Quake II gets RTX'd

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Quake II gets RTX'd

#1  Postby Alan C » Mar 19, 2019 9:44 pm

An nVidia intern with university colleagues and then a bunch of nVidia raytracing guys seem to have overhauled Quake II with raytraced VFX, shadows, reflections and lighting.

Quake II RTX raytracing

Quake II was the first PC game I ever played on my first PC, prior to that I was a die-hard Amiga user soldiering on with an A500. I saw it running in a PC shop near where I worked in the city and was hooked so I made the decision to try a PC. Think it was a Pentium 166 with a Voodoo 1 card [since then I've upgraded/rebuilt it myself many times over]. It was also my introduction to online multiplayer which I played a lot, then I got into the Action Quake mod which I played even more.
So, memories.

I'm using a GTX1080 right now so don't see a dire need to upgrade, certainly not with the current prices for 2070s or 2080s.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Quake II gets RTX'd

#2  Postby DoctorE » Mar 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I caved an got me the 2080 ti. I can play all games on ultra in 4K, 60fps.
Tomb-raider came out yesterday with raytracing/DLSS; Big fps hit on 4K ultra... dropped to 30fps at times.
System
Intel 87k
16 gig memory

I was an Amiga geek too; first A500 then A4000 :)
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 20, 2019 4:36 pm

:snooty:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#4  Postby minininja » Mar 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Meh. Loads of sunbeams and specular shiny shiny just because they can. But the gloomy lighting of the original was just as atmospheric and was achieved over 20 years ago without all that. The advances in graphics tech are mildly interesting, but it's gameplay mechanics that make a game.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan C » Mar 20, 2019 9:44 pm

DoctorE wrote:I caved an got me the 2080 ti. I can play all games on ultra in 4K, 60fps.
Tomb-raider came out yesterday with raytracing/DLSS; Big fps hit on 4K ultra... dropped to 30fps at times.
System
Intel 87k
16 gig memory

I was an Amiga geek too; first A500 then A4000 :)

I would have loved a full on A4000 with a 68060 [not the bloody sampler!]

Indeed, if the gameplay is annoying or even non-existent it just a tech demo isn't it? I haven't got that much of a retro itch myself. Although, I have thought about hunting down UAE again and some games once or twice, they were some fun times. Games like Dune 2 and anything the Bitmap Bros put out was good I thought.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Mar 20, 2019 9:59 pm

While I do admire and cheer for the technological progress in this area, personally eye-candy does not do much to my immersion and immersion, not spectacles, is what I play for.
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 20, 2019 10:40 pm

When I see those Quake maps, I can still move around them in my head. This one time, in Quake III, I railgunned three players at once. True story.

And, yes, the A4000. What a beast. One could sense the power of the 68040. I made the transition from the A500 via an A1200/030, which was also a wonderful beast.

These days, I'm just happy to run Minecraft at 4K. Although, real-time ray tracing would be nice. I can run shaders, but my laptop fans tell me this isn't a good idea.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Alan C » Mar 21, 2019 3:55 am

The BFG was funny, I found if i ever picked it up I had to use it as quick as I could before some bastard took it from me.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games