MMO oversaturation

Death to MMOs

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: MMO oversaturation

#41  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2012 5:56 am

Tbh, aside from WoW, the market over this part of the world is already saturated with local MMO's. There are hordes of Korean and Japanese MMO's that never get to the Western markets, but are incredibly popular here. They follow a different pay structure though - no monthly subs, but you pay for items and perks to give yourself an edge over your fellows.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Wuffy » Apr 30, 2012 7:21 am

The MMO situation will sort itself out, honestly it's impossible to have same subscribers for multiple games but people build friends and want to stay friends in the different games.

The real thing is that MMO's need to justify a monthly fee, and right now they are on the same system as a gym Membership, they charge you for the m0onth no matter how much or how little you play with no reward for all the time you COULD be hoarding their system resources and aren't. Eve is the only game that really sort of does something about that but the queue is 24 hours at most, anything longer then that will hoard your queue and you better come back within the 24 of when it runs out to throw the next thing up on the line, if you miss it pfft wasted training time.

So in other words MMO's need to reward dead time paid for.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Joe09 » Apr 30, 2012 10:22 am

Eve used to do that, but they got rid of it.
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby trubble76 » May 01, 2012 10:47 am

tuco wrote:I do not think, though I do not have relevant data, that MMO market is over-saturated for the same reasons the Internet is not - the world is not the Northern Atlantic geopolitical and cultural region and many customers/gamers wait around the world for tech/means to be able to hook up. Oh wait, I just contradicted myself? Never mind then .. It was said somewhere that to make money off MMO one needs around 100 - 300k subs. While this number may vary due to different costs of introducing MMO on the market, costs of running them on month to month basis are pretty much predictable and in comparison to revenues from subs not staggering. Now 100 - 300k subs is not really that much considering the potential the market has. My wild guess, though it seems natural, would be that in coming years we will get to see even more diversity among MMOs as more customers will enter the MMO market and more business models will become viable offering different customers products to their liking accordingly.

trubble76 wrote:I have fallen in love with the King's Bounty RPGs (yes they are based on that old game) and was surprised to learn that a MMO version was due for release soon. I remain highly sceptical, but my overwhleming love for the series might force me to take part. I suppose it depends on cost.

If you are unaware of King's Bounty, shame on you, you can buy them for dirt cheap, give it a whirl. :grin:

KB is turn based WTF? Excellent series.

Yeah, map exploring with a hexagonal turn based combat screen. I noticed that they have a version on Kongregate which I decided to try. I guess it's like a "travel version" (ie compact). It's okay I suppose, I'll wait until the full version is released before deciding that I hate it. :lol:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby tuco » Jun 19, 2012 12:13 am

This is somewhat relevant, not enough for own thread I reckon:

Korea prohibits trade of online game items

[snip]
“The main purpose of the games is for entertainment and should be used for academic and other good purposes,” said Kim Kap-soo, head of the ministry’s content policy division, Wednesday.

The government official also stressed item collecting for commercial use is a serious hindrance to creating a healthy game culture.

[snip]
For arcade games, game providers will be unable to list in-game items in their accounts as property, or handout gift certificates for item purchases.

[snip]

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/te ... 12964.html

---

a) fail to acknowledge that the only sustainable model for national success, is freedom, democracy and free enterprise
b) don't like the Chinese, gold farmer
c) for the greater good
tuco

Print view this post

#46  Postby Wiðercora » Jun 19, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm not sure that prohibiting the sale of virtual items will cause the country to collapse.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby mrjonno » Jun 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Wiðercora wrote:I'm not sure that prohibiting the sale of virtual items will cause the country to collapse.

Computer gaming as a competive sport in Korea and big money so I suspect this is about protecting one part of the sport against another,
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby tuco » Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Wiðercora wrote:I'm not sure that prohibiting the sale of virtual items will cause the country to collapse.

The quote, pun, was Mr G. Bush's own, however, prohibiting the sale of alcohol, for example, will not cause collapse in any country either.

The battle is not over as virtual property will become of increasing importance, thus interest, is my guess.
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games