Rocketlauncher landscaping

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Rocketlauncher landscaping

#1  Postby thirsting » Jan 16, 2013 1:01 pm

While playing a shooter I happened to launch a rocket at a small ice cliff. Results: big boom, but the cliff still attached to a hill. This was disappointing.

Are there any games, where you can transform the terrain and buildings and vegetation drastically by exploding, burning, bulldozing or crashlanding a spaceship on them? Not just in places where the developers specifically scripted this specific hill or tower being able to be blown to pieces, but any hill or feature of the landscape I choose to level or turn into a crater.

I guess Dwarf Fortress, or Minecraft could, at least potentially, do this, but I'm not really interested in these. Any of the Worms series don't count either. Otherwise, any genre. Are there games that allow this, do it well, and are they any good as games otherwise?
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Rocketlauncher landscaping

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 16, 2013 1:23 pm

The Red Faction games have either the ability to affect the terrain, the first game and second I think, or to affect buildings. Far Cry 2 and 3 have a burning mechanic to damage foliage, and if you shoot at trees branches will drop off, at least with a heavy machine gun.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby thirsting » Jan 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Ooh, the Red Faction games look more or less like what I was looking for. Have to try those.

From Dust seems interesting too, but seems to contain too many technical problems at PC side to be worth it..
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mazille » Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm

thirsting wrote:Ooh, the Red Faction games look more or less like what I was looking for. Have to try those.

From Dust seems interesting too, but seems to contain too many technical problems at PC side to be worth it..

It was also boring and fiddly as all fuck. Nice idea, mind you, it just happened to be executed in a way that reminded me of the most boring parts of Black & White
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

The Red Faction games can be fun, but at the same time irritating. I still find the third, though I can't remember the name, to be the most fun I had in the series. I spent hours destroying a bridge with the hammer.

From Dust is not really what you are looking for, it is more a God Sim, with a focus on building the terrain not destroying. It worked okay on my PC but others have complained and the 360 version seems to be better. If you buy it on Steam you will still need a separate account on the program Ubisoft uses as DRM, at least I did when I bought it when it came out. I got to about level 5 or 6 before I got annoyed and stopped.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Weaver » Jan 16, 2013 5:50 pm

If you're expecting major changes in landscape from explosives, you should be disappointed. Realistic games won't show that much damage, because there simply isn't that much in reality.

You'd be surprised how smooth and uncratered even an artillery impact area can be - and they get shot a LOT.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 16, 2013 6:03 pm

You could always try Worms 2. You can rearrange the landscape with your weapons on a grand scale in that. :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby thirsting » Jan 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Weaver wrote: --- reality ---

:tongue2:

Worms 1,2 & Armageddon were all fun with friends, but can't satisfy my destruction urges anymore. And require friends. And gravity is weird, affects only worms and explosives. Floating terrain...
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#9  Postby thirsting » Jan 19, 2013 10:45 am

Bought Red Faction: Guerilla. Got a sledgehammer and suddenly everything is starting to look like a nail. Good amount of destructible buildings that can be either brought down by demolition charges, other explosives, or with the aforementioned hammer only, piece by piece. Haven't found any way to affect terrain yet though and third person view is a bother in a shooter.

Still in the very beginning, but had fun demolishing things so far. Really satisfying to see a huge building crash down, after having bounded it's supporting pillars for a while.
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 19, 2013 10:49 am

You can't affect terrain in Guerilla or Armageddon. Only in 1 and I think 2 or maybe two was only buildings as well I forget.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Damn! Should've checked which sub-forum this thread was in before clicking. I was all poised to watch something spectacular. :lol:

Battlefield games are pretty destructive.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games