Mass Effect series

general thread about the games

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Mass Effect series

#1  Postby SPMaximus » Mar 15, 2012 10:06 am

cause it is an amazing series of games... except for the last 10 minutes :smoke:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeY-2ovpF9c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1AHAieJmLM[/youtube]

soooo... Bioware went with a crappy stock image and used it as Tali's face:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

personally i think something like this would have been much cooler:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the index says they resemble humans (you know, except for 3 fingers/toes instead of 5)
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Mass Effect series

#2  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 15, 2012 10:18 am

Probably the greatest series in computer/video game history.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 15, 2012 10:21 am

What the fuck is with all the ME threads? It's a mediocre game with an unoriginal storyline and a poor and un-engaging interface and fighting system. The first one left me unmoved, I could only play a couple of hours of the second and I'll probably never bother with the third.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SPMaximus » Mar 15, 2012 10:34 am

MacIver wrote:What the fuck is with all the ME threads? It's a mediocre game with an unoriginal storyline and a poor and un-engaging interface and fighting system. The first one left me unmoved, I could only play a couple of hours of the second and I'll probably never bother with the third.

im considering making one thread for each game, do you think i should? :coffee:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am

Why don't you make one for each of the two dimensional characters in the game? :smoke:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SPMaximus » Mar 15, 2012 10:41 am

SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 15, 2012 10:51 am

Two dimensional? There is a lot of character development in the series.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thommo » Mar 15, 2012 10:58 am

Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 15, 2012 11:05 am

Rome Existed wrote:Two dimensional? There is a lot of character development in the series.

As said, I've only played about a third of the whole thing. But I can't say I found any of the characters that engaging. I certainly had no emotional attachment to them. I just can't stop comparing ME to Bioware's previous games Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. ME is shinier, has better graphics and is larger. But they just didn't live up to the older games imho. As I was playing ME1 I just kept wishing I was playing KotoR3.

I don't have access to ME1 any more since my pc died. But I have ME2 on my xbox. I promise I'll give it another try once I've got sick of Fallout: New Vegas.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Jumbo » Mar 15, 2012 11:05 am

Rome Existed wrote:Probably the greatest series in computer/video game history.

Really?

The Elder scrolls series have their issues but are pretty fantastic. Personally for story telling and voice work the Legacy of Kain games are immense. Then you have series which aren't quite as linked such as Civilisation and the like.

IMO there is a huge amount of hype around the Mass Effect series and it will be interesting to see if in 10 years time people still think of it as a great series.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 15, 2012 11:08 am

KOTOR2 sucked.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 15, 2012 11:11 am

The storyline wasn't as good as the first one but the user interfaced was improved and the fighting felt better. But I still enjoyed it more than ME1 & 2. :think:
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Varangian » Mar 15, 2012 10:12 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fon8d5xONLA[/youtube]

ME2 fun stuff (and a nod at some Star Trek episode, if I'm not mistaken).

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Tursas » Mar 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Remember Miranda's ass shots from ME2?

They are back.
Notice the dialogue :coffee:
"He is up to something ... " (cut to ass) " ... Something big."
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Varangian » Mar 18, 2012 9:39 pm

In ME2, I had to change from her white jumpsuit to the black, as her ass was too distracting. Not that she's that attractive (she looks a bit like a female version of John Travolta), but it stands out like a sore a- thumb.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby SPMaximus » Mar 18, 2012 10:09 pm

sore ass

SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tuco » Mar 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Jumbo wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:Probably the greatest series in computer/video game history.

Really?

The Elder scrolls series have their issues but are pretty fantastic. Personally for story telling and voice work the Legacy of Kain games are immense. Then you have series which aren't quite as linked such as Civilisation and the like.

IMO there is a huge amount of hype around the Mass Effect series and it will be interesting to see if in 10 years time people still think of it as a great series.

Indeed, it will be interesting to see if in 500 years time people still listen to Beatles or I dunno read Harry Potter. Wait, it is not the same and it is besides the point? Anyway .. I am not sure if it is, probably, the greatest series, but many find ME appealing for its ability to blend action, role playing and adventure, which is combination not many games on market today manage/aim to do.

What makes me puzzled, however, is how some people get emotionally attached either to virtual characters, worlds or/and stories. Reading BioWare boards I sometimes wonder if all those people, who seem to be disturbed by some stuff in the game, are normal.
tuco

Print view this post

#18  Postby Varangian » Mar 18, 2012 11:07 pm

My Shepard is an infiltrator. Which class do you find be the best suited for the game?

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tuco » Mar 18, 2012 11:31 pm

I would say it varies from each instalment but more importantly with playing style, but I have played with all classes only through ME2.

Best suited .. the easiest? Well played (which is immediately problematic :) Vanguard was a beast in ME2 in my opinion - zooming around with Claymore (or any other shotgun) was not only much fun but eventually kind of easy -> one man show. My first character was always Infiltrator, invisibility can be exploited on various occasions, but once strengths and weaknesses of each class are realized beating the game on Insanity, with a couple of reloads, is comfortably doable. For some classes biotic/tech combos are required to shine, like Adept, which can be a problem with AI team-mates (resolved in ME3 Multiplayer). One class I dislike and that is Soldier alas one trick pony in ME2 - Adrenaline Rush, Adrenaline Rush, Adrenaline Rush.
tuco

Print view this post

#20  Postby Mononoke » Mar 19, 2012 5:35 am

Rome Existed wrote:KOTOR2 sucked.

you suck :yuk:
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games