfinding and navigating around certain maps more interesting.

Honestly I'd rather not have jumping at all rather then being able to bunny hop everywhere for no reason. Like in WoW, or Zelda, no problem in Zelda since it's such an odd world, but anything that tries to pretend it's realistic with limited run stamina etc.. being able to jump up and down all over the place all the time seems ridiculous. Plus in your daily life, How often do you actually jump?

Trouble with adding Jump as a feature, then you add a whole other layer of needing to recognise ALL kinds of things where you can land said jump. It's an acceptable break from reality to me.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 15, 2012 12:59 am

Jumping was only one small part of my problem with the game, which in itself was an example of the static-ness and lack of fluidity of the game world. :smug:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Wuffy » Apr 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Fair enough. If you don't like it fine, was just pointing out that picking on the not jumping is a little, well, nitpicky. I enjoyed it because it was a great big open space to wander around in and explore and was very 'cinematic' more like you said an interactive movie, but didn't see it take away from gameplay too much.
I didn't really realise that the reason I enjoyed Mass Effect so much was because it was much more Talky/Techy style of Sci fi then run n gun.

Wander around tracking down distress signals etc..
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#77  Postby OnkelCannabia » Apr 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Wuffy wrote:Talky/Techy

I wonder where you got that from :ask:
OnkelCannabia

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Wuffy » Apr 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Nabbed from a rather interesting Video discussing the 'ending'.

Discussing parallels between Mass Effect 1 and Star Trek, and how the whole section the citadel after Eden Prime is going back and forth talking and listening to people solving problems without a gun.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs[/youtube]
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#79  Postby OnkelCannabia » Apr 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Yes, that was the joke. It was rather obvious you had seen that video, so that was what I was alluding to.
OnkelCannabia

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Wuffy » Apr 15, 2012 8:08 pm

I figured, but just in case. ;)

It's nice to have those deep things you want to express be set out by someone else very eloquently.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games